Synthetic Motor Oil.....

SWL

Like others said I change the semi-syn at 4k anyways. My motor, I want it clean inside!
Wow! That's a lot of oil disappearing from the motor, only changed the oil in Toyotas and Hondas for foreign cars but even ragged out never anything like that unless it needed a rebuild.
Got a Warranty on that `16?

Son of an accountant and a bookkeeper so after owning that 10mpg Charger for my first car I've always checked the gallons in to the odometer every now and then. When I did the change to syn on my chevy truck that had 50k on it I noticed an improvement in mileage right away.
How much did it improve the mpg?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

=== the only thing more intense than capacitor/crossover threads on a Klipsch Forum is oil threads in motorcycle Forums. Autos too for that matter —. 

And yes, only Group lV and Group V are true, made from the ground up synthetic oils. Their pricing tells the tale - true synthetics for example will be $10-15/quart. A lawsuit filed years ago by Castrol allowed Group lll oils to be labeled “synthetic”. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SWL said:

How much did it improve the mpg?

I've seen slight improvements although nothing drastic.  It comes from less rotating friction in the engine.  If you have a differential you can change to synthetic oil there also and get the same benefit.

Not substantially @SWL, it was like 2 - 3 mpg. To somebody who was taught to "set it up to breathe right" whenever getting a new vehicle this counts as good. Surgical cotton air filter does about the same, new plugs, "Real" ignition cables (Magnecor), non restrictive exhaust, good coat of wax.:laugh:  Possibly totals up to plus ten mpg if your very lucky! 

I'll never forget, when we would wait for hours to get gas in the first Great White Buffalo, dad said "when gas gets to 50 cents a gallon the world will end!"

Only brainwashing I think I received is driving two blocks further to get gas 1 penny cheaper!!!

Couldn't be bothered with reading all 56 posts, but here goes. Yes it's been proven time and time again that full synthetic does in fact reduce wear significantly more than pure Dino oil, or even semi synthetic. I contribute daily on the Ford Expedition forum as one of the main techs. I personally run Mobil 1 in my own Expedition. I definitely noticed a smoother running engine after my oil change. Increased mileage I did not notice, but being super slippery ,for some it might. Although synthetic oil will protect all the way out to 15k, due to dirt buildup, we recommend not longer than 10k or so. Their was an oil test years back using 3 different New York taxi cabs. One used the cheapest Kragen oil, the second the top Castrol both Dino oils. They ran both 150k, dismantled the engines, and found no difference in wear. They did the same mileage with a full synthetic oil, then dismantled, their was litteraly no wear on the motor with synthetic, their was on the other 2. Companies like Blackstone that do oil evaluations have confirmed that synthetic is better. Theirs more proof, it's not a gimmick. Porsche uses Mobil 1 from the factory on all their vehicles. That should be proof at how good the oil is. I've been a mechanic for close to 48 years now, and very few things impress me, full synthetic oil is one. Well that's my 2cents!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Couldn't be bothered with reading all 56 posts, but here goes. Yes it's been proven time and time again that full synthetic does in fact reduce wear significantly more than pure Dino oil, or even semi synthetic. I contribute daily on the Ford Expedition forum as one of the main techs. I personally run Mobil 1 in my own Expedition. I definitely noticed a smoother running engine after my oil change. Increased mileage I did not notice, but being super slippery ,for some it might. Although synthetic oil will protect all the way out to 15k, due to dirt buildup, we recommend not longer than 10k or so. Their was an oil test years back using 3 different New York taxi cabs. One used the cheapest Kragen oil, the second the top Castrol both Dino oils. They ran both 150k, dismantled the engines, and found no difference in wear. They did the same mileage with a full synthetic oil, then dismantled, their was litteraly no wear on the motor with synthetic, their was on the other 2. Companies like Blackstone that do oil evaluations have confirmed that synthetic is better. Theirs more proof, it's not a gimmick. Porsche uses Mobil 1 from the factory on all their vehicles. That should be proof at how good the oil is. I've been a mechanic for close to 48 years now, and very few things impress me, full synthetic oil is one. Well that's my 2cents!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Thanks very much Moosee. Great info based on first hand professional experience. [emoji106]

1 hour ago, jason str said:

Just a heads up but oil only goes through the filter when oil pressure is low like idling hot at a light otherwise it goes through the bypass.

