K-510 horns ... driver recommendations?

Emile

Hi All,

Finally getting some extra K-510 horns ... see story in footnote :)  Have a set of KPT-904's with the K-510 horns with B&C DE75 drivers.  Absolutely awesome; so wanted another set to play with :D Planning on using my miniDSP to set cutoffs in conjunction with Forte's or Cornwall's.

OK; horns are on the way from Klipsch. Whoopie :D 

Tried finding B&C DE75 drivers and found a couple for $200++. Seems this is and old model, superseded by the B&C DE750TN (? comments ?). See https://www.parts-express.com/bc-de750tn-8-2-titanium-horn-driver-8-ohm-4-bolt--294-615?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzpuD6bK23gIVR57ACh0RjQwPEAQYASABEgLL9vD_BwE .  Not sure I want to spend $277 each :(  (Haha; I'm down 20% in the market due to great stocks like Apple, Amazon, Facebook and Netflix :( watching my pennies .)

Also found Selenium D3300Ti drivers at Parts Express. https://www.parts-express.com/selenium-d3300ti-dpd-2-titanium-horn-driver-4-bolt--299-2319 .  On paper these seem just as good (or better) as the B&C drivers ... and only $139 each :D  Very tempted, but was hoping for some advise.

Anyone with experience on these ... or opinions ... or other suggested drivers?

Appreciate your input.

Thanks and Cheers, Emile

Note:  Been trying to get a second set of K-510's for months now without any luck.  Read some old threats and found that Klipsch does sell the 501 horns in Canada :) From various discussions, "understood" that Klipsch USA does NOT sell these WITHOUT drivers. So, ordered a set from the Ontario distributor at $65 each.  (Thought it was a good buy since the last "single" 510 on this forum was listed for $125.) Then was told they (contractually) cannot ship to the US. Tried to get some friendly Canadian to "transship" these to me for a $50 bonus :)  No "biters" yet. :(  So, just for the hell of it called Klipsch.  YES; "no problem;" we have 3 in stock ... $19 each.  HAHA; was willing to spend $200 for a pair :D  Ordered them and they should be on the way :) Even if I get the B&C drivers for them, I should have much less $$ in a pair vs buying them "direct" for about $750 each. :D 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rmlowz said:

I think Klipsch parts department phone lines will be busier than normal tomorrow

Haha ... guy I talked to at Klipsch did not even know what "horns" were :( .  The pair I ordered were Klipsch part number 131027. They showed 3 in stock ... sorry :( only 1 left now.  NO CLUE if they have mumps, etc :D  Hey, for $19 each I'll take my chances and see what arrives :D 

FYI; "he" told me there were 3 different models of this horn available ... painted, ?? and ?? So they should have more :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dave1290 said:

Thought you were going w/poster board speakers a couple months ago

Poster board ... EXCUSE ME ... genuine kevlar :D  Yes, was fun building these transducer speakers ... just not much response below 200Hz ... will have to play some more with them before throwing them in the trash :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

re-fabbed console?

It's awesome :D  Put in a Marantz 2238B and an Oppo DVD player (with the Rf-3 horns/woofers).  Highly recommend a project like this ... great for a "small" room like my "Florida room /lanai." Still have to put some finishing touches on it ... just got some 1" corner moulding shipped from HomeDepot ... haha; 8 ft box, free shipping. (Only because I bought $400 of wood from them to fix my front porch ... Jeez; could have done this job in 2 days 20 years ago ... bit older now :( ... going on day 5 and only 50% done :( )

Cheers, Emile

OK; BACK TO DRIVERS PLEASE :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Emile said:

Also found Selenium D3300Ti drivers at Parts Express.

3 hours ago, Emile said:

Haha ... bump ... anyone on Selenium drivers?

I have not listened to those, but the spec sheet looks good and the price is a bargain. What woofer and crossover frequency are you planning to use?

• Thanks 1

Man that’s lucky. I paid considerably more for mine I got from the museum used with a k69. New price the best I could find was over $650ea

But yes I have like new k691s for sale. I just pulled them off my Jubilees yesterday. They really have very little play time on them. And I’m certain they’ve never seen more than 2w. t4cCsPW.jpg4qnwHdg.jpg8CbXJ6E.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

the spec sheet looks good and the price is a bargain. What woofer and crossover frequency are you planning to use?

Yeah ... frequency chart looks nice and flat :)  Not sure what woofer to use yet ... probably will "test" them on top of my Cornwall's with a steep electronic crossover at 500/600/??.

Thanks, Emile

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

allegedly the K-691 is a B&C driver with a harden diaphragm.  I would shop around for some Faital PROs HF200's or similar.   I wouldn't be surprised if a pair couldn't be had for around $400.00 on the used market. 

Hi Dude,

Yeah, had seen some negative comments on the K-691's (in comparison to the B&C's). Not sure why ... :( 

Have heard good reports on the Faital drivers ... but ... they are 1.4 inch drivers not "true" 2 inches.  Mismatch or ??? (Haha, a very long term and very outstanding member just offered me a pair for $400 :D )

Thanks, Emile