K-510 horns ... driver recommendations?

Emile

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

i can agree with you on that, though i used that driver on the EV Hp9040 and hp640. i never cared for the sound of the hp9040 so i sold them and bought the 640 (which i had once before with the Faitals and loved). Didn't care for them with the DH1A. Sold them and took your advice from 4 years ago and purchased k402s, swapped out the 3 way (which i know you love with the k1133) for the b&c de750 as a two way and have been quit happy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The JBL 2360 "elephant butt cheek" horns were a much smoother than the EV Hp9040. I got my pair locally from a guy whose sister married Ted Nugent (great stories). Don Keele won an Academy Award (presented by a young Charlize Theron) for that horn design. It's the next best thing to a K-402, but no contest. I still have 3 HP 640s's and they seem to have the best balance of sound from EV, although you don't want to cross them too low. I also have 2-way K402's with the super expensive TADs, which are hard to beat. However, the latest Titanium technology from the Italians does a damn good job, as indicated by yours and others' feedback here.

"Beginner's" question.  Thanks to Klipsch and AHall, I'll have an other nice set of 510/691's soon :D  Yes, will properly hook them up (haha, later ??) with correct crossovers :)  But, of course I'm impatient ... can I just hook them up to my amp (without the proper xovers) to try them WITHOUT doing any harm??

Thanks a lot, Emile

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Emile said:

"Beginner's" question.  Thanks to Klipsch and AHall, I'll have a nice set of 501/691's soon :D  Yes, will properly hook them up (haha, later ??) with correct crossovers :)  But, of course I'm impatient ... can I just hook them up to my amp (without the proper xovers) to try them WITHOUT doing any harm??

Thanks a lot, Emile

Knew a guy long ago who had his dad fix up "quick connects" for his speakers into his amp.  Dunno why so don't ask.  His dad hooked him right up w/lamp cord w/electrical plugs on the ends, which plugged into outlets he'd wired up from his amp.  Kid took his system somewhere for a party w/about 100 kids.  Gonna rock the house til a buddy took his speakers and set them up...  Yup he did...  Plugged both speakers into a wall outlet!!!  I almost peed myself when I heard the boom then saw smoke and fire!!!  So yea Emile, have your wife take a video for us...  😂  😎

• Haha 1

Don’t do it man!

What was it Chris Rock said in one of his routines?

Just because you CAN, doesn’ t make it a good _ ing idea! LOL!

Run some leads to one of the other crossovers on another pair of speakers.

Disconnect the tweeters if it a 3-way.

...I’m too late aren’t I...?

• Thanks 1

Your post here co-incided with the arrival of some EV DH1A’s from the states. I think we are all on convering paths here...horns, folded horns, and bigger horns...

Got hung up in rotating postal strikes up here, but I got ONE hooked up today for a direct comparison with the Faital Pro HF200.

My git-ar playin’ son thought the EV sounded better.

I am partial to the Faital Pro, but I am also biased because I know I paid almost 4X as much for them...!

Keep in mind neither of these are EQ’d. Just standard tone controls.

On a budget, the EV is a no-brainer, but man is it BIG! So big it sits perfectly flat on the K510.

AB805B1A-37C5-48AA-9B5C-7290D3D7AEFE.jpeg

• Like 2

Anyone has any ideas on "minimalist" stands for these 510/691 horns? They are too nice just to sit on top of some speakers ... yes; can build a box for it, but have no clue where they will end up, so don't have final box dimensions.  Like @No.4's stands (see pic)  ... just a lot more work than I want to do ... was thinking just a 1x? on the front bottom with a brace for the driver.

Thanks, Emile

F06E16C3-A816-4A05-B623-8CBAC317A197.jpeg

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:50 AM, Emile said:

OK, present from Klipsch ... K-510 horns

IMG_2176.JPG

Emile,   I still have the brackets you gave me. Have not use them yet because the mounting hole offset did not match my non-Klipsch flange. I can drill them out in the future, but for now they are available if you need the brackets for your new 510s.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Emile,   I still have the brackets you gave me. Have not use them yet because the mounting hole offset did not match my non-Klipsch flange. I can drill them out in the future, but for now they are available if you need the brackets for your new 510s.

Haha ... AWESOME :D  Think those brackets would be easier than trying to build a new frame :)  If you are sure, yes I'd like to try them with my "new" 510's. Thank you very, very much :D 

PM send with info.

On 11/10/2018 at 9:07 PM, Emile said:

"Beginner's" question.  Thanks to Klipsch and AHall, I'll have an other nice set of 510/691's soon :D  Yes, will properly hook them up (haha, later ??) with correct crossovers :)  But, of course I'm impatient ... can I just hook them up to my amp (without the proper xovers) to try them WITHOUT doing any harm??

Thanks a lot, Emile

Sure, just make sure you use a 40 microfarad capacitor in series first, unless you really really like expensive surprises!

• Thanks 1