KP-301 II UPGRADES

Jvitti1970

Hey guys i am getting a pair of 301 ll's and have been reading a bit about supposed upgrades : switching out drivers for the DE 120'S AND APT-50'S  

also i see there is a guy who makes upgraded horn lenses Machined Aluminum Horn Lenses.  is anybody familiar with these after market so called upgrades?

are they worth it ?

I am sort of simple-headed on this stuff, so my suggestion is simple. 

1. Look at the capacitors on the crossover. Go to Parts Express and order the same caps (Solen polyprops) and replace them. If you want to get fancy you can bypass them (wire in parallel) with some metal film caps (about 1 - 5% of the main caps's value). The Dayton's are a decent brand and will cost less than a couple of dollars. That will refresh the crossover (clean off any oxidized connections also. 

2. Spend several long listening sessions and systematically adjust the position of the speakers and the listening chair. (overall angle, distance form the back and side walls, degree of toe-in). Be systematic about this and use the same snippets of music (over and over again). Warning it is a tedious process, but it will give real results. 

Personally, I would not bother with re-designing the crossover or spending big money on "fancy parts". Unless something is broken I would not replace driver, woofers, or horns. 

Item # 2 can give surprisingly good results if you take your time. 

Good luck, 

-Tom

• Like 2

On 11/11/2018 at 2:52 PM, Jvitti1970 said:

thank you Tom.

i have even older 1976 Lascalas and they are all original caps and all and after lots of listening ive decided not to change a thing

I have yet to measure a crossover that old that does not have capacitors with either high ESR or out of spec capacitance AND high ESR. I recap every one I get and it is the cheapest thing you can do to your speakers that will make a difference besides Tom's good suggestion on room tinkering.

PE has also started carrying a good variety of Audyn caps at good prices often right in there with Dayton and Solen and so far the ones I have bought have measured well.