Wanting to leave Goldenear for Forte III

Don McPhee

I have a 2 channel vinyl playback system powered by a Primaluna Integrated Premium HP amp and currently sound is being delivered by Goldenear Triton 1's. I have a dealer that is giving me a great trade in price and I'm chomping at the bit to do the deal.....BUT I have not heard the Forte's  and several dealers that care both brands say the Forte's can rock, bring LIVE concert feeling to your room and peel the paint off the walls etc AND they also say the Fortes are not nearly detailed as the Goldenears. I love to hear the details, fingers sliding up and down the fret board etc. Am I going to loose this midrange detail with the Forte III's ?

Cheers

Don                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Edited by Don McPhee

@Don McPhee,

Welcome to the forum.

6 hours ago, Don McPhee said:

I love to hear the details, fingers sliding up and down the fret board etc. Am I going to loose this midrange detail with the Forte III's ?

I am not here to tell you that you will lose the midrange detail with the Forte IIIs but will tell you that those great qualities are abundant with the Forte 1s and 2s and from all I have heard and read, are even more with the Forte 3s.

Bill

• Like 1

Recommend you play a female voice with a piano through both,

several tracks, perhaps several different females with zero processing on the voice

reverb is hard to get away from.

Freebird Capella on the Duets soundtrack for male vocal good test track

If you can hear this, you have a great stereo

Ann_Danielewski.jpg

If voice sounds natural the amp and speakers are spot on, especially female

Piano goes from zero to wide open on the amp and the speakers

pretty much every frequency you are likely to hear.

Test Tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEv6NotxuC4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzNmG_lpNw8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVGCzTlT2hI

Too bad they didn't put this out on CD or DTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRgHgftQY84

• Like 1

+1 to what YK says.....They are totally different.

My best friend runs a PrimaLuna .....we went and auditioned the Triton 1's....they sounded great....just they had a very narrow sweet spot because they are so tall they sounded better if you were standing.....Just want to end saying......move what you got around a bit .

George

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

I would wait until you have a chance to audition a pair. Fortes and Triton 1s are very different animals. You would notice the reduced bass in the Forte right off the bat and will not be happy without a subwoofer to accompany them.

Just took at look at the Triton 1 web page

Drivers

GE 6 drivers inc powered subs & 4 side radiators vs.  3 driver Forte with passive 15in rear radiator

Spec out

Triton Frequency Response:.....................,,.. 14 Hz – 35 kHz. Efficiency:... 92 dB.

Forte 3 FREQUENCY RESPONSE (+/- 3 dB) 38 Hz – 20kHz, SENSITIVITY 99dB @ 2.83V / 1m

Not totally different design philosophy, but different:

F3= Simpler crossover, passive (not powered) speaker, horn loaded mid-range & tweeter, much better efficiency

F2 is the best sleeper I have heard so far, F3 is an updated version of a proven design.

Don't recall GE other than at a show...but too many speakers to remember.

Hearing all the details is great but it’s not something that’s needed to enjoy good sound. I’ve always been a detail oriented guy with speakers but after hearing a set of H3’s I realized there’s so much more to be had than just detail. My speakers use a RAAL ribbon tweeter and Audio Tech mid driver and they do allow more detail to be brought through but the liveliness and incredible tone the H3’s displayed made me not care about the details. The Klipsch had more soul and spoke to me in a way that other speakers haven’t and yes they have have detail but it’s all the other attributes that make them special. 

"I’ve always been a detail oriented guy with speakers but after hearing a set of H3’s I realized there’s so much more to be had than just detail. 

Well said.  Magnepan systems I have heard are relentless, infinite detail extractors with minimal dynamics, several anemic in the bass and overall would make me hate more than I love about music. Certainly not for me.  No offense to anyone who owns a pair.  They do sound amazing, just not in the kind of light I want.   

A listen with a favourite album will tell the tale. Two very different tweeters - horn vs folded ribbon, two midrange drivers vs a midhorn and a built in tuned subwoofer system vs a regular bass driver. They will both sound good (good reviews for both), but the overall presentation will be quite different. It will come down to personal preference in the end.