LaScala Manufacture date

jackrcox

Hello All, 

I am new to the forums but have been a long time Klipsch user and am excited to be apart of the group. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a date of manufacture on a pair of LaScalas I was looking to purchase. 

P/N 0900711410

LS BIR LAC #

S/N 56515

W/O 11256

In addition, based on this date code, is there any recommended or necessary upgrades that would need to be done to them assuming nothing has been changed and they are in good condition? 

Thanks,

Jack

00u0u_bGliOO8B7o0_600x450.jpg

No. The guy told me to come by and take a look on Sunday as he was out of town for work.

Strange, he seemed very forthright with the questions I had on the system. Whatever the case, I will proceed cautiously and report back. 

Also, do you know the person who posts the "cash for your vintage klipshhorn and lascala" posts? I have been trying to find either set but I am afraid that guy heads everything off before I can get to it. 

Edited by jackrcox

Not yet. I was starting to give up after sending him a text and calling earlier in the day. Finally, he responded saying he wasn't feeling the greatest and that he would call me tomorrow about them to figure something out 

Still no indication that this is a scam or anything on my end. I pray it's not. I will let you know. 

• Like 1

Oh yes. I have them and they are superb.

I talked to the guy yesterday and he told me one of the speakers was broken but he had a guy coming by to fix it and he would let me know after that when to come by. I had been chomping at the bit so I asked if I could come and look at them anyway. He said that was fine. One of the wires on the crossovers was unscrewed in the broken speaker. He told me that the first guy came to look at them set them up and was fiddling around with that one and then tried to lowball him. That was very suspicious, indeed. 

Whatever the case I demoed them keeping an open mind. I approached one of the speakers thinking it had a small tick to it but realized that it was a guy in the recording keeping time with his foot that I had not heard before. After that, I was sold and got them into a truck as quickly and calmly as I could.

They are early 90s and have AL3 crossovers. Sound is great in the room I have them intemporarily. I currently have the adcom amp powering them, but am only getting the volume a quarter of the way up as it supply's 200 watts(maybe I should use something lower wattage?)

Ignore the record player on the speaker, as I was just testing for function. 

Screenshot_20181125-123511_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

It seems that the Heritage Codes page does not apply to this set. The person these were purchased from said they were bought sometime in the early 90's, but for the life me I cannot make any sense of any of the numbers shown. Is there anyone I can reach out to or any additional information I can provide to get this answered? Thanks to all on the input and help.

Screenshot_20181127-103147_Gallery.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 11/27/2018 at 11:33 AM, jackrcox said:

It seems that the Heritage Codes page does not apply to this set. The person these were purchased from said they were bought sometime in the early 90's, but for the life me I cannot make any sense of any of the numbers shown. Is there anyone I can reach out to or any additional information I can provide to get this answered? Thanks to all on the input and help.

Yours were made in 1994. I have a pair of the exact same model that were made in '96 with a newer coding scheme introduced in '95 so I had done a research on the S/N. You cannot derive the manufacturing date from yours. Anyway, these are tremendous speakers, I didn't fully appreciate its sound until I hooked them to the right amp. Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Those are really good-looking speakers.  Soon after I got my La Scala IIs, I put a little scratch on them with the stainless steel bracelet of my watch, which was annoying.  I called Klipsch Customer Service for any advice on fixing the scratch and Steve (I've forgotten his last name) told me that lacquer finishes never really harden, even after years.  This means that if you put something on top of them that has small contact points (like its feet), it will likely leave little dents in the finish.  They may or may not come out after the object is removed.

For this reason, I use large cardboard pads under anything that goes on top of the speakers, except for the felt pads under the table lights I've put on them.

Just a hopefully helpful tip.

Happy listening!

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 12:35 PM, jackrcox said:

Oh yes. I have them and they are superb.

I talked to the guy yesterday and he told me one of the speakers was broken but he had a guy coming by to fix it and he would let me know after that when to come by. I had been chomping at the bit so I asked if I could come and look at them anyway. He said that was fine. One of the wires on the crossovers was unscrewed in the broken speaker. He told me that the first guy came to look at them set them up and was fiddling around with that one and then tried to lowball him. That was very suspicious, indeed. 

Whatever the case I demoed them keeping an open mind. I approached one of the speakers thinking it had a small tick to it but realized that it was a guy in the recording keeping time with his foot that I had not heard before. After that, I was sold and got them into a truck as quickly and calmly as I could.

They are early 90s and have AL3 crossovers. Sound is great in the room I have them intemporarily. I currently have the adcom amp powering them, but am only getting the volume a quarter of the way up as it supply's 200 watts(maybe I should use something lower wattage?)

Ignore the record player on the speaker, as I was just testing for function. 

Screenshot_20181125-123511_Gallery.jpg

Sweet La Scalas! :-) Yes they are excellent, I love mine! Mine are uglier, just badly kept raw birch, and I have yet to get Bob Crites new Type AA crossovers in mine yet.

I'm running mine with a McIntosh MC2105 Solid State amp and it's definitely NOT overworked, plenty of headroom! Rates at 105wpc.

John Kuthe...

• Like 1