I don't think that is exactly right and I can tell you why. I have an engine with a "filter bypass" warning light that turns on anytime the bypass is active. That only happens when the filter is clogged and I don't waste anytime changing the filter when it activates the bypass.

3 hours ago, SWL said:

I first started using synthetic motor oil in my car last year. I use it because I drive a lot commuting to work and apparently synthetic oil can last twice as long in between oil changes.....so it's less time for me to deal with changing the oil.

When I first seen it, the first thing that came to mind was that the dealer screwed up and put drain oil in my car by mistake.

I don't know Klipsch dudes. I'm skeptical of everything....especially these days. Are they cutting the real oil or what.....and telling us it's better? Is it good enough to get 100-150k miles out of your engine? How many people actually keep their vehicle much longer than that these days?

Any mechanics here? What say you? Enlighten me/us with some insight please. Thanks!

Historical Facts(borrowed from wayback machine since synlube website was down)

C. Friedler and J.M. Crafts synthesize the first "synthetic" hydrocarbons.

Friedrich Bergius in Germany develops Hydrogenation process for production of synthetic oil from coal dust

Standard Oil in USA produces one barrel of synthetic oil from one ton of shale rock

Friedrich Bergius in Germany develops commercial process for hydrogenation of coal to synthetic oil

In Germany Franz Fisher and Hans Tropsch develop Synthetic Oil industrial production process

I.G. Farben acquired the patent rights to the Bergius hydrogenation process for production of synthetic oil from coal

I.G. Farben's Leuna works start synthetic oil production

Standard Oil of Indiana makes the first attempt at commercial development of synthetic hydrocarbons

Many gallons of synthetic oil were made by polymerization of different olefins.

1930-34
Union Carbide and Carbon Corp develop and investigate the applications of water soluble Polyalkylene Glycol (PAG)

Nobel Prize for Chemistry: 
Friedrich Bergius & Carl Bosch 

Invention and development of chemical high pressure methods (used for synthetic oil production)

I.G. Farben investment into synthetic fuels production from coal

Adolf Hitler in Germany starts Major synthetic fuels and oil program

First Polyalphaolefins were synthesized

Fischer-Tropsh process that used carbon monoxide and hydrogen to make synthetic oils and fuels was commercialized in Germany

1942-45
PAG synthetic oils used in fleets and commercial vehicles

1944-1954
10% of German supply of lubricating oil is "synthetic", made by using three different processes

US Army aircraft operating in Alaska and Canada use PAG engine oils

1944-45
The idea of using colloidal solids in synthetic fluids for lubrication of the first jet engines is tested and researched in Germany

National Carbide Company, Inc. markets the "First" commercial PAG engine oils

Prestone Motor Oil 

New York Power & Light Corp uses PAG engine oils in variety of their commercial vehicles.

1942-1955
Diester oils used in turbine engines because Petroleum oil simply was inadequate to meet the demands of these engines.

Texaco produces Synthetic Aircraft Turbine Oil

1962-66
U.S. Army experiences significant problems in operating vehicles and equipment in Alaska with 
MIL-L-10295 Lubricating Oil.

Mobil introduces fully synthetic grease

First Syn! Synthetic Super Lubricants produced in Canada

Motul introduces first semi-synthetic motor oil in France

U.S. Army develops MIL-L-46167 specification, which can be satisfied only with PAO synthetic oil

SynLube Company is formed in Vancouver, B.C. Canada � it�s specialty the first "syn-sol".

1970�s
Arab Oil embargo prompts interest in "synthetic" oils

Motul in France introduces first all-synthetic oil in Europe

AMSOIL is formed and markets re-labeled MIL specification oils to motoring public through multi-level "pyramid" type organization.

