Camera Recommendations

tigerwoodKhorns

I bought my wife a Canon EOS Rebel SL2. It's a smaller version of the regular Rebel. It takes great photos and is easy to use. There are a lot of great cameras these days. A nice feature is wifi, you can instantly upload a pic to facebook, iCloud, anywhere you like. 

Plus it came in white....she loved that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I bought my wife a Canon EOS Rebel SL2. It's a smaller version of the regular Rebel. It takes great photos and is easy to use. There are a lot of great cameras these days. A nice feature is wifi, you can instantly upload a pic to facebook, iCloud, anywhere you like. 

Plus it came in white....she loved that.

I second this. The Canon Rebel series is a really good camera to get into. You can keep it in Program mode to start out and its actually a pretty advanced camera if you really want to get into all the capabilities. There are tons of different Canon and aftermarket lenses and accessories as well which makes it a very versatile option. If you get this camera, I also recommend getting the 24mm 'pancake' lens. It is about $130 and has a really good field of view and a close focus distance. I have a Canon 7D with about 6 different lenses and my 24mm always ends up being on the camera 90% of the time.

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-S-24mm-2-8-Lens/dp/B00NI3BZ5K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1541713095&sr=8-3&keywords=canon+24mm

If you like to hike with your camera, I also recommend this chest mount. It is much more convenient than having something swinging from your neck all the time. 

https://www.amazon.com/Movo-MB700-Universal-Carrying-Holster/dp/B00RF0OF2C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1541713265&sr=8-3&keywords=DSLR+chest+mount

• Like 1

I'd go body only and find a nice sweet zoom, which should cover all the bases for the most part.  24-85mm.  I shoot Nikon and don't know what everyone else here has.  Both Canon and Nikon have simple systems anymore.  I would keep my system clean though...  Nikon body w/Nikon lenses.  The resale to someone down the road is there that way IF you ever plan on selling it and upgrading.  Nice medium priced body and a GOOD chunk of glass works  :)

Just thought of this too...  Several of the SI photogs are using cells w/the plastic lens variations that just clip onto your cell phone.  I haven't tried them yet but they come in various lens sizes up to 135mm.  Clicks onto your phone body and it's over the camera lens. 3 lenses or possibly more now..  Check for ya jump...    :)  

I would think the the hiking thing indicates you don't want to get involved with multiple lenses.  The modern zooms work from mild wide angle to mild telephoto and even mild macro unless you really need pro performance.

Also, my guess is that you need something which does not rely only on the display on the back which will wash out in direct sunlight. Therefore a small DSLR might be needed.

OT: A few years ago I was taking long walks along the Lake Michigan esplinade (no shade) and had to use my cell phone. This required taking off my backpack, and the windbreaker.  Then putting the windbreaker reversed over my head to form a little tent to view the screen in shade. I must have looked ridiculous. Next time I'll find a two-foot by two-foot  piece of cloth like used in the old days to focus large cameras.

Buy your wife a nice camera and a big babushca scarf.

• Like 1