Heresy III Raw $800

finallygotmyheresies

11 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Agreed.  👍

Congratulations on your purchase.  Do they smell of cilantro?

Cilantro? No, but they do have a lovely raw wood smell. I was planning on staining them, but they do complement our furnishings and decor quite nicely so I may just seal them with shellac after a light sand. The book matched raw ash veneer is quite stunning really. I've ordered some speaker cloth swatches so in the meantime I'll crack on with making the tilted risers and the grille frames. By the way, the grille frames from the 1.5s are a tad small and the cutouts don't quite match those of the III. I have some 6mm marine 5ply left over from a boatbuilding project which will be perfect for the frames. At this point, I'm thinking that a magnet fixing will be nice.

Ronco still has a few of these left. Personally, I think they are bargains if you a little handy and can make the grill covers and risers.

• Like 3

On 2/1/2019 at 7:23 PM, Oztayls said:

Cilantro? No, but they do have a lovely raw wood smell.

Do you plan to finish the raw wood?  I doubt if I would.  Enjoy your excellent new speakers.

The Cilantro was a joking reference to their Chipotle connection.  Do you have Chipotle Mexican restaurants Down Under?  Do you have many, or any, Mexican restaurants in Oz?

Chipotle uses a lot of cilantro.  My wife can't stand Cilantro, she thinks it tastes soapy.  I don't miind it.

On 1/21/2019 at 11:34 PM, Oztayls said:

The I's have the speakers fixed from the back of the motorboard so they have a much cleaner look. Why did Klipsch change this?!

Purists prefer the front mounted drivers and horns.  The argument is that the 3/4" deep cutouts in front of the horns and drivers comprimise performance.  The only time I ever met PWK, I asked why Klipsch -- at that time ~ 1974 -- did not front mount.  His reply, "Doesn't make a dime's worth of difference."

• Like 1

Just now, DizRotus said:

Do you plan to finish the raw wood?  I doubt if I would.  Enjoy your excellent new speakers.

The Cilantro was a joking reference to their Chipotle connection.  Do you have Chipotle Mexican restaurants Down Under?  Do you have mamny, or any, Mexican restaurants in Oz?

Chipotle uses a lot of cilantro.  My wife can't stand Cilantro, she thinks it tastes soapy.  I don't miind it

LOL, I was a bit slow on the uptake there! There are a few Mexican restaurants here in Oz, but not many, not like in California. No Chipotle thank goodness.My wife and I don't eat fast food of any description as we have been paleo for about 10 years. I looked up the Cilantro taste/aroma thing and it's genetic! https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cilantro-aversion-gene-study_n_1901124

A few coats of wiped-on blonde shellac is not really a finish as such. It just seals the wood so that dust and oil from hands don't discolour the wood over time. It also means that the surface can be wiped with a damp cloth, which you can't do (or rather, shouldn't do) if you leave it as bare wood. I like the natural wood look, so shellac is a good solution and I have the flakes on the shelf in my shed already as I used to restore old furniture. It's what we call a Claytons finish over here. The finish you have when you're not having a finish. This is the 80's ad that started the Claytons reference...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oztayls said:

LOL, I was a bit slow on the uptake there! There are a few Mexican restaurants here in Oz, but not many, not like in California. No Chipotle thank goodness.My wife and I don't eat fast food of any description as we have been paleo for about 10 years. I looked up the Cilantro taste/aroma thing and it's genetic! https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cilantro-aversion-gene-study_n_1901124

A few coats of wiped-on blonde shellac is not really a finish as such. It just seals the wood so that dust and oil from hands don't discolour the wood over time. It also means that the surface can be wiped with a damp cloth, which you can't do (or rather, shouldn't do) if you leave it as bare wood. I like the natural wood look, so shellac is a good solution and I have the flakes on the shelf in my shed already as I used to restore old furniture. It's what we call a Claytons finish over here. The finish you have when you're not having a finish. This is the 80's ad that started the Claytons reference...

I haven't seen Schweppes since I lived in Canada!

Gotta admire @Oztayls for opening up his brand new speakers.  The interior foam and front mounting are “improvements” the DIY crowd has been doing for decades. IIRC @ClaudeJ1 asked PWK why there is no foam inside original Heresys, to which PWK replied that he wanted “pure capacitance,” whatever that means.

The top photo shows one of my DIY Super Heresys, made with mostly Klipsch components in scratch-built 3/4” Baltic birch boxes.  The horns are front mounted, but the woofers (Eminence Delta Pro) are rear mounted, but the front edges of the openings were radiused with a router.

The second photo below shows my son’s H1s that, at his request, were given a faux-pro look with Duratex finish and handles.  They also have SpeakOn connectors and eggcrate foam glued to the insides.  The horns and woofers  are still rear mounted. The woofers are now protected by black metal grilles.

