WTB Academy in Walnut

Mateo6477

I have loved my Forte I’s forever. Used to sell Klipsch end of 80’s / beginning of 90’s at Good Vibes Sound in Champaign, IL. I keep jonesing for a center to match their finish. I would love to find the Klipsch Academy in Walnut Oil in good condition.  Anyone have one?  Somewhat limited budget, but hopeful.....

One post limit per day for this newbie, so I guess I’ll respond to any postings once a day!

Edited by Mateo6477
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hey Klipschophiles!  I’m still holding out hope for a nice Academy in Walnut Oil to match my beautiful Walnut Fortes.  Anyone out there?  I love my RP-250C, but I’m jonesing for a matched finish surround setup.  My rears are Walnut Oil KG 1.2’s that are perfect and just the right size for my situation. Every time I sit down they whine at me sadly, though, looking for their long lost matching center. Please help put the family together  😢

If you are going to consider the Academy for a center, if possible audition it first. I owned one and had it as a center with original Fortes. I did not find it to be a sonic match at all (despite Klipsch marketing it as such). From the moment I started using it, I was aware of the sound character change in the center as sounds panned across the front. It was very disconcerting and was a constant distraction. Soon after I got it I went back to the dealer and made a deal to trade it in for a single Heresy II. I have been happy with that decision ever since.  I now have KLF-30s where those Forte used to be and the Heresy works well as a center with those too.

The Academy is not a bad speaker but in my opinion it's no match for the 3-way Heritage/Forte family/Legend series speakers.  It sounds much more like a kg series speaker.  If you have to have a horizontal center I would think the KLF-C7 might be a closer match due to the larger horn and higher sensitivity for a 2-way speaker. But I haven't had a chance to hear it.

Mine are all black lacquer. You could buy now, sell later whenever your walnut version appears later. Check my ad.
Or you could buy a black lacquer and veneer it. I did that and it wasn't difficult, and it's far easier to find anything in black than walnut.

I can't speak for the Academy sound, but I use the KLF-C7 as my rear channel, and when I plugged it up to hear the sound as a single channel (front), I was thoroughly impressed.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Finally!  One listed on ebay. I snatched it up in minutes. The seller messaged me that he had a second Academy in walnut if I needed it. I didn’t. He listed it, and it sold in less than ten minutes. Apparently walnut Academy speakers go fast!!!!!  Can’t wait for it to show up on Wednesday so I can fire her up and see what needs to be done (crossover, driver upgrades). My Klipsch happiness is all Walnut Oil 5 channel speakers. Now, perhaps Klipsch made Walnut Oil subwoofers..........

It’s too late for me.

7C0F8C94-20C1-4E59-840E-F6C1AB572C79.jpeg

• Like 1