Best Childhood Memories

oldtimer

One of mine is called "same thing on set."  In an elementary school football game the clock was running out on us, so the coach sent me in with the play (running back shuffle).  Same thing he said.  I said well what is it?  Same Thing, Hurry!  So I go in and tell our QB, not exactly knowing what the play was, and the QB in the huddle quickly saying---"same thing on set, same thing on set."  The play ran, I believe unsuccessfully.  We (the players involved) laughed for years after about that.

• Like 1

Trekking through the woods and along the railroad tracks/trestle like in "Stand By Me". 

Building forts, playing army/war in the pine forests of Georgia. 

Riding "mountain bikes" along the power lines before they were called mountain bikes(late 70's, early 80's). 

Pickup football and baseball games. 

"Rafting" down the creek(storm runoff).

Not a real care in the world or fear.

Bill

• Like 5

I had hand-me-down everything growing up, from clothes to bicycles.  With 4 siblings, a "homemaker" Mom, and only my Dad working, that was the norm.  I never needed anything and had a great childhood, but I wanted lots of things.

We had a Western Auto store (remember those?) in my home town and their bicycle display had about 3 bikes.  The same three bikes for YEARS.  Whenever my Dad and I went there, I would eye up one of those bikes.  I wanted it badly.

One day my Dad and I went there and I went right over to the bike.  He came walking over and said, "You think you could ride that all the way home?"

"Huh?"

"Do you think you could ride that bike all the way home?"

"Yes."

"Well, get on it and go."

"What?"

"Get on the bike and ride it home.  I'll be along in a bit."

I searched his eyes to see if he was serious and he was.  I was grinning from ear to ear as I walked that bike out of that store.  Didn't even stop at the register.  The lady behind it smiled back at me.  I got on it and rode it home.  We lived on a really low traffic road, and I passed a tractor on the way, but no other vehicles for the 1.5 mile distance.  I looked behind me and there was Dad in his truck, keeping pace.  

That day was the best.  I rode the heck out of that bicycle for years.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I grew up 1 of 6, only my mom there and she had her problems, The best thing I can Recall is in High school I had an English teacher that hated me. 1 day copying from the board in the middle of a sentence the teacher decided I needed to move. While still writing I stuck my finger up as to say just a second. Immediately she blew up and screamed at me you have 2 days of detention.  I flared up looked her dead in the face threw my books and all across the room and told her to shove it. on my way out of the room she screamed go to the principles office. I replied thats where I am going.  Before seeing the VP Mr. Wilson I called my Mother Explained the whole story to her. She headed straight down to the school.  We went in to see Mr. Wilson I explained the situation to him. He called the teacher to the office, when the teacher entered the office her face turned several colors of red, then her whole demeanor changed. 

Needless to say there was no detention and the Teacher copped a whole new attitude for the rest of the year

Best Memory, My mother would do as she pleased with her children (Stuff today that would have her jailed)  But no one else better mistreat her kids, She could get that West Virginia dander up in a hurry, and things were not pretty when she did............ 

I've probably got some early form of Alzheimer's... but I just can't remember.

I'd have to say, just in general terms, probably one of the fondest memories (or feelings) I can still recall from that time, would be the feeling of falling in love... or at least having an intense crush.

• Moderators

I have many but one of the best was driving to Mexico and up through California, for 3 weeks. This was back when there were no seatbelts, my sister and I would take turns laying in the back window of a 65 Impala. My mother went to China Town to get takeout, it was my first Chinese food, dad thought she was trying to kill him, great trip.  

The only bad part  was if we stopped to eat and my dad could see the bottom of the coffee cup the coffee was so weak, we all knew what would happen next, poor waitress.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, dtel said:

I have many but one of the best was driving to Mexico and up through California, for 3 weeks. This was back when there were no seatbelts, my sister and I would take turns laying in the back window of a 65 Impala. My mother went to China Town to get takeout, it was my first Chinese food, dad thought she was trying to kill him, great trip.  

The only bad part  was if we stopped to eat and my dad could see the bottom of the coffee cup the coffee was so weak, we all knew what would happen next, poor waitress.

I like your dads thinking :) 

• Haha 1