Chorus II How to Power

Benjie

My new to me Chorus ii’s will be here in a couple of days! I bought them from a member here and they have had the Crites updates.

The rest of my house I’m big time invested in Sonos and love them. I want to hook my Chorus ii’s up to my new (still in return period) Onkyo TX NR686 (works with Sonos certified). That way I can have the convenience of of my Sonos streaming in the palm of my hand, but still have WiFi. 

My concern is that the NR686 won’t have enough power??? I hear I need 200 watts to really make the speakers sound great. The Onkyo only provides100. 

Thanks for the education on this great forum. 

8 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

The best I have heard my Chorus II sound was with the Luxman R117.  

The R-117 is a very special piece that I can make the same claim about my Heresys.

8 hours ago, Benjie said:

Thanks for the response. I’m not familiar, but a quick google showed a r-115 for sale. I’m assuming though that it hasn’t enough power?

Actually the R-115 has the same sound signature as the R-117 but with less power.  With that said, it's "70w/ch" is more than enough to drive the Chorus IIs to ear bleeding levels in your average size room.  Below is a quote from a review in hifi-classic.net. 

"The dual power amplifiers can deliver high currents. Although rated for only 70 watts continuous output into 8 ohms (from 20 to 20,000 Hz with no more than 0.03 percent total harmonic distortion), they are also rated to drive 2-ohm loads at up to 270 watts per channel for short periods. The large power transformer and filter capacitance give the receiver a 3-dB dynamic headroom over its rated power output into 8 ohms."

http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/luxman-r-115-419.html

Bill

• Like 1

I hate to ask what a R-117 brings. The vintage gear is nice. Nice units cost more than new.

There are dried out filter caps, scratchy pots, channel inbalance, and other issues in vintage gear. The Luxman is a premium unit. Used premium parts. Hopefully it has another 30 - 40 years left.

1 hour ago, Panelhead said:

I hate to ask what a R-117 brings. The vintage gear is nice. Nice units cost more than new.

There are dried out filter caps, scratchy pots, channel inbalance, and other issues in vintage gear. The Luxman is a premium unit. Used premium parts. Hopefully it has another 30 - 40 years left.

All good points but if the price of entry is reasonable and it operates properly, he is in for a real treat.

Bill

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Benjie said:

Got the speakers setup this morning. I’m blown away and only using $100 Yamaha receiver. The Luxman should arrive late next week. Cant imagine how much better that will sound. 

I hope some of us(me) did not steer you wrong.:o:D

Bill

• Haha 2

On 11/16/2018 at 1:31 PM, Benjie said:

IMG_0119.jpg

Looks great, can't say what it sounds like. To qualify the quality: I have had a few pair of Forte (and FII), and love their sound quality and quantity. Placement is critical to bring out their magic. I have placed them X far away from Y and toed in A amount and moved all over the freaking room...   until.. they produced a sound that is TOP SHELF..there is magic in the Forte. I believe the ChII will be similar. I have 2 pair of them right now and have not tried to place them where they will produce their best. 

Hardwood furniture, leather chairs, hardwood floors, glass and chit will reflect sound. My best sound is in a room that soaks all the sound it can (carpet, cloths seating, acoustic ceiling tile, etc...).  The Luxman has plenty of power and will send quality Hz to the Chorus, and the CHII are large and will produce large sounds. If you can, you might work on placement to bring forth quality that most don't.  

• Like 1