Reel to Reel Question

Tarheel TJ

Anyone out there experienced with Reel to Reel machines?  I am new to the format and I have a question.

A few months ago, my father-in-law gave me his basically brand-new Teac A-2300.  He bought it decades ago, used it very little, and then stored it for a long time.  When I got it, it was still in the original box, without a scratch on it!  Like I said, basically brand new.

I bought a take-up reel for it and a few pre-recorded tapes.  I have been using it without any problems for a few months.  Now, however, the machine does not seem to create enough tension in the tape to keep playing.  I can start a tape, it will play for a few minutes, and then the tension arm on the right-hand side of the machine will drop down due to lack of tension.  The machine will shut off as if the tape had run out.

Any insight into what might be causing this?  Is there a worn or aged component that needs to be replaced?  Perhaps an adjustment somewhere?  The machine has seen very little use, but it is almost 50 years old.  I am totally new to these machines, so I really don't know what I am doing yet.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_2829(1).JPG

• Like 1

I have an old  Teac Tascam A2340 with the same tape handling mechanism and I took mine into a local expert audio equipment repair shop and had them basically "make it work as good as it ever did", and that was one of the problems mine was demonstrating. And they fixed it! It's an internal part, common problem they said.

John Kuthe...

Have an old Teac X-1000R ... works like a charm :D  Pretty sure the tape handling mechanism is driven by belts ... old age stretches those resulting in problems like yours.  Find a good vintage technician and the fix should be fairly cheap :) 

• Like 1

I don't think those use belts at all. My 3340, circa 1972 is all direct drive/logic controlled. It is likely the grease in one of the solenoids has dried out, causing it to stick or not fully actuate. The one for my pinch roller stuck... I flushed it with solvent and relubed it about 20 years ago.

Bruce

EDIT: Being the dummy I am, my 3340S does have belts...

I have 5 RTR machines, so I have a little experience with them. Usually the original grease used on the linkage and rollers, etc, will need to be removed and replaced. Belts are also on the list of items to replace. Make sure to clean the tape path with alcohol to remove any tape residue. Make sure to lube the shafts on the motors as well, as they tend to dry out.

Buying a good repair manual is the best source of where and what to lubricate and adjust.

2 hours ago, Tarheel TJ said:

Thanks for the advice everyone.  Sounds like this is potentially a DIY fix?  I'll order a belt kit and download a service manual and go from there.  Any advice on the type of grease to use?

I use automotive grease like wheel bearing grease, or general grease. I'd stay away from white lithium grease because it tends to harden up after a while.

• 2 weeks later...