K-510 horns ... driver recommendations?

Emile

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

I have both the DE75 and the DE750.  The I will have to double check, but I think I have the de75 on my older 510 ( no mumps model) and the DE750 on my 402's.  I couldn't really tell if I hear a difference.  Then again, the environment doesn't have much for the ability to control the sound.  If you can get a pair of the DE750 for $150.00 each, then  I would jump on it.  I think it is a way better driver than the EV DH1A.  My next option would be the Faitals and if price wasn't an option, I would try the JBL 2446 with the BE diaphragms.  As for your 8 or 16 ohm issue, if you are using an active crossover, I don't think it matters.

Nothing personal here, but where are your CURVES to back up your assertions. I have curves (otherwise known as objective data vs. subjective opinion) of the DH1A that would disagree with your conclusions. That being said, I do agree that the 2446 is a great platform for the True Xtent Beryllium diaphragms that come rally close to TADs in performance...............sez a different other Dude.

• Haha 1

Do my ears hear curves? no... so to be more specific, for whatever reason, i didn't care for the sound of the DH1A vs either the B&C or Faitals. Maybe they're such a great driver my ears arent worthy enough for them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AHall said:

Lucky dog. They have any more in stock?

Haha :D  When I called them they had three of these 131027 models. So there possibly is ONE left.  However, the guy I talked to (who was not familiar with these) said they had three different models ... painted AND ??? AND ???.  So they have "more;" just do not know what they are. :) 

You're a lucky dog @Emile. Now i just wish Klipsch would get their shiit together and let all who want to purchase to do so. Instead of you might get lucky if you call on the right day and talk to the right person after doing magic incantations and howling at the moon properly. Who is running that company?

I'm happy for you, the rest of us can eat shiit i guess:(

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, babadono said:

You're a lucky dog @Emile. Now i just wish Klipsch would get their shiit together and let all who want to purchase to do so. Instead of you might get lucky if you call on the right day and talk to the right person after doing magic incantations and howling at the moon properly. Who is running that company?

Bon appetit ... sorry; could not resist :) 

But, I do know that Canadian distributors DO sell the horns by themselves (had ordered a pair). They just will not ship to the US. So; if you know someone in Canada that is willing to "trans-ship," it may be possible :) 

Add-on ... distributor I found was Gentec International, Ontario ... they are on the web

14 hours ago, The Dude said:

Do my ears hear curves? no... so to be more specific, for whatever reason, i didn't care for the sound of the DH1A vs either the B&C or Faitals.

Maybe they're such a great driver my ears arent worthy enough for them.

Maybe you tested a set with 3rd party replacement Diaphragms, which are crap compared to the original ones from Electro Voice?

I owned many samples of all the drivers you speak of and the DH1a's with the ORIGINAL diaphragms measured and sounded very consistent from driver to driver.

Either way, it doesn't matter, since the OP went in a different direction.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, babadono said:

=== oh yes, the 510 horn is the Klipsch version of the shitt sandwich and we all have to take a bite - ! And this coming from two guys with Jubes staring us in the face —=

• Haha 1

Maybe you tested a set with 3rd party replacement Diaphragms, which are crap compared to the original ones from Electro Voice?

I owned many samples of all the drivers you speak of and the DH1a's with the ORIGINAL diaphragms measured and sounded very consistent from driver to driver.

Either way, it doesn't matter, since the OP went in a different direction.
nope, they were labeled electro voice 6 ohm.

54 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Well then, you must be hyper sensitive to their unique "titanium sound," which is different for modern day drivers, including Faitals, which I own also. Some can tell and some can't, so obviously you can.

Admittedly, I used mine in a 3-way configuration with B&C Tweeters..........IOW, letting them roll off at 6 db/octave in a CD horn, rather than PEQ the crap out of them to get more output at 12 Khz. which is where the ringing begins to show up, so I never experienced the anomalies that others claim to hear (no doubt on my part, just avoidance).

20 hours ago, The Dude said:

Also, I forgot to mention (it's been years) that even with a great driver, when it's coupled to a different horn than it was designed for, it will not sound like the designer intended. Same goes for the Xover, so it's easy to blame the Driver for bad sound when it could be any number of other things.

• Like 1

Also, I forgot to mention (it's been years) that even with a great driver, when it's coupled to a different horn than it was designed for, it will not sound like the designer intended. Same goes for the Xover, so it's easy to blame the Driver for bad sound when it could be any number of other things.
i can agree with you on that, though i used that driver on the EV Hp9040 and hp640. i never cared for the sound of the hp9040 so i sold them and bought the 640 (which i had once before with the Faitals and loved). Didn't care for them with the DH1A. Sold them and took your advice from 4 years ago and purchased k402s, swapped out the 3 way (which i know you love with the k1133) for the b&c de750 as a two way and have been quit happy.