Where's everyone buying crossover components?

bmassy

Looking to upgrade a pair of crossovers for a KG2 and possibly other klipsch speakers I have (Forte ii. Chrosu I, heresy ii). Right now Id like to upgrade them in my KG2 that are made in 1984. I know the caps could prob use a refresh and I'm thinking of replacing all components for a nice refresh.

So where's everyone buying their high end caps, inductors etc from? Not sure how much pice ranges from but I don't mind spending money on high quality parts. I was thinking about crites upgraded crossovers but I think a diy would be fun.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

parts express has some good options & good prices for caps & other related parts.  unless youre going for absolute top of the line & have the budget, the dayton or solen caps are very nice & doubt you can tell the difference between them & higher priced caps, especially in kg2 speakers or the average system in the average room.  if you have basic soldering skills caps are very easy to replace & the brands mentioned are similar in size to factory caps so will fit easily on the boards.  ERSE is another company with good quality caps & other parts. 

parts express has some good options & good prices for caps & other related parts.  unless youre going for absolute top of the line & have the budget, the dayton or solen caps are very nice & doubt you can tell the difference between them & higher priced caps, especially in kg2 speakers or the average system in the average room.  if you have basic soldering skills caps are very easy to replace & the brands mentioned are similar in size to factory caps so will fit easily on the boards.  ERSE is another company with good quality caps & other parts. 

Good to know thank you. Soldering is not a problem and I saw ERSE but never heard much about them. My KG2 are connected to a Rotel RA-1570. The system is used for TV and music in my bedroom. I feel like the KG2 sound a little dull but that could just be the tweeter type compared to the horns on my KG4.2.

5 hours ago, bmassy said:

Good to know thank you. Soldering is not a problem and I saw ERSE but never heard much about them. My KG2 are connected to a Rotel RA-1570. The system is used for TV and music in my bedroom. I feel like the KG2 sound a little dull but that could just be the tweeter type compared to the horns on my KG4.2.

yeah if you can solder the caps are very easy to replace, especially on a basic x-over like a kg2.  the poly caps from erse sound great to me & are comparable to the dayton 1% for a couple bucks each, they have lots of values other brands may not offer.  they have electrolytic caps for bass circuit too if yours need them, fast cheap shipping as well direct from erse.

the caps & x-overs mentioned like jupiter or what deang would use are on a whole nother level than what i mentioned... out of my tax bracket!

My last three jobs have been repairing work done by people who said, “Soldering is easy!”

Use film and tin foil. Metalized capacitors are a compromise. You get one shot - do it right. Start with Audiocap PPT Theta and work your way up. Jupiters and Jensen PIO are at the top.

If you can’t hear the difference between passive components - take up needlepoint. 

• Like 5

On 11/17/2018 at 6:12 PM, Deang said:

My last three jobs have been repairing work done by people who said, “Soldering is easy!”

Use film and tin foil. Metalized capacitors are a compromise. You get one shot - do it right. Start with Audiocap PPT Theta and work your way up. Jupiters and Jensen PIO are at the top.

If you can’t hear the difference between passive components - take up needlepoint. 

well if you had to repair those peoples work, they didnt really know how to solder!  no offense & not trying to belittle what you do, i've seen pics of your work & its top notch... but removing/replacing & soldering caps is not rocket surgery or brain science.  if you know how to solder correctly, it is indeed easy.

again, for the average person on a budget with average speakers or gear, entry level poly caps are light years beyond the stock ones & the average person can't tell the difference on average gear.  the majority of the benefit is replacing the old cheap factory caps, especially if they are "bad."   i don't doubt for a higher level speaker & gear the better caps are worth it, but realize not everyone is at your level or needs anything like those expensive caps you mention... the OP has KG2 speakers on a mid-fi AVR!  

klipsch sold these speakers with low quality cheap caps & the vast majority of owners were & are more than happy with the sound they produce.  i have been using the dayton type caps for many many years & they are a noticeable improvement over stock caps in most mid level brand speakers including klipsch. just like speaker wire or audio interconnects, most people cant tell the difference on the average system & even "audiophiles" have trouble reliably identifying the cable (or cap) in a blind back to back test.  it's only when you get an upgrade bug or have the budget & gear to justify it that you need to go to the next level & spend more on x-overs than you did on the speakers!

why is it folks always use wild polar opposites as pertinent examples... Soldering vs Rocket Science/Brain Surgery, what happened to Soldering versus Rebuilding an A10 transmission or perhaps making the perfect Nigri Sushi?

Some of these Capacitors are heat sensitive.

baseless idea of winning??  ya lost me there... wasn't aware it was a competition.  how is my sarcastic humor any different from your attempt at sarcastic humor? 

no need to reply since there's apparently no hope for humanity...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

...if you had to repair those peoples work, they didnt really know how to solder!

Ya think?

You later mention “basic soldering skills”. Could you please define what that means?

The point is, people come here and are told that anyone can do it and it’s not that difficult, and to give it a go - so they do. You can’t imagine the crap I see on a regular basis that passes for “basic soldering skills”.

To the OP - parts express has the widest assortment of parts. However, the kits that Bob sells are a very good value and you don’t have to hunt for the exact values - he has them all. When you move to doing your three-ways - maybe consider a capacitor like the AudioCap PPT Theta. Since the values you need are small, they really aren’t that expensive. Most people spend more on their interconnects. 

• Like 1

good question, i guess by basic soldering i mean that you have been soldering for awhile & doing more than just tinning speaker cable ends or repaired a broken wire.  & that you know how to make a good solder connection, not a cold solder joint that will break.  for replacing most factory klipsch caps, that you have worked on printed circut boards before & know how to desolder &  make longer or reshaped leads on the caps, etc. all basic things i guess, i am far from a pro or electrical engineer but was taught at a young age how to solder &  other basic entry level electronic tinkering. when kids were playing with GI joes at 10 years old i was building erector sets & taking apart my cheap ghetto blasters & record players.  

that all may be a little more than basic, but still if you're mechanicaly inclined & can watch some youtube videos or other instructional info & practice a little, you can probably change out a few capacitors... building & designing new x-overs from scratch & more elaborate circuit board work or repair will require quite a bit more knowledge & skill.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2018 at 12:01 PM, EpicKlipschFan said:

baseless idea of winning??  ya lost me there... wasn't aware it was a competition.  how is my sarcastic humor any different from your attempt at sarcastic humor? 

no need to reply since there's apparently no hope for humanity...

You win and have better humor.