Looking for feedback on the Denon X6500

roaddog359

I am back!  Thanks to one of my old friends Youthman.   I just upgraded my tv to the samsung  85" 4K.  So now I am also thinking of upgrading my Denon 4311ci to the Denon X6500.  Just wondering what the community thinks and if anyone has any real experience with this receiver?

• Like 2

• Moderators
12 hours ago, roaddog359 said:

Thanks to one of my old friends Youthman.

Who are you callin' old?  LOL

I haven't heard the 6500 but reviewed the 6400 and it's a solid unit for sure.  It was able to power my 7.2.4 Klipsch system with no problem at Reference Levels.  I really like the setup and Audyssey implementation.  I ended up choosing to upgrade to the Marantz SR8012 but would have likely been just as happy with the Denon 6400.  The ONLY thing is that it gets ridiculously hot so you might want to consider buying a fan for it. 

• Like 3

Yes, it will run cooler, the more strain you take off the internal amps.

I would highly recommend picking one or two of these up, if you are worried about heat like me:

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-Front-Exhaust-Receivers-Components/dp/B078PQJSRY/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542515984&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ac+infinity+fan&dpPl=1&dpID=31-UUqu8CwL&ref=plSrch

I love mine! 

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, roaddog359 said:

I wonder if it will run cooler if I power my speakers with emotive amps?

Nope.  First time I noticed it ran hot was after I first hooked it up, I turned the unit on (without anything playing through the speakers) and went into the other room for maybe 20-30 min.  When I came back, I happened to feel the top and it literally was almost too hot to touch.  I did run the Parasound A52+ with it for awhile and it still got crazy hot. 

As K5SS suggested, the AC Infinity Fans are the way to go.  I still need to buy one for my Marantz.

24 minutes ago, roaddog359 said:

What made you choose the Marantz over the denon?

At the time, I was reviewing the Denon 6400 ($2200), Marantz SR8012 ($3000) and the Anthem MRX1120 ($3500).  I decided on the Marantz due to it having the large toroidal transformer and supposably Marantz uses higher quality parts so I was thinking longevity might be better with the Marantz.  I tend to buy not the cheapest but not the most expensive but somewhere in the middle with just about every purchase.  As far as sound quality, I can't say I heard a difference between the Denon and the Marantz.  Lastly, I just think the Marantz looks sweet!  LOL. 

27 minutes ago, roaddog359 said:

Also you think the RF-7III is a noticable upgrade over my RF-83's ?

I owned the RF-83 for many years.  They are fantastic speakers with a lot of slam but are VERY laid back compared to most other Klipsch speakers. I sold them after buying my LaScalas as they were no comparison in detail, midrange and higher frequencies.  The RF83 killed the LaScalas it in the slam factor though.  My ears prefer the RF7 II and RF7 III over the RF83 due to the added detail and the larger tweeter.

Michael

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 11:30 PM, roaddog359 said:

I wonder if it will run cooler if I power my speakers with emotive amps? 

It will run cooler but remember a good bit of the heat is generated from the CPU so a fan may still be in order if in an enclosed space.  Just give it plenty of breathing room and you should not have problems.

Bill

Ok, can I move my rf-83's to my rear channel and get rf-7III and rc-64III up front or will there be an issue with timbre match?

I think I got the upgrade bug back! Thanks to youthman and his videos.

I also would love to upgrade my svs PB 13 ultras to the new PB 16 ultras. But I dont know what I would do with 5 svs subs and RF 63 speakers?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, roaddog359 said:

What made you choose the Marantz over the denon?  Also you think the RF-7III is a noticeable upgrade over my RF-83's.

I also have the RF-83's.  They use a 1.25" CD, the RF-7 III has a 1.75" CD.  Michael has owned/listened to both and he might give you a better first-hand opinion of the difference in the sound.

Ok, can I move my rf-83's to my rear channel and get rf-7III and rc-64III up front or will there be an issue with timbre match?

No problem at all with timbre matching.  Rear surrounds almost always duplicate the side surround channel and as such don't share any content with the L/C/R speakers.

Here is a nice compliment to the  @Youthman Youtube vid on the Marantz 8012.  The Audioholics vid discusses technical differences between it and the Denon 6400.  The Marantz is better from a technical viewpoint, but it is also more expensive. 

Ok, I got a question I am confused on. If I run a 7.2 system now and upgrade my receiver to the x6500 can i also add in 2 channels for height or 2 atmos speakers? Where all the speakers will be used at the same time so all 9 speakers are playing? Also if I can add 2 more speakers can I use the receiver just too power those 2 speakers and the original 7 are powered by my emotiva amps?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...