Best Cornwall....?

Don McPhee

3 hours ago, ODS123 said:

I'm asking the question why would pro speakers sound better in a home setting than those built for that specific purpose.

To try to answer your question with the preface that I'm not an engineer (though I did marry a retentive wife!)

Anyways, I would put part of the reason like this.  Look at the picture below.  When you look at the cones of output you see different shapes.  The lower image has similar cones for all levels.

When you are listening to the Jubilee for example, it might be similar to the lower picture where you have constant coverage of the sound.  If you listen to something different, it might have different patterns.

So the larger speakers (2" throat horns) are going to give you better dynamics, larger scale of sound and better, more even coverage of output (meaning it will sound similar in more areas of the room instead of different flavors (the above photo) coming in more or less strong depending on where you are.

Again, that's just my thoughts.

power%20response.jpg

Okay, my question is this:  Exactly how much content are you really getting when talking about 20hz to 45-50hz?  Other than movies, what else do you listen to that you miss a lot if your primary speakers don't go that low?

If you primarily watch movies, and you want that level of bass output, of course you would utilize a subwoofer.  Even in the event that some main speakers go that low, you normally would purchase a piece of equipment specifically designed to do exactly that. 

Why would you not?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, USNRET said:

Buy my trio of one year old walnut Cornwall IIIs so I can do commercial. 

Dangit.  Here's what I warned you all about.  It's coming true already.

@USNRET Pro speakers suck.  Veneer is where it's at.  Stick with your Cornwalls, you will be much happier in the long run!

(Do you think he bought it???)

7 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Nope I let my mechanical slave do that while I listen to music. Sometimes I sit there in silence mesmerized by the mill while I ponder witty things I can say.

=== “mesmerized by the mill”. I’ll never forget the my company had a subsidiary machine shop, very well equipped. A proverbial “newbie” was watching a cutting tool do its thing at 15k rpm. You could almost sense he was mesmerized and fascinated in the operation, the tool itself appearing harmless. And so it was - he’s starring one second and reaches out to touch the tool the next. Yes, very quickly he lost an idy bidy tip from his finger. He wasn’t long for the company as I recall —

3 minutes ago, richieb said:

he’s starring one second and reaches out to touch the tool the next.

Stuff happens quick. Worked once with a guy who did not respect shapers in a carpentry setup. Those 3" knives at 30000 rpm are invisible except at the hub. Three fingered Jim was his name.

Since we are off topic. While running an older NC converted to CNC mill I complained to the shop’s millwright that my machine just wasn’t right. He checked it and blew me off. While milling pieces for a 25’ diameter electromagnet I turned my back for a moment to look at the drawing....too late I turned back and saw that the Z axis was overrunning. At that speed and feed given my distance to the E Stop I chose to dive behind my toolbox. I survived but the mill didn’t.

He bought me beer.

The offer of CW IIIs is valid.

2 hours ago, Oicu812 said:

Okay, my question is this:  Exactly how much content are you really getting when talking about 20hz to 45-50hz?  Other than movies, what else do you listen to that you miss a lot if your primary speakers don't go that low?

Why would you not?

The very bottom is always here. I can tell when my sub on on or off. It is crossed at 60 Hz.

Use 18 dB/octave high pass and 6 dB/octave on the low pass. This allows more pass through to boost the output of the La Scala in the 60 - 120 Hz region. 

Played with frequency and slopes. Many settings worked fine. 

Speakers can suffer from bass doubling. The second harmonic is higher output than  the fundamentals at the very bottom.This is how really small speakers sometimes sound fuller range. 

I am sold on using a sealed sub. After about 10 years there is no going back.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dave A said:

Klipsch the best music your neighbors will ever hear :D My nearest neighbor is about an 1/8 of a mile away through the woods. He shoots lots of guns and I shoot guns and play big speakers and we all get along just fine.

I can dig the idea of big speakers and loud music.  ..Recreational use of devices meant to end lives?  ..Not so much.  Can't even fathom how one could be enthusiastic about such things.

Heritage is meant for home use, pro is for commercial. That being said Pro speakers sound great in home use. Home speakers are designed for sound and aesthetics. They are designed for the all mighty WAF. Pro speakers are not limited by looks. Solid black cabinets and usually heavy duty drivers. I have a pair of kp201 speakers which is a heresy II. However, the woofer in the pro speaker is a heavier duty which is designed for higher power. Although I have not A+B compared the kp201 to the heresy II speakers, I believe from what I read that the kp201 speakers sound a little better due to the woofer.

16 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

I can dig the idea of big speakers and loud music.  ..Recreational use of devices meant to end lives?  ..Not so much.  Can't even fathom how one could be enthusiastic about such things.  I find them utterly depressing

Yep and we shoot Bambi and Thumper and Chip and Dale and Tom Turkey here and eat them too. Had 17 of Tom's girlfriends in the yard this morning. I am an active member of PETA or People Eating Tasty Animals. Stop in for a listen here in flyover country and have a Hickory smoked Deer burger guaranteed not to have any artificial anything in it range fed on my 56 acres of carbon sink forest and have a glass of real water from my cave spring without those big city additives. Forgot to mention no soy burgers though so be warned ahead of time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1