Subwoofer and Forte III?

scabbers

Hello all,

Setting up my new HT,  and next week I have two Forte IIIs and one Heresy III coming for my front stage (Heresy as the center). I’ll be running Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 with Klipsch speakers for the height and rear surround (CDT 5800 II and Pro 180 RPW respectively). Have not selected receiver yet but will likely go with a Marantz SR 7012. Room is roughly 12.5 feet wide and 20 feet long. Left and right speakers will be about nine feet apart. 

The last remaining component is a subwoofer. Wondering what you all would recommend? With the powerful front stage, is a sub woofer even necessary? I know that it’s probably not for music, but I hear that it probably is for home theater. If so, i certainly want something that can stand up to the Fortes, and at the same time I don’t want to not take advantage of the sound quality the Fortes can deliver.  

A sub which is less expensive, so I can rely more on the Fortes, but is still confident enough to handle the very low end for home theater is probably what I’d be looking for? 

So, advice around a sub woofer, if needed, and given the likely Marantz receiver any recommended settings that would play well with these speakers as above?

Thanks! 

• Like 1

Yes a subwoofer is necessary in HT for high impact action movie scenes, IMO.  For music you can get away without a subwoofer with most tracks.

3 hours ago, scabbers said:

If so, i certainly want something that can stand up to the Fortes, and at the same time I don’t want to not take advantage of the sound quality the Fortes can deliver.  

Whether you get a pair of 15" subwoofers or a single 12" for example,  your placement and settings(low pass filter, phase, volume) and room acoustics play a big role in how well your mains and subwoofer/s blend.

What is your budget for a subwoofer/s?

Bill

5 hours ago, willland said:

Yes a subwoofer is necessary in HT for high impact action movie scenes, IMO.  For music you can get away without a subwoofer with most tracks.

Whether you get a pair of 15" subwoofers or a single 12" for example,  your placement and settings(low pass filter, phase, volume) and room acoustics play a big role in how well your mains and subwoofer/s blend.

What is your budget for a subwoofer/s?

Bill

Thanks. Budget has already been sort of blown by the Fortes, so looking to keep it in the $500 range I suppose? 

31 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

I have dual SVS SB-2000 subwoofers with my Heresy II fronts.  They have a low end of 19Hz and are awesome for hone theater and music.

Thanks. Those are a stich higher $ than I was thinking, but look like great reviews. Can you share your full settings in case I splurge (again)?  

49 minutes ago, Kalifornian said:

Dayton audio hf15 flat pack sub. Best bang for the buck hands down

Agree ... have this sub with a Dayton Audio SA1000 amp. Coupled with 3 Heresy's and KPT-904's up front it sounds awesome :D  Yes; I don't bother to turn it on with music "only." Think the kit was about $300 and picked up the amp of CraigsList for $200 ... $500 just as in your budget :) 

Walnut veneered mine ... looks very good and passes "WAF."

Cheers, Emile

47 minutes ago, scabbers said:

Going with your recommendation, thanks! Would you mind sharing the settings that you have found works best for this sub? Any info appreciated, thanks again. 

Every room and setup will be different.  Personally I have phase at 0, gain at about 11 o'clock, crossover as high as it can go since I let the AVR handle that.

You'll have to do some experimenting to see what sounds best to you.

4 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Every room and setup will be different.  Personally I have phase at 0, gain at about 11 o'clock, crossover as high as it can go since I let the AVR handle that.

You'll have to do some experimenting to see what sounds best to you.

Thanks. Does that mean you are using the LFE input on the sub?

Edited by scabbers
Typo