New HT speaker options

Feezelbum

Greetings all!

I am looking to setup my first HT system, and was hoping for some recommendations (or blessings) for my speaker purchase(s).

I currently have a Marantz SR6013 9.2 channel AVR on it's way that will be powering my existing RF-7ii's, an RC-64ii and a R-10SW.

I was looking at adding another R-10SW, 2x RP-140SA on the sides, 2x RP-250S for rears, and 2x RP-500SA for (Atmos evelvation).

Does this seem to be a good path for my first HT set-up?

I would change a couple things:

Put the RP-250s as your sides.  The RP-140SA are Atmos speakers that aren't designed to be use as actual surround speakers.  Go with the RP-160m for rears.  Side surrounds should be a wide dispersion design, rear surrounds should be a direct radiator design.

Your RF-7IIs are massively more powerful than the R-10SW sub, even having two of them.  At minimum I'd go with two R-112SW or two R-115SW subs.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Your RF-7IIs are massively more powerful than the R-10SW sub, even having two of them.  At minimum I'd go with two R-112SW or two R-115SW subs.

Agree with everything @wuzzzer recommended ^^^. 

I underlined the part of his comment I felt the strongest about, a pair of 15" subs will really give the HT that low frequency thump and rumble everybody wants from a movie experience. 

Don't integrate the 10" sub into the mix, go ahead and sell it or keep if for a near-field computer setup.

That Marantz 6013 is superb choice.  Plenty of power and options to dial that HT in exactly to your liking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  Much appreciated!

Our room is approximately 10' x 22' (width measurement is based on the alcove where the equipment sits) and is somewhat challenging for the size of the 115's  (please ignore the TV wiring and clutter in the pics, as that's my wife's new 75" that I just put up and I'm not managing the wiring until the new Marantz arrives).  Our viewing area is about 19' back and a door, windows and fireplace also make it a bit challenging for the surround speaker locations.

As you can see from the pic, wall space is limited up front, which is why the 10" subs were my initial plan.

That being said, my purchase is complete, and all items are being shipped:

2x RP-250S

2x RP-160m

2x RP-500SA

2x R-115SW

The wife purchased a narrower A/V stand for the equipment so I can cram the subs in, but my concern is there will only be about 40" of separation between them.  I could move them outboard of the RF-7's, but then I would need to bring those in a little closer which may obscure the TV, which is currently centered on the viewing position.

Did I go a little overboard for this space?

thumbnail_IMG_2997.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2998.jpg

Actually having the subs closer together can have benefits.  Research co-locating subs for more info.

It's too bad you have to sit so far away!  I personally dislike the look of having a tv over a fireplace but in your case is it an option so that you can have everything set up along the long wall?