Heresy III Raw $800

finallygotmyheresies

• 2 months later...

Our 2 pairs of Heresy III "One Buttons" are on their way to Australia and should be here within a few days! I could not resist the bargain price of these. They come in raw, unfinished Ash book-matched veneer which is just perfect for me as want to finish them myself. They also don't have grills, badges or stands, but I've made countless grills and still have the patterns for the angled risers I made from Tasmanian Oak (similar to Ash) for  our Heresy 1.5s. The price paid per pair, including shipping, GST and import taxes was still less than a third of the retail price over here (AUD6000 or about USD4300), so I'm happy that the excise worked out OK and a few minor omissions are no concern.

More challenging is finding suitable speaker cloth over here. We're after cloth that will complement our soft furnishings. Best I can describe it is a beige or off white/cream so will likely have to import that as well. What I need to know from anyone who has changed their speaker cloth to a light colour, is what this will look like over the top of the black faced Heresy's? Does the black motorboard show through a light coloured grill cloth?

I've put new caps into our lightly restored 1985 model 1.5s (E2 x-over), so we are looking forward to comparing them side by side. We like our 1.5s very much. The intention is to put one pair into our main listening/living room and another in the media/TV room and possibly sell the other pair. One thing we both noticed is that the III's are not as pretty as the I's. The I's have the speakers fixed from the back of the motorboard so they have a much cleaner look. Why did Klipsch change this?!

fullsizeoutput_709.thumb.jpeg.bbe28c44a41a6140663ed209799fca3f.jpegfullsizeoutput_701.thumb.jpeg.54c8a9cbe796a578875a83a47446b306.jpegs-l1600.thumb.jpg.92006106a42f4f058069b1e9f6aa8ca6.jpgfullsizeoutput_70b.thumb.jpeg.5b8f2da09b59f6d69a6d2a4a87fc38ca.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

The first of our raw ash "One Buttons" has arrived safely, separated by the shipper to help defray some of the import costs. Notable differences between it and the 1.5s are the front mounted speakers, bi-wirable crossovers and gold speaker connections. Inside, the sides have a loose fitting foam damping whereas the 1.5 has none. As yet, we have not set them up for a serious comparison. Propped up on champagne corks for now! Has anyone removed the foam and what effect did this have?

IMG_3973.JPG

Edited by Oztayls
  • Like 2