La Scala II + Luxman L-509X - 1812 Overture!

JFHSQT

I recently replaced my vintage Luxman gear with a new Luxman L-509X integrated amp... the combination of power and detail from the 509X and the sensitivity of the LaScala IIs is incredible! It seems like this combo was made for each other... 

I know this is a lowly YouTube video, but here's a clip of the last several minutes of Doråti's 1812 Overture... an amazing demonstration of how dynamic and refined the La Scala IIs are (with an admitted assist on the cannon fire from an SVS SB16-Ultra)...

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Glad you are happy. Why is that sculpture or whatever you want to call it on top of an expensive integrated blocking the ventilation? 

Thanks! No concerns about the tchotchke.... it is very lightweight and does not obstruct the ventilation, which runs down each side of the integrated. The base sits in the middle and does not obstruct the grill. It also weighs maybe 2 lbs and has a felt bottom.

2 hours ago, JFHSQT said:

I recently replaced my vintage Luxman gear with a new Luxman L-509X integrated amp... the combination of power and detail from the 509X and the sensitivity of the LaScala IIs is incredible! It seems like this combo was made for each other... 

I know this is a lowly YouTube video, but here's a clip of the last several minutes of Doråti's 1812 Overture... an amazing demonstration of how dynamic and refined the La Scala IIs are (with an admitted assist on the cannon fire from an SVS SB16-Ultra)...

That's a very nice setup.  welcome.gif

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

That's a very nice setup.  welcome.gif

Thank you - I've owned the La Scala IIs for about 6 months now, and have always had all-tubes amplification (Luxman CL40 valve pre & PrimaLuna ProLogue 4). This is my first solid state system and I'm amazed at how well it combines forces with the high sensitivity of the La Scalas to create such a dynamic and responsive system. I will admit the tubes have their own particular beauty and can project a holographic soundstage that can induce goosebumps. But there is really something about this integrated  that leaps out of the blackness and smacks you in the face... it's just a whole different way of listening than a tube system.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JFHSQT said:

recently replaced my vintage Luxman gear with a new Luxman L-509X integrated amp... the combination of power and detail from the 509X and the sensitivity of the LaScala IIs is incredible! It seems like this combo was made for each other..

Very nice setup... would have been interesting to see what the output meters were reading during this video.

miketn

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Very nice setup... would have been interesting to see what the output meters were reading during this video.

miketn

I was very tempted to go in for a close up, but at that volume level the audio on the clip would have been a mess.

23 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Just curious why you would have one speaker firing in a different direction than the other?

Shakey

Funny, the thing is I don't know anyone that could come over and help me position my speakers. I've tried to do a master set by myself and it is just about impossible, especially with the La Scalas. The other thing is, due to the room, I cannot sit in a perfect triangle from the center point of the speakers. In this video, I am standing behind my couch which is directly in front of the console. But this couch is one of those leather home theater things where you basically can't sit in the middle seat. So my main listening position is the right side of the couch, nearly directly in front of that right La Scala. 

I spent a lot of time trying to get an optimal center image and sound stage with toe-in despite that off-center seating arrangement, and what I finally ended up doing was positioning the left speaker away from the wall for best bass response, then using a laser pointing level across that axis on the floor to match the same position on the right speaker, then for toe-in setting the laser level on top of each speaker right at the tweeter position, and laser-pointing the target right at my head when sitting in the main listening position.

I was surprised at how far off I was before I tried the laser pointer. Originally the tweeters were pointing way over my shoulder and behind me. But now, as cockeyed as they appear, they are both pointing directly at my head, and believe it or not I have a perfect center image. 

Someday if I ever make friends I'll have someone over and try to do a proper setup... for right now though it works well.

Edited by JFHSQT

I moved mine out of and into position many times by myself... it's a biatch, but it is possible. I wouldn't want to do it on a nice hard floor like yours though.

unless they are positioned in a equilateral manner,  you will never get perfect phantom imaging... though you may get close enough to satisfy.