The third photo shows an H2 with the factory “loose foam” visible.  The cabinets were a mess due to the eBay seller’s decision to ship both speakers in a single box with foam peanuts.  Fortunately,  @The History Kid, the member I sold them to, only wanted the components for a vintage console he was restoring for his mother.

The fourth photo shows an HIP I’m refurbishing.  It has rear mounted components.  I haven’t yet decided how they will ultimately be attached, but I do know interior foam will be added.

1663340764_20181223_192451(Medium).thumb.jpg.a95f74fa5bf38e18615179726b6da9cb.jpg

D412A544-46E2-45C0-9EA8-539D179F1942.jpeg.b25925116b0aa54c8212c95e2bde6af8.jpegE7A65FC7-2D0E-4219-BBFF-4EB55D2310BD.thumb.jpeg.64006a4baaa63eb8073023bdfa3d5c95.jpeg1678603306_20180520_103504(Medium).thumb.jpg.1b9587751abf84e41d9bf9f513bb6dca.jpg

• Like 1

faux-pro.jpeg.4f6cb206f1ce212e6c36594672045c14.jpeg5aa78f8b5f758_peanuts3.thumb.jpg.5cba1c38e4c05769fe347b4d5cda0503.jpgF6097CCE-B631-49C0-8199-639200952CF3.thumb.jpeg.deb77c4c47f7c3e8ec43aa81df53f3c8.jpeg

1 hour ago, silversport said:

did you make those wedge risers too...nice job all around

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the compliment.  No, I did not make the wedge risers.  A place near me, Foam 'N' More, made them.  They sell foam in all varieties, thicknesses and colors.  The risers are made from dense closed cell foam.  They start as a single rectangle slightly larger than the base of the speaker and about 4" thick. Then F 'N' M cuts each rectangle into two pieces on an angle making each wedge 3" at the front and 1" at the rear.

The top attached photo shows on edge a wedge in an Edge (always grabbed Dr. Seuss when the bookmobile rolled up).  They’re handy to use like this to transport speakers.  My son's faux-pro Heresys, shown in an above post, are now sporting metal grilles and Klipsch pro badges generously provided by another member of this great forum.

The middle photo shows the abysmal packing job the seller of The History Kid's @The History Kid H2s did.  Both speakers in that one box were surrounded by nothing more than foam peanuts.  Drivers and horns were loose and mounting holes were stripped.  The toothpick and glue trick was needed for every screw hole.

The bottom photo shows the repaired H2s on some wedges before I sent them to The History Kid.

I get eggcrate foam to line cabinets and thin closed cell foam to cut  gaskets to attach horns from F 'N' M also.

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

ClaudeJ1 asked PWK why there is no foam inside original Heresys, to which PWK replied that he wanted “pure capacitance,” whatever that means

Yes he did tell me that in early August, 1985, about 4 years before he sold the company to Fred.

When you add foam, it's a resistive component that absorbs the midrange frequencies bouncing around the box, which also makes the box seem a bit larger, acoustically with respect to the woofer parameter interaction. I was once told by a dealer that efficiency decreased and Modulation Distortion is slightly higher, a trade-off that PWK, apparently, was unwilling to make.

In the case of the Super Heresy, it's a better, more "affordable," trade-off, since that woofer is 3-4 db more efficient. Also the port would let out more midrange frequencies with the out of phase rear of the cabinet. Y'all are welcome to make a Super Heresy without the foam inside. I think it would make a less neutral presentation of sound, but it might could create a certain ambience effect that would become part of the acoustic space. You then would have to live with the consequences or benefits. All up to you.

• Thanks 1

I want Heresy IIIs default_sad.png I’ve got to sell off my Chorus II and KHorns but I was looking at HIIIs to keep my itch satisfied. Still. Probably can’t do 1k so I’d have to settle for used HIIs. Do they still do the II to III upgrade package?

Maybe I can trade my single Forte III for a pair of heresy IIs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

I want Heresy IIIs default_sad.png I’ve got to sell off my Chorus II and KHorns but I was looking at HIIIs to keep my itch satisfied. Still. Probably can’t do 1k so I’d have to settle for used HIIs. Do they still do the II to III upgrade package?

Maybe I can trade my single Forte III for a pair of heresy IIs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must be joking.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Oh yeah. My single forte III arrived with split open cabinet and broken riser and dents etc. I repaired it myself but it’s still obvious there was damage that’s why I couldn’t get proper value for it

Were you made whole by the shipper and/or seller?

As your reply implies, one can draw two inferences from Claude’s “joking” comment.  Did he feel that no one with H2s would feel a single Forte III is a fair trade?  Or, did he feel that no one with a single Forte III would feel that a pair of H2s were sufficient in trade?  If the latter, you certainly explain why you would make such a trade.