Would these work well as surrounds with RF-7?

Woodbooger

Hey fellas, 

Hope it's okay I posted this here. On the hunt for some surrounds, had my eye on the harder to find (at least in my area) RS-62/IIs, and I saw these RB-61s. Guy is asking $200 and I might be able to talk him down a bit (never hurts to try). The room I want these in currently has original RF-7s & RC-7 for F,L,C and the couch is against the rear wall. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking with these RB-61s I could keep the couch against the rear wall and fire them toward the main listening position and they'd sound great. Should I go ahead and pick these up or continue to hunt for the RS-62/IIs? I know some prefer direct radiating speakers as rear back surrounds and some prefer bipole/dipoles but I've always been taught monos in the back and bi/dipoles on the sides. Thanks guys!

Edit: Just found some RB-81 II for $300, out of the 3 what would work the best?

here's the RB-61s if you wanna have a look

Edited by Woodbooger

I agree with teaman. I’ll just add that the RB81’s are pretty large speakers. If you have the room for them, they’re great. If you haven’t seen them in person check the specs.

I have 7 RF7II’s for surround and I’ve been playing with downsizing them. RS62’s are nice, but hard to find. The RS52’s pop up quite often and for good prices. They don’t give up much to the RS62, and they’ll hang nicely on a wall. Good luck with your system. I think you’ll be happy whichever you choose. 

• Like 2

I say get the RB-61s for $200.00 or for less and be content.  They are very fine speakers that punch way above their weight class.  With that said, still continue to hunt for a deal on your desired RS-62s and cross that road when you get there.  Then you could move the 61s somewhere else or sell them to help pay for the 62s.

Just noticed you found 81s for $300.00.  Also a good deal.

Bill

• Like 2

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it. Yeah I think I probably can't go wrong with either, but I think I'll grab the 81 IIs, I think the larger driver will balance better with the RF-7s. @W27 yeah I've seen them, they're damn near the half the size of a tower speaker lol. I've never directly compared them but I'd imagine they have a lot more punch than the RB-61s and for $100 (or less hopefully) more, can't go wrong. 

• Like 1