denon 103r anyone ?

joessportster

I am using the denon 103 R with the Parks Puffin Phono Pre. The sound is very good but my memory says its a bit bright. I have had some very high end (ish) vinyl rigs in the past (that was years ago now) I am trying to decide if it is the source, the pre or the cart. That makes me think it is a bit bright. the rest of the setup is not the issue as it sounds great with digital.  The LP are new 180 gram press. perhaps it is the mastering.  How do I go about checking without spending $$$$$$$ on a new cartridge or pre.................................Anyone

Do not know your phono stage. Do know Denmon DL-103r.

Setup is critical. Like the 103r at;

Loading at 100 - 200 ohms.

VTF around 2.3 Gr.

VTA set where cartridge has slight “tail dragger” stance. That is the rear slightly lower than the front.

If still bright it points to the phono stage. 

• Like 1

I'd guess it's the cartridge. I've had both the standard 103 (non-R) and the 103R Denon, vanilla version as well as both R and non-R from Zu.

I wanted to like/keep the R because it cost more, thus had to be "better" and because of all the hype... I figured I must be wrong.

I eventually trusted my ears. To me the R is too bright/harsh. I think most of the love you read about it is from non-horn/Klipsch users. 

I've spent the bulk of my vinyl hours with the two Zu versions and just last year sold the R. Zero regrets. 

Are you hearing bright or sibilance?

It's definitely not the puffin... the parks unit is extremely adjustable including loading and dsp signal processing.

Frankly the 103r was better with my rega table and rb arm, but with the eat it wasn't quite as good... but it wasn't bright. 

I did have to work at the set up to tame some sibilance initially, but it was definetely a set up issue. I always considered the 103r on this table as a compromise and not the ultimate pairing.

It is the EAT C Sharp, they dont discuss mass on the arm that I have found. I am hoping Cartridge. It is set up pretty well looks good on the protractor, and the vta is as low as it can go without the cantilever / stylus hitting the record when raised to slide it into play.

No sibilance it is the overall sound..................Sounds like I will be offering up the 103R and looking elsewhere for a cart.  I remember the Grado moving Iron were a great cost effective cart. Perhaps I can find 1 of those :) 

found this online about the EAT C Sharp

• Speed Variance: 33 rpm: ± < 0.08%, 45 rpm: ± < 0.09%
  • Signal to noise: S/N Ratio (mechanical noise): – 40 dB,
  • Signal to noise (electrical noise): -70 dB
  • Downforce range: 0 – 30 mN
  • Supplied counterweights: without additional insert, for cartridge 5 - 9g (125g); with additional insert, for cartridge 8.5 - 13g (142g)
  • Effective tonearm mass: 0.58 oz. (16.5 g)
  • Effective tonearm length: 10"
  • Overhang: 0.63" (16 mm)
  • Power consumption: 8.5 W max / 0.5 W standby
  • Voltage: Universal switch mode power supply 15 V DC / 1.6 A, 90-264 V AC, 47 – 63Hz
  • Dimensions: 19.7" wide × 15.7" deep × 4.5" high without connectors, 19.7" wide × 17.12" deep × 4.5" high with connectors in the rear panel
  • Weight: 29.7 lbs. + 1.1 lbs. separate control panel 

Here's a great resource to help match a tonearm with cartridge

https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_resonance_evaluator.php  

HTH

Cincy

9 hours ago, joessportster said:

Yea not a match made in heaven, moreover the opposite more made in Hell the 103r appears to like very high mass arm around 24 - 30 G mine being 16....................I suppose 16G tonearm mass would be considered low mass 

Hmm, how did you arrive at that mass for the arm? Not sure I've seen anything that high.

cincy

I had not looked at the DL-103r pricing in a few years. At 450.00 it is not the bargain it was at 229.00.

But I never had issues with bright. Loading and VTA needed to be close to get full sound.  The Hanna cartridges look interesting. They use Alnico magnets like the Denon DL-103 family.