KD-17 passive woofer in Chorus II’s?

hlcass

the new passives will work but wont look right. 

you can have your original passives reconed by simply speakers with the correct accordian surrounds for less than buying new ones or buy the kit & do it yourself.  used ones pop up on ebay from time to time too.

I have a brand new pair of KD-15s for sale:

I bought them from Klipsch recently to fix a pair of Chorus II, but ended up finding another mint pair of Oiled Oaks, so I still have the extra passives.

Let me know via PM if your interested.

IMG_4466.thumb.JPG.33fadd3ff42fd81fcb3d1aec836231b0.JPGIMG_4465.thumb.JPG.e23d9d476b8bdf98bb4e5a1fcf19af86.JPG

6 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

you can have your original passives reconed by simply speakers with the correct accordian surrounds for less than buying new ones or buy the kit & do it yourself.  used ones pop up on ebay from time to time too.

Do not have them reconed, its best to repair or buy the passives from the new Forte III if you can't find exact replacements.

7 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

I have used this kit and it works fine. Remember to take the weight off the old one to put on the new kit as it won't be right without it. If I remember right it is 3.5oz. This is MUCH easier to install than a regular recone kit for speakers.

I used a new style one from Klipsch one time and did not like the rubber surround at all since it is such a glaring visual difference. But at least Klipsch did make a new passive that will work which can get you out of a bind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jason str said:

Do not have them reconed, its best to repair or buy the passives from the new Forte III if you can't find exact replacements.

curious, can you elaborate on that?  is there a reason reconing is bad?

16 hours ago, jason str said:

Factory recone kits are long gone unless somebody has some new old stock. You cannot just throw any old recone kit and expect it to work properly.

these aren't just any old recone kit... have you seen the recone kits for klipsch speakers from simply speakers?  they look identical to the accordian surround cones used in these models of speakers.  i spoke to a guy at SS a couple years ago about them & was told they are identical to the originals & wont have any working or cosmetic issues.   just mentioning it as an option. 

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/klipsch-speaker-passive-radiator-recone-kit-rk-klpkd15.html

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

these aren't just any old recone kit... have you seen the recone kits for klipsch speakers from simply speakers?  they look identical to the accordian surround cones used in these models of speakers.  i spoke to a guy at SS a couple years ago about them & was told they are identical to the originals & wont have any working or cosmetic issues.   just mentioning it as an option. 

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/klipsch-speaker-passive-radiator-recone-kit-rk-klpkd15.html

Identical my ***, the Chorus II passive is the weak spot in the design.

I would not have them in my set as many others here who know the difference would not as well.

Buyer beware.

3 hours ago, jason str said:

I would not have them in my set as many others here who know the difference would not as well.

Buyer beware.

again, can you elaborate on that?  not trying to argue, just saying what i was told & what the description states... "All recone kits are designed to meet or exceed the original specifications."  are they lying?

& why is the chorus2 passive a weak spot?  it's a passive woofer designed & tuned to the specs of the speaker by klipsch engineers & im sure function perfectly fine for the intended purpose.  

so what is the "difference" in the recone kits you speak of?  im sure many others here would like to know that...  ive read quite a few members here & on other forums used SS recone kits & were happy with them, never heard a complaint or mention of a problem.  if they are the same thickness & material as originals, which SS says they are & are tuned with the correct amount of weight, (or more according to morey james) they should work perfectly fine & are a cheaper correct looking alternative to the new rubber surround style sold by klipsch.     

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

again, can you elaborate on that?  not trying to argue, just saying what i was told & what the description states... "All recone kits are designed to meet or exceed the original specifications."  are they lying?

& why is the chorus2 passive a weak spot?  it's a passive woofer designed & tuned to the specs of the speaker by klipsch engineers & im sure function perfectly fine for the intended purpose.  

so what is the "difference" in the recone kits you speak of?  im sure many others here would like to know that...  ive read quite a few members here & on other forums used SS recone kits & were happy with them, never heard a complaint or mention of a problem.  if they are the same thickness & material as originals, which SS says they are & are tuned with the correct amount of weight, (or more according to morey james) they should work perfectly fine & are a cheaper correct looking alternative to the new rubber surround style sold by klipsch.     

The passive is a critical tuning device. Suspension & mass play a part in proper tuning. Having enough cone travel is just as important. If they are not using an O.E. recone kit they are lying.

The passive is the weak spot because there is not enough passive to driver ratio causing the passive to overextend and fail, probably why Klipsch ran out of stock long ago.

Adding more weight to the passive will tune the design lower but also leaves the passive even more susceptible to overextension.

Will recone kits work ? Yes.

Will they work as well as the factory intended them to ? No.

On 11/13/2018 at 5:41 PM, jason str said:

Factory recone kits are long gone unless somebody has some new old stock. You cannot just throw any old recone kit and expect it to work properly.

OK I can believe that is possible but what is your experience that says these particular ones are bad? The only time I used an SS kit it sounded the same side by side with the good OEM passive Forte. I did not have a way to measure the output so my opinion is subjective.

8 hours ago, jason str said:

To me passives in anything are a bad design. It means you have to meet specific wall conditions for them to work, front ported does not have this problem. The passives I have seen damaged happened because cats, sun shined on them to long when in front of a window, wives with vacuums poke a hole in it, lamp falls over on it, kid plays with it, moving helper puts thumb through it and these are all things I have been told in person. Grilles stop the front side damage.

I certainly prefer the Chorus and Forte I's and the minor bass extension in the II's is not worth it to me.

I can make an exception for things like KP-480's with their passives because it is protected so well and does not rely on corner or wall placement to sound good.

53 minutes ago, Dave A said:

OK I can believe that is possible but what is your experience that says these particular ones are bad? The only time I used an SS kit it sounded the same side by side with the good OEM passive Forte. I did not have a way to measure the output so my opinion is subjective.

Never seen a good replacement i would use that is not OEM personally.

Have i tried these ?

Not a chance.

40 minutes ago, Dave A said:

To me passives in anything are a bad design. It means you have to meet specific wall conditions for them to work, front ported does not have this problem. The passives I have seen damaged happened because cats, sun shined on them to long when in front of a window, wives with vacuums poke a hole in it, lamp falls over on it, kid plays with it, moving helper puts thumb through it and these are all things I have been told in person. Grilles stop the front side damage.

I certainly prefer the Chorus and Forte I's and the minor bass extension in the II's is not worth it to me.

I can make an exception for things like KP-480's with their passives because it is protected so well and does not rely on corner or wall placement to sound good.

Both have pro's and cons.

Passives eliminate unwanted port noise but need to be positioned properly.

Grille of any type would eliminate damage and if not the DIY type round perforated steel grille is a simple task.

Rear ports can be just as much work as passives, front porting is a great idea but port noise is easier detect.

I have had a few sets of Chorus II, two new and one secondhand, i have never had an issue with placement though corners are best, down to one last pair and have no intention of getting rid of them. My systems all run horn loaded subs so extension is not a concern.

it matters not if the speaker has a passive radiator or a reflex vent(s) both are variants of the exact same method of damping the loudspeakers fundamental system resonance and both can be re tuned to a slightly lower frequency if desired. With a passive you simply add weight no measurement equipment is required all you need is a CD with tones or you can find test tones on line to use. To lower the tuning of a reflex vent you only need to lengthen it. Lowering the tuning frequency 3 - 4 Hz will have a dramatic effect.