1950s khorns

Skelt

I have a single khorn s/n 1030.

It is in rough shape but is a collared version and under the top hat is some veneer that is still in pristine condition.

I believe it to be magonhagy.

Is there any info as to the original buyer, finish and driver complements?

Thank you, I have seen that pdf before.

The seller provided some documentation.
He believes it was purchased in 56.

But my research shows that the number letter format started in August 55.

It could be the he purchased a showroom model or it was NOS or he just has his dates wrong.

… the components inside help pinpoint the date and / or previous upgrades... such as the K-5-J squawker and the driver employed, the K500-5000 crossover with the oil can capacitors and their layout using the T2 and wire coil inductor's, the woofer type and date code, the tweeter driver... plus other thing's of general curiosity you see along your journey will help the next explorer, nevertheless... Historically, 65 year old production records requested in a post is too easy lol.... I have the #762 from 1954 and on a card, stapled inside the cabinet next to the serial number & inspection label, are the original noted drivers: Stephens 103 LX2 and University SA-HF and 4401 plus the finish code....

I haven't open the bass bin as of yet.
The tweeter is a square magnet and the mids are k55m.
The mid horn has been changed too.
The seller provided some documentation as when the components were changed.
The crossover (AK) is a mess and needs a complete overhaul.
I realise that this speaker will probably won't be restored to its original components.

• Moderators
On 11/16/2018 at 10:34 AM, Skelt said:

I have a single khorn s/n 1030.

It is in rough shape but is a collared version and under the top hat is some veneer that is still in pristine condition.

I believe it to be magonhagy.

Is there any info as to the original buyer, finish and driver complements?

Do you have some photos you can post?  We.can get.the Historian to see if he has any documentation  on it, you would be surprised what he can dig up.

Travis

The tag is long faded, but definitely mahogany.
This was one of three speakers that were for sale in the columbus area in early October. There is another khorn and a Belle, all orphans. The other k is a 1970 KCMR which is also mahogany and just as rough.
I had to disassemble the top hats to transport the home. In the 2nd pic it is just loosely assembled.

All speakers received regular updates with the last one in the late 80s. e96d174b81d7d8b7550e41c62861d839.jpgc5b11f6b71614ee7b22ba1c7ee7fd7ea.jpg397c3f4447b83a13ea5510e10df69465.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

#1030 was shipped to Dr. Wynsen of Columbus, OH on May 4, 1956.  Dealer was Custom Electronics of Dayton.  It is mahogany and the original components were Stephens 103LX2 woofer, University SAHF squawker (on a K-5-J horn), and University 4401 tweeter.  The upgrade included the HF baffle for mounting the K-400 horn. 

• Like 2