Carpet

Rivernuggets

We removed our back family room carpet and are now browsing for new. We'd like our family room to remain 'cozy'. All the other rooms in the house are hardwood or laminate.

We would like the least amount of chemicals possible in a carpet. If that's not too much of a paradox, please let me know your opinions.

It's not the chemicals to worry about.  It's all of the crap carpet holds in and no vacuum can solve it.  Solid surface with rugs of your choice gives you the way to defeat that.  Simply send the rugs out for cleaning, or do it yourself, and clean the underlying surface.  Otherwise any carpet guarantees you will wallow in stuff you don't want to wallow in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

=== I wouldn’t argue with OT and Emile on the solid floors and quality area carpeting idea and for all their given reasons. And when we did our new flooring we went with about 70/30 split hardwood to carpet. But I do think it is far easier to recommend and live with the all solid floor idea when you live in a very temperate area I.e. warm climbs. Seems all of a Florida and much of the Southwest is all tile which fits those regions perfectly. For us folks that deal with a few months of winter quality deep pile carpeting can be a bit more “cozy” than woods or tiles. But I really like the look of stone/tile/wood. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

It's not the chemicals to worry about.  It's all of the crap carpet holds in and no vacuum can solve it.

EW, definite argument for a solid floor with rug scenario.

I was recently in a home with a cork floor that quickly warmed underneath my feet. After researching, cork wears faster than other flooring....not good in a well traveled area.

Thanks for your suggestions. Keep them coming as you think of anything else.

I'm sure you have been doing a little online research into this, but here is a link to some info. Though the carpets pictured don't look cozy etough for a family room.

https://gimmethegoodstuff.org/choosing-a-non-toxic-carpet/

As well, if you have money to burn, the carpeting sold on this site is some of the nicest around, visually. Restoration Hardware.They have room sized area rugs.

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/category/collections.jsp?categoryId=cat3170002

27 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

If you go with carpet, get the thinnest, hardest pad you can find.  The carpet will last longer, show less wear and not stretch as much.

=== funny, the carpet sellers want you to buy the thickest, softest pad they carry, and most $$$ — 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, richieb said:

=== funny, the carpet sellers want you to buy the thickest, softest pad they carry, and most $$$ — 

Thick soft pads feel great under your feet but they break down faster.  The stretching while you walk on it is what causes ripples. 

When we carpeted our living room 12 (or so) years ago with Berber, I found a nice hard thin pad to go under it.  The carpet store had to order it as no one ever chooses that pad.  Once it was installed and we walked on it my wife thought it was a bit hard as there wasn't the pad effect you normally feel.  She loves it now as 12 years later it still looks like it did when it was first installed and it's the highest traffic room in our house. 

For our new house, we are using Shaw LVP pretty much throughout the house except for bathroom areas where the commodes and showers are; those get tile along with the laundry room.  I think it's around 2200 sq ft of LVP and 225 sq ft of tile downstairs and I've been deliberating on what to do in my upstairs room which is about 600 sq ft or so.  I'd  thought carpet only because it's a low traffic area where the dogs won't be (ever) and it helps with the acoustics.  But, on the other hand, I've pondered just using the same LVP that's downstairs in the upstairs room and add the rug between the speakers and listening position to help with acoustics.  I just hate spending money on rugs to cover floors.  ha.  It's about time to decide on that upstairs part, though.

• Like 1