Power outage, now slight hiss/buzzing!

K5SS

I was going to put this in the Solid State section but I figured I would get more help here.

We had a windstorm a couple days ago and yesterday, when I turned on my HT, I noticed a constant hiss/buzz coming from my speakers. 

* Full disclosure, I haven’t had a chance to trouble shoot just yet but I am planning to do so this evening*

Here are the relevant components:

Denon AVR-X3400H (processor only)

B&K 200.7 S2

Klipsch KL-650 x3 (B&K drives speakers)

Panamax M5400

I would have hoped that the expensive surge protector would have stopped a surge from causing issues with the B&K but I am not sure.

To make things even more confusing on the troubleshooting side is that I also switched from having my front 3 set to small to setting them to large and dropping the subwoofers, the night of the windstorm. My brain is now questioning if that slight hiss/buzz was there when I made that switch but I definitely don’t remember it but I also didn’t put my ear up to the horns either.

Here is my plan tonight:

1.) Set the speakers to small and see if that fixes it. 

2.)  Unplug the amp and try a different outlet in the Panamax. I believe I have it plugged into one of the two “high current” outlets now.

3.) Replace the fuse in the B&K as I ordered a bunch extra.

4.) try plugging the B&K directly into an outlet but this concerns me, due to us approaching our stormy season where power outages are more frequent.

5.) If all else fails, I will start using the onboard amps in the Denon and take the B&K in for service. 

It couldn’t be a ground loop, right? If there wasn’t a ground loop issue in the past, one wouldn’t just pop up due to a power outage, right? I literally know nothing about electrical panels and house electrical systems so any assistance in helping me get this resolved would be greatly appreciated! 

4 minutes ago, K5SS said:

We had a windstorm a couple days ago and yesterday, when I turned on my HT, I noticed a constant hiss/buzz coming from my speakers.

If all your testing doesn't isolate the cause, the windstorm aspect would make me wonder about the possibility there could be a problem with the wiring or transformer that feeds power to your neighborhood.

• Like 1

Try plugging in temporarily into another outlet, see if anything changes. Like Khorn said it could be dirty power from outside. Or maybe your wall plug took a jolt, and may have to be replaced. Do you have a plug in receptacle diagnostic tool. The one I have is yellow, and has 3 lights on end to diagnose wall socket wiring. You can pick one up at any electrical or hardware store.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Sometime a limb/tree can fall before the transformer outside or entering from into the home causing a line surge of some magnitude, hopefully small. Would unplug possible effected units for a bit, thinking that any static or remnants from will discharge. Unplugging coaxial and other cables if not problematic also.

A good surge protector and line conditioner may prevent future anomaly. Expensive ones not necessary.

Good fortune...

Ooops, just saw Panamax which I trust somewhat. If hooked adequately with good house ground, may have helped some...

• Like 1

I had a very nice Furman power conditioner/surge protector that I loved but I sold it because I am over the top when it comes to blue lights in my system. The Panamax blue lights lured me away from the Furnan. Now I sit here questioning if I would be having the same issue if I kept the Furman.

No need to Muddy the waters with with crazy “what if’s” at this point. Time to troubleshoot! 

Moosee, I will grab one of those outlet testers on the way home. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moosee1955 said:

The one I have is yellow, and has 3 lights on end to diagnose wall socket wiring. You can pick one up at any electrical or hardware store.

One caveat about these, they will not diagnose if ground and neutral are reversed. Of course a wind storm could not cause a person's house wiring to magically change. Now back to the thread.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Did you bypass the surge protector for a quick test without it in the loop?  in case it took a surge hit and is not working properly,.

It is a process to pull everything out to have access. Last night, I was glued to my TV for election night. 

Tonight is is my night to pull everything apart to do some wire management and troubleshooting. Should be fun..

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to update everyone on this, in case anyone was interested.

I had to head out of town for a couple days, after creating this thread and so just now remembered it.

We ended up unplugging everything, while we were gone, and when I plugged everything back in, everything is normal. This sounds very strange to me but I am very happy.

Now that I am scrutinizing everything, I do hear a slight hiss when I put my ear right up to the horn but it is so slight, the hiss might have have been there before. Probably to be expected, for an amp in this power range and the Ultra’s sensitivity. 

Unless one or some of you feel differently, of course. 

Pretty happy though! 

• Like 2