Matching speakers to amp

TheOrb

Hi All,

I’m about to audition and potentially purchase some RP 8000s. They would be my first Klipsch speakers. I have arrived at Klipsch because I recently purchased a Sunfire tga-401, and after playing music quite loudly and having the amp clip, I have been advised (by someone very knowledgeable) that my Wharfedales Diamonds’ average sensitivity are the problem. They’re a pretty nice speaker but I’ve always been keen to try horns and I’m confident the 8000s will present a nice upgrade. 

My question to you guys is do you think it’s a ridiculous overkill to run such a powerful amp through such sensitive speakers? I mean, obviously I’ll have to be sensible with the volume control, but it should be a positive thing for the amp to just have a nice easy ride at high listening levels, right?

I’m currently using a Marantz av7005 pre/pro.

Any thoughts much appreciated 

@TheOrb,

Welcome to the forum.

24 minutes ago, TheOrb said:

I’m about to audition and potentially purchase some RP 8000s. They would be my first Klipsch speakers.

Looks to be a fine choice.

25 minutes ago, TheOrb said:

I have arrived at Klipsch because I recently purchased a Sunfire tga-401, and after playing music quite loudly and having the amp clip, I have been advised (by someone very knowledgeable) that my Wharfedales Diamonds’ average sensitivity are the problem.

Very surprised with the Sunfire clipped even with the Diamonds.

29 minutes ago, TheOrb said:

My question to you guys is do you think it’s a ridiculous overkill to run such a powerful amp through such sensitive speakers? I mean, obviously I’ll have to be sensible with the volume control, but it should be a positive thing for the amp to just have a nice easy ride at high listening levels, right?

No overkill at all.  Been running 200w/ch Acurus amps with my RF-63s(98dB) for better part of 8 years and no issues at all.  Dynamics baby.:D

Bill

• Like 1

8 hours ago, willland said:

Very surprised with the Sunfire clipped even with the Diamonds.

Well, I was working them very hard...

8 hours ago, willland said:

No overkill at all.

Ok, thanks, good to hear. Also, is it a consensus around here that Klipsch speakers (in particular) don’t sound their best until after a breaking in period, and how many hours would that be? Or is that another one of those divisive concepts?

Welcome to the Forum.

Break in with speakers is not a subject where all agree. I'm of the mindset that it happens very quickly, before you're done with the first listening session.

Sunfire is good stuff! I enjoy a Sunfire Cinema Grand (200 x 5).

Welcome to the Forum, TheOrb.

If you're referring to Dr. Alex Paterson's Orb, I'm a huge fan. If not, still a cool username. 🙂

Thanks and thanks, River. Yep, pretty big Orb fan here. Will be taking some with me to check out these 8000s

I see you have an Emotiva pre/pro. I was checking out the xmc recently. Do you think that would be a significant upgrade on the Marantz av7005, or not much different?

• Like 1

On 11/15/2018 at 9:01 PM, TheOrb said:

I see you have an Emotiva pre/pro. I was checking out the xmc recently. Do you think that would be a significant upgrade on the Marantz av7005, or not much different?

I'm not qualified to answer your question. Never owned a Marantz for home theater. My UMC-1 has worked very well for about 10 years now. It's old enough that I feel close to justified in purchasing something newer.

Can others please chime in with their experiences with Emotiva vs Marantz? 

One thing is certain, I'd love to hear that TGA-7401!