Av receiver recommendation

Eric2706

I will be ordering a nice set of 5.1 surround speakers this weekend.  

FRONT SPEAKERS  2 RP-280F

CENTER CHANNEL 1 RP-450C

BACK SPEAKERS 2 RP-250S 

SUB- R-112SW 

all, I need help choosing a good receiver.  I've been looking for a while now and pulling the trigger in a couple of days. I'm leaning towards Denon or Marantz. Some say marantz have better audio but not sure whata true. But either way. Can anyone reccomend a receiver and tell me why they'd choose it? 

I'm looking at the 

Denon AVR-4400h, denon AVR-6400H 

I'm open to other models and brands but those are what I seem to gravitate towards.  I may expand to atmos so i need atmos capability.  

System will be in my living room which is rectangle shaped and the back speakers will be on the back wall. Couch is on the wall as well, with TV and front speakers and sub on front wall. 

Any ideas which is best for me? 

I have the 4400 and I feel it's decent for the price.  Nowadays, alot of people think that denon and marantz share the same circuitry with minor tweaks but different faceplates. I am not sure if it's true or not but the marantz seems to command a premium for similar spec models. 

I think the 4400 is a good model and I am happy with the purchase, especially for the 800 or whatever they are going for nowadays. My setup is similar to yours and it replaced a older, higher end onkyo due to the need for 4k support. I feel the build quality and sound are better, not drastically so, but noticable enough, especially when effort is put into the calibration.

If I were to do it again, I would demo it against a Yamaha, whose last year upper models can be had for similar sale pricing to the denons and seem to be receiving excellent reviews. I did not do this, but often wish I did. 

Good luck. Obviously ask yourself what features you really need and if at all possible try them before you buy. 

Edited by jackrcox

On 11/14/2018 at 10:24 PM, Eric2706 said:

Denon AVR-4400h, denon AVR-6400H --- Any ideas which is best for me? 

Both are good and both are known to work well with Klipsch.  Your setup looks like an excellent choice.

At a certain point you don't want a larger AVR for more power but for more features, such as Atmos in a 5.2.4.  If you don't think you are going to use those features, don't pay extra for them.

Here is a Youtube vid which compares the Marantz 8012 to the Denon 6400 in terms of build and features.  It gives you a snapshot of the differences, all in favor of the Marantz which is at a higher cost.  The Marantz is technically superior, but can you hear the differences?  I don't know but the Denon models have good sound according to those who own them.

Disclaimer:  I own the nine-channel Marantz 6011, I've never heard the Denon 4400 or 6400.