No Whining Wine

jimjimbo

20 minutes ago, baron167 said:

Looks like we have traveled similar paths. I have Brenner and lots of Ridge in my EuroCave, including a case of Monte Bello.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some very small production Washington State wines that you may or may not have heard of, including Leonetti Vineyards and Figgins.  Would be very willing to trade either of those for some of the Ridge Lytton Springs Zin, probably one of my all time favorites....

• Like 1

I have some very small production Washington State wines that you may or may not have heard of, including Leonetti Vineyards and Figgins.  Would be very willing to trade either of those for some of the Ridge Lytton Springs Zin, probably one of my all time favorites....

I shall check my stock.

23 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

It's not enough to say you've tried it.....let's have a modest review, good, bad, tastes like ***, or tastes great with fresh caught shrimp.....

Oh, got it.

It wasn't our favorite. It was a bit grassy and I think it could have stood a bit more time, like maybe about the time my daughter graduates college (she's a HS Senior). Disappointed at this price point. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wstrickland1 said:

Oh, got it.

It wasn't our favorite. It was a bit grassy and I think it could have stood a bit more time, like maybe about the time my daughter graduates college (she's a HS Senior). Disappointed at this price point. 

I don't drink a lot of Pinot Noir and I think mainly because there is such a wide delta between producers and styles.  It 's not an easy grape to grow, and it takes the right soil, temps, exposures and techniques to make a good one.  There are quite a few good ones from Oregon and from the California coastal region, but I've mostly been sticking with French Burgundy.  However, If you can find it, I would recommend this one from Oregon, and a favorite producer.  You may have to get on their mailing list to get it.

http://www.toiloregon.com/

I am in agreement with you Jim regarding Pinot Noir, such an incredibly wide variety of styles within one particular grape. Some I would describe as feminine, soft and delicate, that I associate with Oregon Pinot and producers such as Adelsheim & Shea Vinyards. Then there are the bigger Central California styles, much fruitier and higher alcohol content. A lot of plonk is produced in the name of Pinot, but there are a few gems on occasion. One year a while back McManus, a Cali value producer, was rumored ot have bought the entire production of a high end Pinot Noir producer who deemed the end result not worthy of the winery name and declined to release. it. A great buy for QPR seekers like me as A usual $40-$50 bottle, even if it was not up to snuff, was being sold for $8.99, needless to say when the word got out it was snapped up by the vino geeks. I was able to snag some before it was wiped off the shelf.

French Burgundy is WAY out of my price point, and one could devote the rest of their life to studying the production out of that vaunted region.

1 minute ago, wstrickland1 said:

I was definitely disappointed in that Shea. Our favorites are from Sta Rita Hills (Sanford) and Russian River Valley (Merry Edwards). Definitely don't know how to describe in detail but it's what we like. 

Have been a Sanford fan for many years.  Spent a long weekend in that area in the early 80's, and they were selling out of a one room shack about the size of my kitchen....

17 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Have been a Sanford fan for many years.  Spent a long weekend in that area in the early 80's, and they were selling out of a one room shack about the size of my kitchen....

That's very cool. My wife and I are really just getting in to it (last year or so) and really want to take a trip out there and see what it's all about. We have to get our daughter out on her own first....but we are going. We have a lot to learn but have figured out for the most part that you get what you pay for, which is unfortunate.

A Pinot Noir favourite vineyard is Gary's Vineyard.  Their grapes are only in a very few wine makers' Pinots, AP Vin and Miner Family are a couple.  The flavour is very distinctive.  Definitely one of my favs from Napa.

Interesting specialization of grape growers vs wine makers in California.  That would never happen in France.  But in some ways makes a lot of sense and gives the wine maker both advantage and disadvantage in selecting grapes from multiple growers.  Then, some of the growers turn into wine makers too and the whole situation goes upside down.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

A Pinot Noir favourite vineyard is Gary's Vineyard.  Their grapes are only in a very few wine makers' Pinots, AP Vin and Miner Family are a couple.  The flavour is very distinctive.  Definitely one of my favs from Napa.

Interesting specialization of grape growers vs wine makers in California.  That would never happen in France.  But in some ways makes a lot of sense and gives the wine maker both advantage and disadvantage in selecting grapes from multiple growers.  Then, some of the growers turn into wine makers too and the whole situation goes upside down.

AP Vin makes some fine vino, I have been on his mailing list since he started a few years back. Another guy who dropped his day job and took the plunge. His wines have garnered some good scores over the years.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 11:31 AM, wstrickland1 said:

That's very cool. My wife and I are really just getting in to it (last year or so) and really want to take a trip out there and see what it's all about. We have to get our daughter out on her own first....but we are going. We have a lot to learn but have figured out for the most part that you get what you pay for, which is unfortunate.

From audio to pinot 😜

I was definitely disappointed in that Shea. Our favorites are from Sta Rita Hills (Sanford) and Russian River Valley (Merry Edwards). Definitely don't know how to describe in detail but it's what we like. 

You just mentioned the most important thing: knowing what you like. Just wait until you're deep enough in to start pairing with the foods you like! Have fun on your wine journey!