Klipsch rf 7 ii - not so horny

Sanjin

Hi guys,

Few months ago I bought rf-7 ii, Rc-64 ii and r-115sw drivers. I had the chance to get them very cheep so I did. Only the drivers.

Then I saw a guy selling the an empty rf-7 ii kabinet so i decided to buy that too and some more stuff and build the whole thing.

Most parts I got. I miss the horn drivers and the crossovers I cannot find in europe and shipping from the States is all together more expensive than I want to spend.

So I decided to use an active crossover (behringer cx3400) splitting two ways using two amplifiers. First one would be behringer A500 on the low and onkyo sr608 on the high.

The thing is that I still don't have the horns so I used the Rc-64 woofer, which fitted perfectly on the spot of the horn. On the top I added a super tweeter with built-in passive crossover that goes from 5000-40000 hz.

I use separate r-115sw for the very low, set to 60hz

When I hooked everything up it sounded great, soft and complete, definitely better then my old rf-82's which I play along to hear the difference. But I cannot compare that to original rf-7 ii because I never heard those.

I would like to have the sound at least as original rf-7 ii producing the whole range but I don't know if I'm missing something in the range without the horns. I cannot find the documentation om Rc-64 to see what range de woofers produce. And Im struggling how to set the crossover points. I would appreciate your suggestion and help.

rsz_img_20181115_222605.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Westcoastdrums said:

You clever bugger you.  Interesting indeed. 

Depending where in Europe our new friend is from, calling him a bugger might not be the compliment you intended.  :lol:

Mr. West Coast Drums has a pure heart and I'm very sure he was being nice @Sanjin:)

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Depending where in Europe our new friend is from, calling him a bugger might not be the compliment you intended.  :lol:

Mr. West Coast Drums has a pure heart and I'm very sure he was being nice @Sanjin:)

Thanks wvu80. In that case no offense taken haha. By the way I'm from Holland. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I am aware.  I have had British friends.   I meant it in a harmless way and didn't feel anyone would take offense.   In fact all the British friends I have had are generally hilarious and have an excellent sense of humor.  @Sanjin, +1 on the bonus points for you o ntje creativity department.   

Thanks Westcoastdrums! 

14 hours ago, Sanjin said:

No, that is standalone super tweeter by Realistic reproducing more high than regular tweeter 

Interesting.  I believe that Realistic super tweeter is the one that Stereophile, in October 2005, tried with the Bozak Concert Grand, when the reviewer didn't think the Bozak had loud enough or far reaching enough high frequency response.  It was either made by, or distributed by, Radio Shack here in the United States. image.png.9c93b50590658370e87d6872be8cf6c8.png 

I believe Stereophile concluded that the super tweeter was an improvement. 

Here is the frequency response curve as measured by the manufacturer.  It is meant to be used only above 5K.

image.png.1cdce6fa83b1b0ea4e445b464d42bf26.png

The red trace is the Realistic super tweeter, measured anechoically by Stereophile, set about 5 dB too high.  I wonder if it would be better or worse in a listening room?  

image.png.13fee2d1f09bec609e1340b9474ed675.png

N.B.: As you can see below, the Bozak Concert Grand (Blue trace above) looked better in the listening room (graph below) Stereophile used for the Concert Grands.

image.png.f9fb2b360a13ad7e00844e15549a3fad.png

Question, is the lower portion of the cabinet sealed from where the high horn would mount?  I'm looking at your picture and I see what appears to be foam rolled around the midrange driver from the RC-64.  If the woofer portion of the cabinet is not separate I'd definitely look into sealing it somehow.  if it is, never mind.....

Won't a typical 6.5" woofer start to beam at about 2.5 kHz and have some serious break-up modes in the 4-5 kHz range?

Seems like crossing a 6.5" woofer to a super tweeter at 5 kHz is going to cause some serious issues.

Not a speaker designer, so take this for what it's worth.

23 hours ago, garyrc said:

Interesting.  I believe that Realistic super tweeter is the one that Stereophile, in October 2005, tried with the Bozak Concert Grand, when the reviewer didn't think the Bozak had loud enough or far reaching enough high frequency response.  It was either made by, or distributed by, Radio Shack here in the United States. image.png.9c93b50590658370e87d6872be8cf6c8.png 

I believe Stereophile concluded that the super tweeter was an improvement. 

Here is the frequency response curve as measured by the manufacturer.  It is meant to be used only above 5K.

image.png.1cdce6fa83b1b0ea4e445b464d42bf26.png

The red trace is the Realistic super tweeter, measured anechoically by Stereophile, set about 5 dB too high.  I wonder if it would be better or worse in a listening room?  

image.png.13fee2d1f09bec609e1340b9474ed675.png

N.B.: As you can see below, the Bozak Concert Grand (Blue trace above) looked better in the listening room (graph below) Stereophile used for the Concert Grands.

image.png.f9fb2b360a13ad7e00844e15549a3fad.png

That is definitely the same one. Thanks for the information on that! 

• Like 1