the Great Stan Lee RIP

JohnJ

Excelsior!  That's how Stan used to sign off on all his editorials from each comic's fan page. 

I was certainly a FOOM, Friend Of Old Marvel.  If you got a letter printed, Stan would award you a No-prize which is exactly what it sounded like, you got no prize.  As a kid it took me years to figure out what a no-prize was.

Stan had a cameo characterized as the mailman in the Fantastic Four comics as he faithfully delivered the mail to the Baxter Building every day to the robot front desk receptionist whose name I think was Roberta.  The FF would always greet him by name and talk with him kindly.  Imagine the World's Greatest superheros taking the time out of their lives from defeating super villains and saving the world to talk with an ordinary guy.  There was some brilliant writing stated so subtly you never even knew it was a lesson in life.  That was Stan Lee.

I can't remember the mailman's name but I think it was Willie, we're going back 50 years here in my memory.  Edit:  His name was Willie Lumpkin.  Google is your friend.  :)

I'm going back here to when comics were 12 cents but as he delivered the FF's fan mail to the front desk Willie used to ask Mr. Fantastic and the Invisible Girl if he could join the FF because of the super power he would demonstrate to them.  In his honor I will award you a No-prize if you can name his super power. 

Hint:  Some of us can do this and some can't but it was a silly super power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Lumpkin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1