Designing a room for Klipschorns

fini

Happy Veterans Day to all!

I have a very good friend whom I turned on to a used pair of Heresys, about 6-8 years ago.  He fell in love!  He had made it through last year's Tubbs fire (Sonoma, Napa and Solano Counties, CA), with no damage to his place.  Since then, he sold that property, and moved to a gorgeous piece of property, just outside Chico, CA.  Well, as you may know, this week's horrible Camp Fire blew through and took out EVERYTHING of his.  He seems to be taking things in stride (what can one do??).  I told him I'd help him get his music back up and running, then I started thinking about this spare pair of Khorns I have in the garage.  They need a little work (new speaker cloth, recapped crossover, refinish the lacquered oak).  And, of course, a new perfectly-designed (for Klipschorns) room!

Which brings me to my question.  Given his ability to design this room from scratch, what should he be doing?  He's an excellent general contractor, and we've done many fun projects together.  I haven't searched here yet, so perhaps someone can direct me to a thread or a link to an article (Dope From Hope?).

Thank you!!

• Like 3

There's an article attached here that will help you with relative dimensions of whatever room size that you pick. See figures 12-15 (depending on the room size) and aim for one of those darker areas.  This is the best article on room dimensions that I've seen, and far surpasses anything that PWK had access to: https://community.klipsch.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=79899

• Like 3

Might I suggest that he build a house with a fully concrete exterior about a foot thick, with a moat around it, and no trees within a mile?  The Fire Dept. will be happy to consult.😀

Both Heyser (Audio magazine review, c. 1986) and the Klipsch company pointed out that Klipschorns do best in a room with a high ceiling (but with "good" proportions).  Klipsch recommended at least 8.5 feet, but I'd go higher while maintaining good proportions.  See also Chris A's "Corner Horn Imaging." on this forum.

Khorns on the long wall are great, but may need something fully horn loaded as a center speaker, like a La Scala II.  Don't have anything on the wall between Khorns, inc equipment racks and TVs, except for the center speaker, if any.  Or, be like us, and bury the center speaker in the wall, sticking out the other side.  Ours is enclosed in a bump-out on the other side, but it could be a garage, or utility room, or whatever, as long as it is insulated to the max against moisture, cold, and sound transmission -- and, of course, fire, if it extends into a garage.   If it is going to double as a home theater and he has $$$, he could have a drop down acoustically transparent projection screen (with a projector).

I realize you already have the Klipschorns available in your garage, and they would be fine, but he should at least consider Klipsch Jubilees with bi-amping sometime in the future, or now😀.  I would think that the same room, with Khorn corners, proportioned as discussed in the article Chris A linked, would be fine.   

I hope the fire didn't get that wooded area in Chico that passed for Sherwood Forest in the Errol Flynn version of Robin Hood (1938).

And I hope the other fire didn't get to you in Rohnert Park!   I knew a very old couple there, with their 2 story house just below the raised highway -- Joe and Bobbie Yoakley (sp).  

Thanks for the info, guys!  Tim (my friend) plans to rebuild expecting fires!  And no, Rohnert Park was spared the flames last October.  Fire started the night of my 62nd bday, and NO, it wasn't sparked by the candles on my cake!