RF-7 III...Trying to achieve better off-center imaging

adam2434

Our RF-7 III’s are in a 2-channel system used for audio and video content (we have a separate 5.1 system in the basement).

Most of the time when this system is used, I am on the left side of the couch and my wife is on the right side.  If I am alone, I sit in the middle of the couch, which is one the centerline of the TV and speakers.  When I sit in the middle, the center image is fine.

However, when I sit on the left, there is no center image and the left speaker dominates.  This is becoming increasingly annoying, now that my brain is in-tune to it.  It’s like I’m only hearing the left friggin’ speaker.  Interestingly, if I slowly turn my head to the left, there is a point where the sound will become centered between the speakers.

I’m sure this does not bother my wife on the right side, as she could care less about the sound.

I recently increased the toe-in from converging a couple feet behind the couch to now converging slightly in front of the center listening position.  This really did not help.  And man, the RF-7 III are a pain to adjust by yourself on carpet with the spikes installed.  I basically palm the sides of them, lift, place, then repeat until I get both to the same dimensions from the back wall.

From what I’ve read so far, sounds like I need to try extreme toe-in, with the speakers converging several feet in front of the center listening position (not looking forward to moving the speakers again!).  This extreme toe-in will look strange in the room, but I think I need to try it. 

However, does this extreme toe-in narrow the soundstage, especially when seated in the center position?

I’m wondering if the extreme toe-in makes off-center imaging better, but shrinks the soundstage.

Thanks for any input.

I actually believe that your solution is three-channel stereo--by adding a (good) center channel and mixing the left and right channels into mono (either as PWK recommended), or by using an AVP or AVR and using a center channel synthesis mode. 

The extreme toe-in thing only works for loudspeakers having beaming issues.  For instance, it doesn't work on K-402s very well since their polars are solid out to 45 degrees with almost no drop-off in SPL vs. frequency.

Stereo has limitations...and you just found one of them.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, adam2434 said:

I’m sure this does not bother my wife on the right side, as she could care less about the sound.

You are preaching to the choir, my friend.  I have RF-83's and my wife says she can't hear the difference between them and and the AM radio in her car.  :rolleyes:

Like you my first instinct is to use toe-in (aim towards opposite listeners) and arrange the speakers in an equilateral triangle to the MLP.

As an alternative I am also a fan of 3.1 sound as the center speaker anchors the center sound by combining the L/R signal.What do you think of the idea @Chris A suggested?  Do you think it might help to pick up a third RF-7 III or RC-7 III RC-64 III?

The best center channel acoustically is another front loudspeaker type.  Then you don't have phase, different height above floor, or timbre issues.

• Like 1

It's funny...I have had several different floorstanders in this system over the years (RF-7 III, RF-7 II, RP-280F, Def Tech BP-10B, and Energy RC-70), and for some reason, I'm only noticing the extreme lack of off-center imaging with the RF-7 III.  Could be a coincidence or could be something specific to the RF-7 III.

I have to live with 2.0 in this system due to space constraints.

Maybe I'll just migrate over to the center position and crowd my wife to the right.  Maybe she will think I'm just trying to snuggle...nah, she knows me better.  :D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Use balance controls if you have them temporarily when it irritates you. 

What a concept.;):P 

Seriously, in my living room stereo rig I sit a little off center on my sofa and utilize the well designed balance/tone controls of my Yamaha A-S1000 and it is pin point accurate center imaging with my RB-75s.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adam2434 said:

It's funny...I have had several different floorstanders in this system over the years (RF-7 III, RF-7 II, RP-280F, Def Tech BP-10B, and Energy RC-70), and for some reason, I'm only noticing the extreme lack of off-center imaging with the RF-7 III.  Could be a coincidence or could be something specific to the RF-7 III.

I have to live with 2.0 in this system due to space constraints.

Maybe I'll just migrate over to the center position and crowd my wife to the right.  Maybe she will think I'm just trying to snuggle...nah, she knows me better.  :D

Just tell her the truth,  I got to sit in the sweet spot,  its an audio thing, don't get any ideas. 😀   

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

While you're playing with placement, you might remove the spikes, find the sweet spot, then place them back on spikes. It will make moving them much easier, and wear and tear on your carpet.

Yep, I thought of that after I did a bunch of shoulder isometrics last Saturday.  😣 

Great idea!

I work out several times a week, but felt like I did 20 sets of shrugs after moving, adjusting, moving, adjusting them.

• Haha 2