Room Treatments

Tarheel

I had the 3602 bridged mono years back on the SRX subs. Was a monster.   Have a couple plx amps now.   They are one of the  quieter for pro amps as far as fan noise is concerned, which is a must for me.   Maybe I'll give one of them a try on my 396s. I HAVE A HOOKUP AT SWEETWATER if anyone needs anything. Shoot me a PM. 

4 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

They are one of the  quieter for pro amps as far as fan noise is concerned, which is a must for me.

I swapped my amps fans out just to be on the safe side.  Including the 4 amp fans there's a total of 7 fans in that area and you have to be right on top of it to hear them.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I'm cheap and those acoustical products are all pricey.  So has anyone been successful at a DIY project for treating problem areas?  Home Depot has 2'x6' foam for about $40 but I don' think that would look too good on freshly painted walls.  I'm thinking I need 4'x6' treated on two walls.

Ideas?

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

I guess I'm cheap and those acoustical products are all pricey.  So has anyone been successful at a DIY project for treating problem areas?  Home Depot has 2'x6' foam for about $40 but I don' think that would look too good on freshly painted walls.  I'm thinking I need 4'x6' treated on two walls.

Ideas?

If you can DIY, make some panels with 1x4 for the frame.  Install ROXUL and cover with the material of your choice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

If you can DIY, make some panels with 1x4 for the frame.  Install ROXUL and cover with the material of your choice.

That's what I did and ordered some Guilford of Maine acoustic cloth.

• Like 1

I recently ordered 3 panels, I put one on each side of the main loudspeakers to treat the first reflection points and then for the hell of it put one behind my main listening chair. I could tell a difference immediately hard to describe but my ears like it front stage seemed to open up a bit more and helped control the bass a little better seems tighter now and the best way I can describe it is everything just seems more "controlled".

To be honest I thought this was snake oil...it is not. I'm going all in next year.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, rockhound said:

I recently ordered 3 panels, I put one on each side of the main loudspeakers to treat the first reflection points and then for the hell of it put one behind my main listening chair. I could tell a difference immediately hard to describe but my ears like it front stage seemed to open up a bit more and helped control the bass a little better seems tighter now and the best way I can describe it is everything just seems more "controlled".

To be honest I thought this was snake oil...it is not. I'm going all in next year.

Room treatments aren't sexy.  You can't get excited over them like buying new electronic gear.  Most don't fantasize over them like they would a new amp BUT they make a noticeable difference in what you hear.  It's hard to push someone into buying into the whole idea  of room treatments but those that have made the leap are believers.

• Like 2