HULU Anyone?

Wolfbane

42 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I wish I would have kept the antenna that was in the attic of the house we sold back in March 2018 and used it at our new house.  I unfortunately got satellite installed back in late May as there was no other option at the time.  Well, now that I've got internet by using 4G LTE with a Nighthawk MR1100 and getting speeds anywhere from 40 to 80mb down, I could be a cord cutter again.  But now I'll have to pay the cancellation fees to get out of Dish Network.  But, it's only $63 a month for the basic package, a Hopper 3, and 2 Joeys.  No one really watches a major amount of TV anyway.  I have trees in the way more so where I live now where I didn't before but would still like to see if an antenna mounted on the satellite pole, like I did for the longest before, would actually pull the locals in from Little Rock.  Heck, I could do without all the other channels.  We made it just fine for 3 years with all the locals and used Sling for $20 a month and added ESPN when needed.

I just put a small antenna on a satellite pipe mounted on the roof of my sister in laws house. It works well. You cannot put a very large antenna on them but this little winegard is the best bang for the buck.  If your stations are within 35 miles or so in a decent location.  It is UHF/VHF. RCA has the same antenna at walmart for 39 dollars

https://winegard.com/products/hdtv-digital-antennas/vhf-uhf-antennas/classic-series-yagi/classic-series-yagi-ya-7000c

https://www.rcaantennas.net/outdoor/?sku=ANT752Z

12 minutes ago, mr clean said:

I just put a small antenna on a satellite pipe mounted on the roof of my sister in laws house. It works well. You cannot put a very large antenna on them but this little winegard is the best bang for the buck.  If your stations are within 35 miles or so in a decent location.  It is UHF/VHF.

https://winegard.com/products/hdtv-digital-antennas/vhf-uhf-antennas/classic-series-yagi/classic-series-yagi-ya-7000c

Unfortunately, I'm right at 55 miles away but that's about the same distance as before and I picked up all of the Little Rock channels.  But now, there's some trees behind me where I would need to point towards.  I'm almost tempted to buy one just to tinker with in case I decide to pay the dang $400 cancellation fee.  Sigh...

Not to mention, we get that WatchTV stuff free through AT&T since we're on the Unlimited & More cell plan.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Unfortunately, I'm right at 55 miles away but that's about the same distance as before and I picked up all of the Little Rock channels.  But now, there's some trees behind me where I would need to point towards.  I'm almost tempted to buy one just to tinker with in case I decide to pay the dang $400 cancellation fee.  Sigh...

Not to mention, we get that WatchTV stuff free through AT&T since we're on the Unlimited & More cell plan.  

It may work but every location is different. It will work or it won't 😎!  I made a mast out of 20 ft of oil field pipe painted with Chrome aluminum mastic paint. Looks nice and will hold a huge antenna. Im up high for my area so I didn't need anything real tall. You could go with a bigger antenna and still not spend a ton of money. doing something like this. I think it looks good but im in the sticks with no one to tell me what to do in my yard. Don't buy from winegard. You can find them cheaper on other sites. A booster may help with long runs of coax.  

I have no use for TV anymore. You are still stuck with commercials and a ton of crap programming choices. It's all terrible.

Of the three I tried, I liked YouTube TV the best.

FuboTV is popular in this area with people who like sports. 

Meanwhile, I just do Amazon Prime Video with HBO, Netflix (mostly for the kids), CBS All Access (gives me local CBS station live, plus tons of decent content), and YouTube Premium Family -- we all do a lot of YouTube in our house.

I like the Yahoo Sports app, which doesn't cost anything -- which gives me Sunday and Monday Night Football for free.

Firestick and Chromcast is a must.

Our Directv bill used to be over $200.00 a month. Never going back to that nonsense.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2019 at 10:59 AM, avguytx said:

Have you tried one?

On 12/1/2019 at 10:49 AM, mr clean said:

Have you tried one?

Not yet.  I would still have to buy an antenna and then there's the $20 per month to pay to get out of the contract...which I hate having to do.  I'm doubtful of how well it will pick up in the attic since I have radiant barrier on the back side of the roof.

21 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Not yet.  I would still have to buy an antenna and then there's the $20 per month to pay to get out of the contract...which I hate having to do.  I'm doubtful of how well it will pick up in the attic since I have radiant barrier on the back side of the roof.

I would think it would have to be outside with any antenna at that distance. Contracts suck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hulu lost us yesterday! Their service went out, other apps on the Roku would work. Logged in on the PC and there was no support available at all. Tried several ways and methods only to reach FAQs with stupid answers to stupid questions, nothing specific or addressing their product ceasing to work. Duck-duck-go'd their phone number and got through but it routed me to get hung up on three times. Hurricanes had a big game in Denver last night and I wasn't missing it. YouTube to the rescue! Besides not being able to delete old recordings I love it. All scoring in the game was from minute 56 - 60. Those Kale flavored candy canes backfired on the Avalanche! My bank is taking it up with them, their not allowing any customer service is why they will get a pro-rated refund for me on this.