K-510 / K-691's ... horrible sound ... SOLVED

Emile

It's been said that this is a 'plug & play' solution.....  you plugged it in and now get to play around trying to figure it out.

:emotion-14:

I was wondering if perhaps you pulled my typical stunt (not even sure I know enough about it to properly describe it)

Intuitively, it seems to me that a "High pass" should go on the tweeter and "Low pass" should go on woofer when it's the other way around.  I've done that more than I care to admit and it will give you weird sound.  I have to remind myself of what it means whenever I tinker with it so I don't screw it up.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Coytee said:

Intuitively, it seems to me that a "High pass" should go on the tweeter and "Low pass" should go on woofer when it's the other way around.  I've done that more than I care to admit and it will give you weird sound.  I have to remind myself of what it means whenever I tinker with it so I don't screw it up.

Haha ... will try :D And hope don't blow my 510 :( 

• Haha 1

OK; did not try Chris' filters yet ... had to pick up some people from Tampa Airport and take them 1-1/2 hours South ... Jeez; took 5 hours :(  But ... probably main reason I did not try them yet is that I am not confident they will work in which case I will sell these. (Think it requires a good DSP like a Xilica, or ?) 

Haha; anyone interested in an (almost) new set of 510/691's ??

Cheers, Emile

5 hours ago, babadono said:

Huh?

Proof positive that I get it all screwed up.  It's been so long since I've done it I might have called it right this time!

When I first got my active, I had them backwards for whatever reason...  

• Haha 1

Emile these have a superb reputation so there is something missing. Have you thought about trying to find a KPT-904 crossover and just going that route?  It could eliminate a lot of variables and give you a basic idea of what it should sound like. You can always dial it in more later with the other stuff once you know the basic components are good.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

Have you thought about trying to find a KPT-904 crossover

Haha ... yes; have a set of KPT-904's ... was so impressed with the horns resulting in another pair :) :( Last resort is to swap the 501's, to see ...

Tried Chris' settings. Yes, balances the sound, i.e. smoother, but still "horrible."  Let me try another analogy ... if these would be woofers, it sounds like the cone is completely ripped/separated from the main body :(  Next I will try to hook one up to my KPT-904's and see if I still have the same problem.

Many, many thanks to all :D  

• Like 1

OK; hooked ONE up to my KPT-904's.  The "ripped woofer" effect is gone :) ; sound is drastically improved.  But ... strangely the "new 510" seems to play at a lower volume than my "old 510."  New one has the K-691 driver which supposedly is a B&C DE75 ... old driver is a B&C DE75 also.  Tried measuring it with a sound level meter but could not really "see" the difference (even though my "old" one has a grille which should drop it down at least 3dB's).  To my ears the "new one" plays at a much lesser volume ... just cannot guess at the dB's :( 

Many, many thanks, Emile

PS; getting my Umik mike out ... haha, just don't remember how to use it ... plus may not have enough time as we have to get ready for Thanksgiving :( 

PS2; took the grille of my "old" horn ... turned it to mono (yeah; dumb me) ... not sure anymore if there is a difference ... could have been the recording I was trying before :( 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emile said:

Haha ... yes; have a set of KPT-904's ... was so impressed with the horns resulting in another pair :) :( Last resort is to swap the 501's, to see ...

I thought so and it is an easy way to test with known good components. Have you checked the driver itself with a sweep generator and ohms? Switched one "bad" driver (just the driver and not the horn) to the good 904 to see what happens?  If you have a driver problem all the good advice you are getting still won't fix that.

• Thanks 1

So I'd guess that you have a miniDSP 2x4 issue.  I recommend turning the input gain down from the preamp, and turning the power amplifier gain up (if you haven't already tried it). I've been told by others that the old 2x4 miniDSPs have very little gain latitude, and it may be that you're driving to the 2x4 into clipping.  Apparently, the newer "2x4 HD" version has solved that issue by providing much greater total gain capability than the 2x4 version.  It could also be just the opposite issue if you're hearing noise background--your gains through the 2x4 may be too low in that case.

I'd also check all of your connections, particularly the RCA (analog) ones, since those are ares where common mode noise can creep in (power line noise). 

The effect of hearing a lower SPL out the K-510 assembly (assuming you have pretty sensitive taste in timbre) could be as simple as the K-510/K-693 that you're playing with is not mounted in a baffle, so you're losing a dB or two of nearfield re-radiation from the absence of the baffle's proximity to the horn's mouth.

Chris

• Thanks 1

• Emile changed the title to K-510 / K-691's ... horrible sound ... SOLVED