Synthetic Motor Oil.....

SWL

I first started using synthetic motor oil in my car last year. I use it because I drive a lot commuting to work and apparently synthetic oil can last twice as long in between oil changes.....so it's less time for me to deal with changing the oil.

When I first seen it, the first thing that came to mind was that the dealer screwed up and put drain oil in my car by mistake.

I don't know Klipsch dudes. I'm skeptical of everything....especially these days. Are they cutting the real oil or what.....and telling us it's better? Is it good enough to get 100-150k miles out of your engine? How many people actually keep their vehicle much longer than that these days?

Any mechanics here? What say you? Enlighten me/us with some insight please. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, SWL said:

Are they cutting the real oil or what.....and telling us it's better? Is it good enough to get 100-150k miles out of your engine?

It IS real oil, but more highly refined, higher purity, and with other synthetic chemical compounds added.  Good enough for 100-150K?  That's totally dependent on the make, model, driving conditions.

Not a mechanic.

I am a male that grew up in south Charlotte, N ascar C ountry, that happened to have a master mechanic uncle.

Very picky about cars and trucks around here.

If you've always used dino oil in that engine, change it again soon with the semi or full synthetic that you are now using. That will keep the ratio of old oil in the crankcase lower.

Never had a motor that wouldn't get that many miles out of it but I never owned a vehicle that long either.

My vehicles that I put the Valvoline semi-synthetic in did run more smooth after a little while. That was only a low hp 350 in an `89 Silverado and a `97 Durango that I put it in immediately after purchasing.

Valvoline or Havoline.:dry:

There aren't any other choices.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SWL said:

Ok, what PROOF do you have that it is better? I should have asked this from the beginning.

It's more slippery than dino oil.

When you see the mileage go up a couple mpg without a change in your driving habits, you will be a believer too!!

When you see the mileage go up a couple mpg without a change in your driving habits, You will be a believer too!!
I've switched back to regular oil and I'm going to monitor things.

My car is a 2016 Hyundai Elantra GT. Synthetic oil change intervals are every 7,500 miles. By the time I get to 3,000 miles it needs a quart of oil. By the time I get to 7,500 miles it has needed typically 3 quarts of oil.

I looked into this and found that it is common for foreign cars to use this much oil. Really? All my Chevys never used oil but then again I never went over 3,000 miles in between oil changes.

This is the first I've heard that synthetic oil improves mpg.

• Sad 1

I'm a huge fan and use it in every internal combustion motor I have.  It's in my vehicles, generator and lawn equipment.  I even use synthetic 2 stroke oil.
Why are you a huge fan? How do you know that it is better? Because they are telling you it's better?

Most newer vehicles (GM in my case) only recommends synthetic oil, it's called Dexos. Synthetic will double or more your change intervals. The newest Mobile synthetic says it will go 20k miles. I have never tore apart a vehicle's engine, and I have a Chevy 1/2 ton work truck with 242k on it, still runs fine. It uses about 1/2 a quart of oil between changes, only used Castrol synthetic.

I have tore apart motorcycle engines for over 40 years, that was before synthetic was used. I raced them and rode them hard, and they always showed a lot of abuse. Over the years, I have noticed the same amount of abuse from me showed less abuse on the internals. I know some of this was due to better materials in the engine making process, and I believe a lot had to do with better oil.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, SWL said:

Why are you a huge fan? How do you know that it is better? Because they are telling you it's better?

I've been in the automotive business longer than some forum members have been alive.  I've read countless reports on synthetic vs conventional.  I've seen motors taken apart that have used synthetic vs conventional.  I've yet to see an instance or report that favors conventional over synthetic.  The ONLY area that conventional is better is the actual price of the oil itself.

• Like 4

I've seen motors taken apart that have used synthetic vs conventional.  I've yet to see an instance or report that favors conventional over synthetic.  The ONLY area that conventional is better is the actual price of the oil itself.

Now we're getting somewhere. Thank you!

20 minutes ago, SWL said:

Thanks jimjimbo. This is what I'm talking about. (From one of your links)fc16bc7ae592f8b1ed43de51fef7df62.jpg

Look, I never made any claims, or said it was better, or worse than anything else.  I never even said that I used it (which I do).  I simply posted information that I found after you asked the question.  You are welcome to read it or not, or believe it or not.  And yet you want to call me out and argue about it.

You're welcome.

Just now, SWL said:

Now we're getting somewhere. Thank you!

My brother switched to synthetic oil in his GMC after 60 or 70 thousand miles.  When you checked the oil level there was a brown tarnish on the stick right above the oil level where the stick was exposed to the crankcase fumes.  After his 3'rd synthetic oil change the stick looked brand new.

• Like 2