LaScala Manufacture date

jackrcox

Thank you very much for the kind words. I had forgotten about this thread until now and looking back at it I can remember how excited I was to post the picture of them together, even though the overall setup, well... um, does not look great. @Islander thats a good point, I will grab some felt mats this weekend. These already have a few scuffs here and there but overall they look nice. I would like to keep them that way. Thank you. @JohnKuthe I have wanted to get a McIntosh to try for some time now. The issue is finding one to demo without droping north of 4 figures to not be satisfied. Its currently powered by an Adcom 555ii with various tube preamps but I feel like that one will probably need some work soon. 

I am currently making payments to @sheltie dave for a Scott 272 he owns that will replace most of my current gear after he takes it to get worked on by @NOS Valves later this year. I should note that Dave currently has a great list of things in the Garage Sale area for sale that probably should be bumped.

I'm going to go ahead and throw in a picture of the way the room looks now in case anyone comes across this thread and otherwise would think I am a bum. 

Screenshot_20190418-113630_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jackrcox said:

Thank you very much for the kind words. I had forgotten about this thread until now and looking back at it I can remember how excited I was to post the picture of them together, even though the overall setup, well... um, does not look great. @Islander thats a good point, I will grab some felt mats this weekend. These already have a few scuffs here and there but overall they look nice. I would like to keep them that way. Thank you. @JohnKuthe I have wanted to get a McIntosh to try for some time now. The issue is finding one to demo without droping north of 4 figures to not be satisfied. Its currently powered by an Adcom 555ii with various tube preamps but I feel like that one will probably need some work soon. 

I am currently making payments to @sheltie dave for a Scott 272 he owns that will replace most of my current gear after he takes it to get worked on by @NOS Valves later this year. I should note that Dave currently has a great list of things in the Garage Sale area for sale that probably should be bumped.

I'm going to go ahead and throw in a picture of the way the room looks now in case anyone comes across this thread and otherwise would think I am a bum. 

Screenshot_20190418-113630_Gallery.jpg

I was GONNA SAY!! The floor and walls looked awfully acoustically HARD in that previous pic!

:-)

I have a bunch of big soft wall hangie things from ElectroThreads.com! Cool Hippie looking softies! Soft wall to wall carpet but open unfinished basement ceiling!

John Kuthe...

jackrcox, I wouldn't worry about your amplifier having too much power.  I ran my La Scalas for a couple of years with a 500 Wpc Yamaha MX-D1 mp, then I converted them to JubScalas, and added a second MX-D1 amp, since JubScalas are meant to be bi-amped.  They're also 2-way, not 3-way.  That means that 500 watts are available to each woofer and each tweeter.  That was in 2008.  I never had any problem with them, because I always pay attention when I turn the volume knob either way.  Do remember to turn the volume way down before you shut down the system.  That way, the speakers won't get a sudden blast of power when you switch on your stereo.  The same goes for switching between sources, since phono cartridges in particular have very low output, so you may turn up the volume and forget it when you switch to the CD input.

Your amp may well be running in its cleanest range, with the least distortion.  Speakers often sound better as the volume comes up, but the opposite is often true with home audio amps, which usually sound best in their lower power ranges.  In your case, you've got all the power you need, plus lots of headroom for when sudden loud transients momentarily demand more power.  It's all good.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Oh yes. I have them and they are superb.

I talked to the guy yesterday and he told me one of the speakers was broken but he had a guy coming by to fix it and he would let me know after that when to come by. I had been chomping at the bit so I asked if I could come and look at them anyway. He said that was fine. One of the wires on the crossovers was unscrewed in the broken speaker. He told me that the first guy came to look at them set them up and was fiddling around with that one and then tried to lowball him. That was very suspicious, indeed. 

Whatever the case I demoed them keeping an open mind. I approached one of the speakers thinking it had a small tick to it but realized that it was a guy in the recording keeping time with his foot that I had not heard before. After that, I was sold and got them into a truck as quickly and calmly as I could.

They are early 90s and have AL3 crossovers. Sound is great in the room I have them intemporarily. I currently have the adcom amp powering them, but am only getting the volume a quarter of the way up as it supply's 200 watts(maybe I should use something lower wattage?)

Ignore the record player on the speaker, as I was just testing for function. 

Screenshot_20181125-123511_Gallery.thumb.jpg.1049a277dac92160eac5c06e25196f0c.jpg

I would move those shelves and stuff both speakers in the corners toed in 45 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/29/2019 at 1:50 PM, Steve Brinkley said:

I bought a pair of Klipsch lascala 2 about 10 months ago the owner didn't tell me what year they were and I didn't think to ask. I don't know if they're old enough to have to replace or rebuild the crossovers so a year would be nice. The serial numbers are 100099518140007& 8

La Scala IIs started in 2006.  You need not be concerned about aging capacitors until they are about 30 years old, if then.  Those of us that are replacing caps have very old speakers, like my 1981 models, or my 1967 H-700s.   

• Like 1

I bought a pair of Klipsch lascala 2 about 10 months ago the owner didn't tell me what year they were and I didn't think to ask. I don't know if they're old enough to have to replace or rebuild the crossovers so a year would be nice. The serial numbers are 100099518140007& 8

My LaScalas are 46 years old. The cross overs are fine and the speakers sound sweet as ever.Sometimes I think these cap replacers just need something to tinker with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1