LSII Tweeter Relacement

RadBlue

Hi all, seems I got a lil carried away listening to tunes last week when no-one was home and now my right top-hat has  a dead tweeter :(

I purchased these last May on auction from a local dealer ( they were their floor model demo's) and  did receive the 5 year warranty ( but this may fall under "abuse " 😳 ),

so that may not be an option. 

I've done a lot of reading on these forums on LS's and possible " upgrades " on tweeters for them but seems  they were mostly about the original LS's with very lil info on LSII's specifically.

SO atm I'm in need of info relating :  1) what would be the factory replacement model  ?   2) what possible options are out there for more "robust" aftermarket replacements specifically  for LSII's

The S/N off the top-hat is " LSIIBK+12370002 " if this helps.

thnx in advance.

Agree with him on that one.  Doesn't hurt to call klipsch and explain and see if they would be willing to help you out.   You might be surprised.   What amp are you running?  Perhaps you need more power in the future so you won't clip the amp and smoke the tweeters.   More than likely the culprit of underpowering.   I listened to my Cornwalls extremely loudly and never had that issue.  Sorry to hear, best of luck. 

I really doubt you blew the tweeter. It would require some serious sound pressure. Like 110 dB. Or more.

Considering that is less than 5 watts on your LS ii the amping clipping does not sound right either. 

This is too much information, but I have LS ii also. Plan on installing MAHL and B&C DE-120. They are waiting at the house. So will have a new pair of K-77’s and horns extra as soon as I do the swap. Maybe 50 hours on them. 

But it takes a lot to kill the later model  K-77. 

I torture tested mine. I use an interface as a source. Tried another interface and made a mistake while plugging it in. Plugged my amp into the line outs instead of the monitor outputs.. Both accept TRS plugs. The back has rows of jacks and I miscounted which pair was monitor output.

Selected a track, hit play and and the amp was given full output. It was freaking loud. Dove across the room and started twisting the volume pot. No effect. Finally realized there was a problem and turned the amp off. 

The amplifier is a 50 watt. Run wide open.

My ears rang for a few minutes. This from listening for maybe 20 seconds. Speakers still play fine.

Thnx for input. Amp I'm using is an Emo XPA-2Gen3, 300watts rms/ch 8ohms so I'm positive its not an under power/clipping issue, quite the opposite.

I know it's way to much amp but I purchased it for a set of RF-7iii's( which it was perfect for) and only had it a few days when the deal on the LSII's appeared.

As for how loud I have played , highest peek SPL I measured was 116db at my MLP ( 11feet from left and right, centered.)  Dire Straits Money for Nothing 😆

I would contact your dealer. Doubt anyone wants to eat shipping from Ontario to Hope for the speaker. But sending the top should not be to bad.

Have you tried any trouble shooting? May be failure in crossover. But at least try moving top hat from one bass bin to the other. Pulling the compression driver and swapping to the other speaker may void your warranty. With many products that is a  warranty killer.

At least take the two top hats to dealer to see if they have any Customer Service. Many have a tech available who can isolate whether it is driver or crossover failure. 

I stripped an ISO file from the Brothers in Arms SACD. Converted that to 96/24 for current dac. That is a very good recording and very solid musically. Played it this week. But maybe 20 dB lower level.

Spent too much time around big PA rigs growing up in Nashville. I get a headache from loud music now. Maybe I need to drink more alcohol.

I believe the replacement would be the K77-D.  I've swapped between the stock K77-D and CT120s on my LSII's at least 20 times and keep coming back to stock.  On paper, the CT120 looks better and can handle more power, but the K77 integrates better as a whole with the crossover and squawker in the LSII.  For example, above about 8khz, the CT120 gets very hot on the LSII, by as much as +4-5db at 10khz vs the K77.  Even after eq'ing this out, the K77 is a better match with the crossover and other horns in the LSii IMHO.  Although if you keep listening at 116SPL at your MLP, you might need the stronger top end of the CT120 sooner than you think 😉

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I'm quite surprised with an amp like that if you did blow them.... 

Well it was just the right tweeter, left still works fine. Funny thing is they still sound fantastic , it was only when I sat in the sweet spot to relax and listen that I

noticed the left seemed just a bit louder than the right, and then I noticed the imaging on some female vocals were a little off to the left . then got up and stood close to the left and listened,

then the right. Put my ear to the right and nothin :(

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, pbphoto said:

I believe the replacement would be the K77-D.  I've swapped between the stock K77-D and CT120s on my LSII's at least 20 times and keep coming back to stock.  On paper, the CT120 looks better and can handle more power, but the K77 integrates better as a whole with the crossover and squawker in the LSII.  For example, above about 8khz, the CT120 gets very hot on the LSII, by as much as +4-5db at 10khz vs the K77.  Even after eq'ing this out, the K77 is a better match with the crossover and other horns in the LSii IMHO.  Although if you keep listening at 116SPL at your MLP, you might need the stronger top end of the CT120 sooner than you think 😉

Sweet, just what I was looking for, some hands on experience 😃. This gives me more to think about. With this info I may lean more towards the CT120's. I'm always turning up the treble on the stock LSII's. This could be due to 35yrs doing concrete work, jackhammers saws, loud heavy machinery ect..  I know I don't hear above 13khz. I think I've already got to the point where I may heed the hotter top-end lol.

I normally listen at 80-85db at MLP, but some times, when no-ones around, that certain song comes on and thers this lil voice saying more.....mooooore  ...MMOOOOORE!!!  and I go off the deep end for a few songs till its out of my system :)

The CT120's my be just what I need, thanks again for your input.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pbphoto said:

I've swapped between the stock K77-D and CT120s on my LSII's at least 20 times and keep coming back to stock.  On paper, the CT120 looks better and can handle more power, but the K77 integrates better as a whole with the crossover and squawker in the LSII.  😉

I very much agree with the part of this statement excerpted above.   I tried the Crites VERY briefly several years ago, and thought the lack of spatial and frequency response blend was disqualifying.  I believe it's best to leave the Klipsch engineering in place!!

I would just get a factory replacement and not screw around with non-engineered substitutes.  The LS II is utterly outstanding IMO, so I wouldn't change a thing.  How do you know whether you'll agree with any of those other opinions?  I usually don't, FWIW.

Just be sure it's truly a blown tweeter!  Find another speaker or tweeter, no matter how bad it is, and try it out.  If it doesn't play, either, then you're on the wrong track.  Get advice from Klipsch about how to trouble-shoot and what to do about it. 

I am in complete agreement with the other two above... I tried a55g's and tweets and really, the factory smoothness and entire spectrum balance is magnificent.

When you begin swapping these things you're changing the sound... not necessarily making it better.

For a man that listens at excessive DBs and boosts The treble, obviously the factory tweeters aren't cutting it for him. I am sorry, but I am relatively sure you blew the tweeter.   I am unaware of a fused tweeter in LA scala II. Maybe someone can correct me?  Switch to Crites tweeter.  You will be happier. IMO 

• Like 1

Just want to say thnx to all for their suggestions. After flip-flopping a few times in the end I decided on both lol.

Just ordered a replacement for the factory K-77-D as I figured either way I should have a working set of factory tweeters.

But as Westcoast stated, and knowing myself, in the end I may need a set of Crites.

I'll prob contact Mr. Crites after X-mass to inquire about options from him.

thnx again all