Mobil test markets Mobil 1 synthetic SAE 5W-20 "synthesized engine lubricant"

Mobil 1 goes national in USA and changes the product description to "synthetic" motor oil

Mobil introduces second generation synthetic motor oil Mobil 1 available as SAE 5W-30 and 15W-50

SynLube in Canada produces first SAE 5W-50 all synthetic motor oil

Agip in Italy introduces synthetic motor oil SAE 10W-50

U.S. Army uses the MIL-L-46167 lubes in other than arctic conditions.

Mobil only in Europe introduces Rally Formula Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil SAE 5W-50

Quaker State introduces line of Synquest synthetic lubricants: grease NLGI No.2 GC-LB, motor oil SAE 5W-50 and gear oil SAE 75W-90

SynLube opens sales office in Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Chevron introduces synthetic motor oil 

SAE 5W-30 and 5W-50

Mobil introduces Advanced Formula Mobil 1 motor oil SAE 5W-30, 10W-30 and 15W-50

Formulation of first SAE 0W-60 motor oil in Germany 

Valvoline introduces synthetic motor oil 

SAE 5W-30, 10W-30 and 20W-50

CASTROL introduces Syntec SAE 5W-50 motor oil based on PAO 

Texaco introduces Havoline Synthetic motor oil SAE 5W-40

Pennzoil introduces Performax synthetic motor oil SAE 5W-50

Sunoco introduces DynaTech synthetic engine oils SAE 20W-50 and 5W-40

Sta-Lube launches marketing of synthetic gear oils and synthetic industrial grease

Pep Boys starts selling synthetic motor oil under their own brand name 

SAE 5W-30, 10W-30 and 20W-50

Petrolon introduces synthetic motor oil under Slick 50 brand name

Synthoil starts marketing of SAE 10W-30 synthetic motor oil

CASTROL reformulates Syntec motor oils with API Group III (petroleum) base stock from Shell

SynLube introduces SynLube� Lube-4-Life � 
"The FIRST oil you do NOT change" !

Mobil introduces Mobil 1 "Tri-synthetic" version of their motor oil

NAD rules that hydroisomerized base oils (Group III) can be classified as "synthetic oils"

Exxon and Mobil merges to ExxonMobil.

Mobil 1 introduces Synthetic-Blend motor oil

Mobil 1 introduces Synthetic motor oil with SuperSyn.

2 minutes ago, SWL said:

But I don't trust what that label says. Catch my drift? Is there another way?

Not a cost effective way.

How do you know you get premium at the pump when you select it?  How do you know that the vodka isn't watered down in the bottle at the bar?  How do you know the nutritional label on the cereal box is accurate?

1 minute ago, SWL said:

But I don't trust what that label says. Catch my drift? Is there another way?

=== if you’re saying you can’t/don’t trust what oil is in the labeled container from reputable oil companies I can only imagine the dilemmas you face everyday from each and every labeled product you use. That must make for grueling decisions — 

Not a cost effective way.
How do you know you get premium at the pump when you select it?  How do you know that the vodka isn't watered down in the bottle at the bar?  How do you know the nutritional label on the cereal box is accurate?
Exactly.

=== if you’re saying you can’t/don’t trust what oil is in the labeled container from reputable oil companies I can only imagine the dilemmas you face everyday from each and every labeled product you use. That must make for grueling decisions — 
I live in the US. What planet do you live on? LOL

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Most newer vehicles (GM in my case) only recommends synthetic oil, it's called Dexos. Synthetic will double or more your change intervals. The newest Mobile synthetic says it will go 20k miles. I have never tore apart a vehicle's engine, and I have a Chevy 1/2 ton work truck with 242k on it, still runs fine. It uses about 1/2 a quart of oil between changes, only used Castrol synthetic.

I have tore apart motorcycle engines for over 40 years, that was before synthetic was used. I raced them and rode them hard, and they always showed a lot of abuse. Over the years, I have noticed the same amount of abuse from me showed less abuse on the internals. I know some of this was due to better materials in the engine making process, and I believe a lot had to do with better oil.

I use motorex in my bike..

IMG_20181106_163200.jpg