Best Cornwall....?

Don McPhee

3 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Ah, you are aware that Bonehead is the chief speaker designer for Klipsch the company aren't you?

Yes, and I'm dying to read if he agrees with you that a commercial pro Klipsch speaker intended to be a PA speaker in an amusement park will sound appreciably better in a home environment than one intended for that purpose.  ..I think he's helping make my point, not yours.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

es, and I'm dying to read if he agrees with you that a commercial pro Klipsch speaker intended to be a PA speaker in an amusement park will sound appreciably better in a home environment than one intended for that purpose.  ..I think he's helping make my point, not yours.

Better go re-read what he stated.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

Let's see.  Google says 9 hours, 45 minutes from here to TN.  Let's call it 7 hours for me.  Be right there.

I have tried giving these JBL's to anyone with a church and nope. Bought these EAW's and stuck $400+ in them for B&C mid drivers and even now at around 200 below my actual cost they are still here. I knock the price down $20 every other day or so as I want this reminder of serious mental deficiencies gone. Sometime in January  if this persists you can come and get them EAW FR235T and JBL AC 2212 95

17 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Better go re-read what he stated.

Just did.  ..He's saying that ALL Klipsch speakers are engineered to be linear (true to input) within their frequency range and that playing louder doesn't mean less linear.  ..But that's NOT what you are saying.  You're saying that Pro speakers sound Better.  ..So, why?  ..If, as CBH states, all Klipsch speakers are designed to faithfully reproduce the input signal would their Pro speakers sound better at home where their tremendous SPL isn't needed??  Especially given that they don't extend nearly as low as, say, Cornwalls, which is essential to my music preferences??   ..My CW III's don't play as loud as their pro speakers but they also don't need a subwoofer.  So why, if this is true, would I have preferred the MCM 1900's you insist are way better?

1 minute ago, ODS123 said:

Just did.  ..He's saying that ALL Klipsch speakers are engineered to be linear (true to input) and that playing louder doesn't mean less linear.  ..But you're saying that Pro speakers sound Better.  ..Why?  ..If, as CBH states, all Klipsch speakers are designed to faithfully reproduce the input signal would their Pro speakers sound better??  Especially given that they don't extend nearly as low as, say, Cornwalls??  Which is something that may not matter in a commercial PA system, but may in a home system.  ..My CW III's don't play as loud as their pro speakers but they also don't need a subwoofer.

I guess the best way to describe the difference is presence. While the specs may say the same hz range somehow the pro gear makes it more authoritative. Another thing I would say is the  Klipsch pro stuff here has the ability to be more source neutral and give you better sound in a wider area left to right.  Basically it's sweet spot can be larger. And finally they seem to overwhelm bad a acoustic environment better. These are my opinions and have not been scientifically measured to be so here but it is what my ears tell me. And if you like louder they do that too and maintain the exacting fidelity there also. I find over time I listen at lower average levels though.

• Thanks 1

I'm with Dave A on this one.   Took me finally biting the bullet and making a larger klipsch pro purchase for myself.   I am thankful I did.   Klipsch used pro gear by me doesn't exist (used that I have seen and I look regularly) .  Never bothered to find someone on here to have a listen either.  I have owned KP 250 IIs, which I sold as I didn't want to piss the neighbors off with subs.   I kept my kp 302s and LOVE them for outdoor use. Was foolish to think of selling them.   I put them side by side with jbl SRX and they take the cake.   They do not sound like typical pro speakers.   Typical pro speakers from my experience don't start to sound very good until they start to hit higher spls.   Whether it be background music or full blast, both the KP 302s and the KI 396 IIs sound wonderful no matter what they are fed or the volume.   I have a full hifI setup inside with mostly uncompressed files through a DAC and you can hear that.   I have a cheap, bottom of the line behringer mixer and old QSC PLX amp outside and they sound great with that, but they Def reveal poor quality MP3s.   I have owned every speaker in the heritage line and although I am quite fond of their latest series: heresys, Cornwalls and fortes, I would much rather keep the 396s. Wish they were a little purdier like the heritage, but you can't have everything. 

Think you will find "taste" in here somewhere. No doubt the Pro line was designed and built for their intended purpose(purpose built), and will take member's word for it. Wide open spaces or large venues where the Pro come into play. On the other hand, we have the large home versions which to my ears are very well designed and up to the challenge...imlo...:) Bias will come into play at times. Any Klipsch have heard to date well, sounds good to me. Sure nearfield listening on a Pro sounds nice. Shines at higher volumes...

4 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Wish they were a little purdier like the heritage, but you can't have everything. 

I think you can order these in raw birch too and if so I have used satin spar polyurethane on birch and it looks really good. I believe they can be ordered without handles and corner guards to or at least this used to be an option.

They can be ordered in raw birch.  The deal on pricing wouldn't have been the same which would have been a, deal breaker.   Also, to customize the speakers is significantly more as well.   I am happy with them in ugly black for that reason haha. Otherwise, I wouldn't be willing to spend what they cost.  

49 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

You're saying that Pro speakers sound Better.  ..So, why?

I'm certainly not an expert....but having owned both.....and in agreement that the big stuff sounds better....  I think one reason ("the" reason perhaps??) is because they use larger format drivers & horns.

If you hear what some of the 2" horns sound like, then compare them back to the 1" horns....  the scale of sound, the detail, the virtual non-existent distortion....  will quickly convince you that they indeed sound better.  Note that volume has nothing to do with this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Westcoastdrums said:

The main point is, I wouldn't automatically disregard the klipsch Pro line just because one assumes they they are designed with completely different goals in mind than the home environment.  Cheif bonehead already chimed in and stated that is not the case.   

I'm most certainly not disregarding them.  If I should ever buy a home with a banquet hall sized family room where I'm situated 30 yards from the speakers rather than 13', they'll be the first speakers I consider.  ..But then I'll have to get a subwoofer to fill that same sized space.

Just now, ODS123 said:

I'm most certainly not disregarding them.  If I should ever buy a home with a banquet hall sized family room where I'm situated 30 yards from the speakers rather than 13', they'll be the first speakers I consider.  ..But then I'll have to get a subwoofer to fill that same sized space.

You're showing either your ignorance.....or bias?

I once had a pair of Khorns.  I presume we can both agree that those are "home" speakers, no??

I found a spot in my house (open floor plan) about 30 feet away (yes I measured) where they came into a singular voice and sounded distinctly better.  Fast forward a number of years, I sell them and replace them with the Jubilee.  The Jubilee is one of those cinema speakers that you might feel are designed for a banquet hall.

I soon went to this 30' distance to hear how they improved.....only to be frustrated that their sound didn't change.  Fast forward to the end of the story, what I discovered is since they were 2-way their sound came together much faster, therefore closer than the Khorns and now, I can be about 10 feet away from them to get that similar singular voice that the Khorns took 30 feet for me to achieve.

So now, we have the cinema speaker sounding better in the home, than the home speaker.....and at a closer distance!!

• Thanks 4