Chorus II Advice Needed

MrWongburger73

$1000 may be a little on the high side for chorus ii especially if they are missing the grilles.  but they have seemed to have gone up in price recently, so if they are in excellent condition with no damage or issues & you really want them & they are hard to find in your area then a couple hundred dollars more than average may be worth it.  i recently sold a almost mint pair of oiled oak for $900 & they sold in a couple days, sold another pair just as nice to a friend for $750.  a member here keeps track of resale prices & has recorded many chorus ii sales down around $700-$800.  anything is worth what a buyer is willing to pay.

they would be a step up from the fortes for filling a bigger room, they handle more power & will play louder than fortes, but on paper the fortes go lower for bass, but not louder.  as for upgrades, most people like the ti tweets, some say they are too bright.  the caps can easily be upgraded if needed/wanted with many other brands of caps that will fit on the stock boards better than the big sonicaps & are much better priced...  the grilles may be hard to come by, ive never really seen just the grilles for chorus for sale but i'm sure they are out there, & you could probably make the frames & buy the fabric if needed.

if you like them & they are in good shape grab them, or hold out for another pair to pop up, can't imagine there hasnt been a pair of them within 5 hours of you in 3 years, maybe your timing for looking is bad?  best of luck in your search! 

Have you checked with Klipsch to see if you can get new grilles from them?  I bought a pair of new Chorus II grilles from them several years ago for about $115 shipped.  Agree $1,000 is a bit high with no grilles, but then the supply of Klipschs in general is better in my area.  I have a Marantz 2215 (15 watts/ch) receiver on the Chorus II's in my office that I'm happy with - I'd think the 2270 by itself would work fine (I'd love to try it  :) )

1000 bucks, look for a pair of lascalas. There is a guy on Atlanta CLs with a pair of chorus II speakers for sale 1200, bet he could be talked down. Good luck!

Just looked on Atlanta  CLs pair of ind. lascalas for 1400 with crites upgrades. Again bet he could be talked down.

I believe the guy with the chorus II trades, buys and sells equipment.

Hi Mr. Wongburger --- A few months ago, I got a pair of Chorus II's for $600. I'm in the midwest. They are black, but in good shape with only minimal light marks that are not noticeable at all after I used rejuvenating oil on them. I sent the crossovers to Bob Crites for recap, and replaced the tweeter diaphragms (so with the mods, I have a bit over $800 in). At first, I wasn't a fan of the black grills and intended to either replace of make my own replacement grills. I think it'd be real easy to do on your own, with a sheet of 1/4" plywood or something else the same thickness, to make the frame, then it's basically just re-upholstering the front. I got some fabric from JoAnn's fabric that I was intending to experiment with, but just haven't had the time yet. You might need someone to provide the grill dimensions off the chorus II's, and pictures of the general layout and location of the magnets. PM me if you want me to measure mine. The new grills wouldn't have badges so if that's an issue, you'd have to look into also. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes the grills can absolutely be done.  I have a set of Forte II with all stock components, and I did all new veneer and constructed new grills just as Sam described in a lambswool linen fabric that I sourced locally.  I even found a guy to make a "Forte" script badge, milled from aluminum on a CNC.  So my Forte II...now look like Forte III...and I love them!