Super Heresy tweeter update

mopardave

I currently have the Super Heresy using The pro12 driver with K55m mids and K77 tweets.   Looking to update the tweets and am curious to what sounds best in them. Looking at the CT125 and the B&C DE10.   What are the pro's and con's with these tweeters in the Super's?     Thanks

5 hours ago, mopardave said:

I currently have the Super Heresy using The pro12 driver with K55m mids and K77 tweets.   Looking to update the tweets and am curious to what sounds best in them. Looking at the CT125 and the B&C DE10.   What are the pro's and con's with these tweeters in the Super's?     Thanks

The DE-10 won't fit. Try going to my Super Heresy 2.0 tread and look for the smal MAHL with the B&C de110 or 120. I used the 125 from Bob Crites in two of my Heresies, but it's not as efficient and requires a different Xover tap and cap.

7 hours ago, mopardave said:

I had Dave A's mahl with de120 in my chorus I and they sounded fantastic. Also had de10 on my chorus on k79 horn lens. ( pain to get de10 in , had to make special  clamps to attach to horn and install from inside thur mid range opening. Both sounded good, de 120 more klipsch like, had a slightly more metal sound, very detailed and more extended highs.  The de 120 liked power and sound better the more you give it. 

De10 a little more laid back, more like a soft dome but still detailed and a little less klipsch like. I did notice a little harshness with de10  on some material but could be because of the k 79 horn. Been playing  with zxpc 17 by 11 and for grins I cut a 1 inch hole and attached the de10 to outside of horn ( danley kind of). Work great, slight harshness I heard was gone. ( think point source)[ 

Never owned ct 125 but reviews I read make it sound a little less klipsch like and more laid back. 

Which one to go with? I think that would depend if you like the upfront more klipsch sound or a more laid back sound. The de10 can be used but a pain to work with. Hope this helps!

27 minutes ago, Ljk said:

I had Dave A's mahl with de120 in my chorus I and they sounded fantastic. Also had de10 on my chorus on k79 horn lens. ( pain to get de10 in , had to make special  clamps to attach to horn and install from inside thur mid range opening. Both sounded good, de 120 more klipsch like, had a slightly more metal sound, very detailed and more extended highs.  The de 120 liked power and sound better the more you give it. 

De10 a little more laid back, more like a soft dome but still detailed and a little less klipsch like. I did notice a little harshness with de10  on some material but could be because of the k 79 horn. Been playing  with zxpc 17 by 11 and for grins I cut a 1 inch hole and attached the de10 to outside of horn ( danley kind of). Work great, slight harshness I heard was gone. ( think point source)[ 

Never owned ct 125 but reviews I read make it sound a little less klipsch like and more laid back. 

Which one to go with? I think that would depend if you like the upfront more klipsch sound or a more laid back sound. The de10 can be used but a pain to work with. Hope this helps!

I prefer the klipsch dynamic sound so looks like the CT125 is out and Claude says the BC DE10 will not fit Heresy. So looks like DE 110 or 120 and the DE 120 seems to be easier to find.   Whats the big deal about the MAHL lens?

25 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I absolutely love the Crites CT-120's excellent upgrade over stock I still say probably hands down the single best improvement I've ever made to a speaker. 

What lens did you use?   Is it absolutely mandatory to use the MAHL lens with it? Whats the difference?

1 minute ago, mopardave said:

What lens did you use?   Is it absolutely mandatory to use the MAHL lens with it? Whats the difference?

Do a search for road show, should be able to find thread on mahl ( machine alu. horn lens) I believe  claude uses this combo on new super heresy. Bob crites sites will explain the ct 120 and ct125 to you better than I can.  In each case the horn lens is matched to get the most out of tweeter according to speaker - crossover etc used. De10 could be used but may be more trouble than its worth given other choice's.

10 hours ago, mopardave said:

The lens it comes with from Bob Crites meant to be a drop in replacement for the k-77, I haven't tried the MAHL but it looks nice. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Tweeter-for-Klipsch-K-77-EV-T35-PAIR-With-B-C-DE120-Drivers-NEW/382259433730?hash=item5900701102:g:IyAAAOSwv-NWYe7K:rk:1:pf:0

10 hours ago, Ljk said:

De10 could be used but may be more trouble than its worth given other choice's.

The DE10 can't be used where the smaller MAHL K-77 drop ins go. It is to big in diameter to work. At this time there are three drivers that fit the small MAHL lens clamp plates and they are the Faital HF100, DE120 and 110. There are others made that will fit diameter wise but they don't sound good enough to consider.

The bigger MAHL lens is another story and the DE10 and a TON of other drivers will physically fit although that does not mean they will be right for your speaker of choice. The Eminence N151M-8 for example fits a Chorus or Forte but sounds terrible in both. 

16 minutes ago, Ljk said:

No.4 is selling a pair of ct 125's and an a/4500 crossovers in for sale sec. Not sure if crossovers would work but you could buy the ct 125's and easily sell them if you don't like them.

After reading some reviews on the CT125 being too laid back not interested in them.   Currently thinking the DE110 or the DE120 would be best for the Super Heresy's, But i'm not sure i would need the aluminum lens thou.(MAHL)

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

The lens it comes with from Bob Crites meant to be a drop in replacement for the k-77, I haven't tried the MAHL but it looks nice. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Tweeter-for-Klipsch-K-77-EV-T35-PAIR-With-B-C-DE120-Drivers-NEW/382259433730?hash=item5900701102:g:IyAAAOSwv-NWYe7K:rk:1:pf:0

Yes i seen this ad previously and wondered whats the difference between the plastic horn and the aluminum?

1 hour ago, mopardave said:

Yes i seen this ad previously and wondered whats the difference between the plastic horn and the aluminum?

Dave's lens are heavy will not need damping like plastic might. Don't think there is an elliptical horn made in plastic that will fit in your speakers. Claude did some testing on Dave's mahn with some very good results.

20 minutes ago, Ljk said:

Dave's lens are heavy will not need damping like plastic might. Don't think there is an elliptical horn made in plastic that will fit in your speakers. Claude did some testing on Dave's mahn with some very good results.

I think the plastic horn screws to the back of the motor board like the original k77.   I could be wrong.

6 hours ago, mopardave said:

After reading some reviews on the CT125 being too laid back not interested in them. 

The APT-50 driver is a little less sensitive, but much smoother and can handle more power. They seem laid back for a couple of reasons... one being the lower seinsitivity and the other is that the K77  has a bit of raspy/edgy sound quality which makes you notice it in the high end. ANY of these replacement drivers mentioned will best the original as far as quality.

I put the CT125s in my LS, but also cut the mids back about 3db. This made the balance much better across the board. i.e., the bass even sounded better, since bringing the volume back up where many would listen, the mids were back and the treble was back. Having the bass seem louder was an added plus.  Simply smoother than previously.

Bruce