K-510 horns ... driver recommendations?

Emile

18 minutes ago, Emile said:

One of the recommendations is for ElectroVoice EV DH1A drivers

I did not care for the EV Dh1a, I prefer the B&C or Faital.   Even though the EV is lower cost, the extra couple hundred for the other two are worth it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Great; thanks a lot.  But ... have heard some negative comments on this driver.  Have not been able to find a frequency chart :(  Anyone?

Thanks, Emile

What negativity did you hear? I don’t think Roy would have chose it if there was an issue. It’s just a b&c de750. No one has confirmed the hardening of the factory diaphragms that I’m aware of, but I know klipsch buys lots of them and rejects several if they aren’t up to their standards. It is said to be a nice improvement over the older k69/de75. It is what they use in the reknown ki-396 that people are loving with a k510. 

Either way, best of luck to you. There are a lot of nice drivers out there. 

• Thanks 1

Didn't know which driver was in the 396s.   It is very much to my liking thus far.   Not insanely expensive either in case there is ever an issue.   

From parts express:

• Delivers smooth response, very high efficiency, and outstanding sonic properties
  • Compares to the best 2" drivers available
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AHall said:

What negativity did you hear? I don’t think Roy would have chose it if there was an issue. It’s just a b&c de750.

OK; now I am REALLY LOST :D  Are you saying the Klipsch K-691 driver is a "rebranded" B&C DE750???? (Not much negativity ... but most seem to prefer the B&C ... doesn't make any sense if they are the same :( ) Please advise.

Many thanks, Emile

Add-on ... maybe I was comparing "older" horns with the K-69 vs the B&C :( 

Add-on #2 ... per MetropolisOutfitters about a year ago ... "The K-691 is in fact a rebranded B&C 75, they had them at the factory right next to each other.  They'd get inspected, then a sticker put on.  I've been told in the past that it's actually slightly modified, that the diaphram is hardened.  Also been told that a sticker simply gets put on and that's it, so I'm not sure. "

There are many rumors on this. Some say they are re-badged B&C drivers, other have claimed (At least for the predecessor K69) it was made by PAudio. In either case don't assume what you can get from a vendor has the same quality control as what Klipsch would receive. 

As far as a recommendation, I like the JBL 2445 or 2446 drivers. They are $700-800 new, $125-150 used on eBay. The OEM diaphragms are about $75, If you want BE diaphragms there are aftermarket ones from Truextent for about $650. A used 2446 with a Be diaphragm puts you in roughly the same ballpark (quality) as  TAD 4002 at a fraction of the price. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Found some B&C DE750 drivers on eBay for $150 each.  Any good? Not sure if these are the successor to the DE75 or???

Thanks, Emile

Add-on ... these are 16 ohm units ... still have no clue whether to use 8 or 16 ohms :( 

After doing a little looking around I believe they are the de75. Just comparing pictures back and forth. It looks to me the de750 has a chrome ring just before the magnet. Both the de75 and k691 are black in the area. I was under the impression the k69 was a de75 and the k691 was a de750. The k69 clearly is a different manufacturer. That agrees what I read earlier about them being PAudio drivers. 

I will say this. The radians I just installed are better than the k691s. But slightly smoother and a little better highs. As in bells and symbals are more sharp and precise like glass breaking. The k691 was a little more rolled off sounding. It’s funny that I swore the music couldn’t be improved any better than i was hearing with them. The k691s really do sound that good. Completely unnecessary that I upgraded them. I’d say they are 5-10% at most over the k691. And they were almost $1000. So take that unbiased mini review for what it is. It’s really splitting hairs at this level in my opinion. DNS3W4R.jpg

• Thanks 2

I have the 691s on my Jubs and I have been enjoying.  I can hear their limitations when it comes to clarity when comparing against my TAD 4002s across the room.  They are not as clear nor as smooth as the TADs.  But still, they are fine and I think they are the best 2" Klipsch driver I have heard in my systems.  I can listen to them all night long and they sound great with any type of music.

