Best Childhood Memories

oldtimer

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Summer breaks from school lasted forever, and Christmas took that long to come around again.

And summer vacation was a great time for unprogrammed activities, reading, contemplation, and a time for things to deeply jell, unlike the crowded, achievement oriented school year.   That's what people who want year round schooling miss. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

Oh what a night. I was 16 and she was 19. Yeah, first time for that and I can remember it like it was yesterday.

Okay, that beats my riding bicycles and electric trains ( I still like both). And for me: younger than 15 and she was in college....and I still play with those like a kid with a model train set. 

• Haha 1

We had a dachshund from the time I was four years old until my sophomore year in college.  Like most hounds he liked to hang out and sleep while the family watched tv.  His name was Bismark, and back then there was a laundry detergent named Biz.  That commercial always got his attention, because why would the tv call him, when it never offered food?

Anyway, one time he was asleep and this was a pretty good sized living room, and he let out a seriously room clearing fart.  He practically beat us out of the room, it was so bad.  We still laugh about that one.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Bigdnfay1 said:

Teaching myself to ride a bike or maybe every Sunday evening my mom would drag me kicking and screaming to the couch where she would clean my ears and trim my nails for the week.

I remember seeing a movie in anthropology class in which Margaret Mead presented American culture the way she would present native cultures.  She showed a mother cleaning a child's ears with Q tips, and commented something like, "This ritual is thought to be medicinal."

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 1:42 PM, oldtimer said:

Then there was the time my sister took a cattle prod to my step-brother....

My nephew thought it would be a good idea to use his cattle prod to stop his unruly dog from pee'ing in his home; Unfortunately, when he shocked the dog,  it took off spaying shit all over his new home. I never laughed so hard in my life.

• Haha 2