I am funny about drivers on Klipsch horns.  You can surely find what you may say is a better sounding driver, and a driver that measures better.  Yes you can.  I have tried several.  I have rejected a few because to me (my opinion), they stray from what I consider to be the "Klipsch sound", or the "right" sound.  What is the "Klipsch sound"?  I have no idea how to describe it.  But I know when I hear it and when I don't.

You can't go wrong with 691s and they are inexpensive.

• Like 4

I have both the DE75 and the DE750.  The I will have to double check, but I think I have the de75 on my older 510 ( no mumps model) and the DE750 on my 402's.  I couldn't really tell if I hear a difference.  Then again, the environment doesn't have much for the ability to control the sound.  If you can get a pair of the DE750 for $150.00 each, then  I would jump on it.  I think it is a way better driver than the EV DH1A.  My next option would be the Faitals and if price wasn't an option, I would try the JBL 2446 with the BE diaphragms.  As for your 8 or 16 ohm issue, if you are using an active crossover, I don't think it matters.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I have both the DE75 and the DE750.  The I will have to double check, but I think I have the de75 on my older 510 ( no mumps model) and the DE750 on my 402's.  I couldn't really tell if I hear a difference.  Then again, the environment doesn't have much for the ability to control the sound.  If you can get a pair of the DE750 for $150.00 each, then  I would jump on it.  I think it is a way better driver than the EV DH1A.  My next option would be the Faitals and if price wasn't an option, I would try the JBL 2446 with the BE diaphragms.  As for your 8 or 16 ohm issue, if you are using an active crossover, I don't think it matters.

Thanks Dude :D 

Yes; am a bit cheap on this as i am just trying a set of 510's with drivers in a separate  room. (Have 510/DE75's in my main system.)  So; just "playing."  Made a member an offer on K-691's ... also found DE750's for $150 each ... and HAHA a pair of EV DH1A's for $100.  

For "others" that were interested in the 510 horns ... package will arrive tomorrow.  It's 8 pounds, so I'm pretty sure it does have horns in it :D :) 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

OK; getting the K-691's from Adam ... haha; IF my package contains 510 horns.

Bid on some EV DH1A's on FleaBay. Thought I could get them for $100 ... nah ... almost $200 with shipping ... not worth if after "your" reviews :D 

Nice weather here in Florida ... bit hot; it's 86F outside ... jeez 88F in the house ... yes, AC is out ... diagnosis of course a PC board ...  if we're lucky they can replace it tomorrow ... if not, Monday/Tuesday/who knows :( 

Time for some cold Chardonnay :) 

Cheers, Emile

2 minutes ago, Emile said:

OK; getting the K-691's from Adam ... haha; IF my package contains 510 horns.

Bid on some EV DH1A's on FleaBay. Thought I could get them for $100 ... nah ... almost $200 with shipping ... not worth if after "your" reviews :D 

Nice weather here in Florida ... bit hot; it's 86F outside ... jeez 88F in the house ... yes, AC is out ... diagnosis of course a PC board ...  if we're lucky they can replace it tomorrow ... if not, Monday/Tuesday/who knows :( 

Time for some cold Chardonnay :) 

Cheers, Emile

When you get the 6 ohm version with original diaphragms, the DH1A is an excellent driver, right up there with the JBL 2446 (although I prefer 16 ohm drivers which use smaller capacitors). I have owned several  of each. About 10 years ago I brought a DH1A to Indy and Roy Delgado tested it for me in the chamber. He said it was a very good driver. At almost 1/2 the price of a JBL, it's the bargain of the century at $100 a pop, which is what I paid 10 years ago. Considering inflation, they should go for more today. It's the driver John Pope used for his PhD thesis and to convince Paul Klipsch that Tractrix horns were better than Exponential, all proven with math and measurements in the original Hope anechoic chamber built by Jim Hunter.

• Thanks 1