K-510 / K-691's ... horrible sound ... SOLVED

Emile

11 minutes ago, Chris A said:

So I'd guess that you have a miniDSP 2x4 issue.  I recommend turning the input gain down from the preamp, and turning the power amplifier gain up

I'd also check all of your connections, particularly the RCA

Chris; great thanks again.  Never thought about possible clipping ... but that may just be the "ripped woofer" sound I am hearing :)  Trying it shortly. Thanks!

Connections have been double checked ... and switched to "better" RCA cables after my initial tests.

could be as simple as the K-510/K-693 that you're playing with is not mounted in a baffle, so you're losing a dB or two

You DA MAN. :D Yes; "old" one is on a baffle in an approx 11x19x9" box, so that explains that one :) 

Add-on ... and yes, I'm an idiot ... balance knob was off also :( 

• Haha 1

@Chris A ... Dear Professor,  THANK YOU DOCTOR :D  Yes; "clipping."  (Turned the pre-amp gain down and the sound is crystal clear.  Stupid ... but guess I had never really heard "clipping.: :(  Maybe I'll cut out the pre-amp and just go "straight" ???

So; do you suggest getting the "better" miniDSP (the HD version) or ??  Haha, know you are partial to the Xilica's, but was just playing with this and not ready to spend those kind of $$ for this :(  (Plus, lost about 200 of these Xilica's in the market during the last few weeks :( )

Thanks again, Emile

36 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I thought so and it is an easy way to test with known good components. Have you checked the driver itself with a sweep generator and ohms? Switched one "bad" driver (just the driver and not the horn) to the good 904 to see what happens?  If you have a driver problem all the good advice you are getting still won't fix that.

Dave, THANKS!  Yes, swapped "one" and it was "good." Chris diagnosed my problem as miniDSP clipping :) 

Thanks, Emile

I'd only recommend a miniDSP upgrade if you are still dissatisfied after you dial it in a bit more.  The lack of gain latitude is apparently the issue with the 2x4, that, and the tendency of the unit to be a bit sensitive to power supply noise issues.  Many people on the diyAudio forum find the2x4's to be useful. 

I haven't heard any issues with the 2x4 HDs--they seem to have everything nailed down pretty well

Chris

• Thanks 1

Glad to hear you're getting this nailed down. Gain structure and adjustments can be tricky, especially without an oscilloscope. I did not know the mini dsp was so finicky.

My "how much?" post earlier was in jest, I knew between Chris and you you would get it dialed in. Some people are too serious:) Perhaps I'll go back and edit my post with a smiley face.

• Haha 2

• Emile changed the title to K-510 / K-691's ... horrible sound ... SOLVED

The settings that I posted were for the K-691 driver on a K-402 horn, simplified to yield four PEQs. 

All controlled directivity horns/compression drivers need EQ in mid-band, like is shown above.  IOW: check your KPT-396s with and without crossovers.  You might be surprised by what you find (i.e., passive attenuating--usually notch--filters are in there somewhere).

Chris

• Like 1

If you ever have your KPT-396s open and can read the values on the discrete components and how the components are hooked together, you can reverse engineer what Roy, et al., did using a freeware tool called Xsim to show you the frequency response/phase/input impedance of what's going on, and you can connect-disconnect each component to understand what it's doing. 

No real hand filter calculations are required--all thanks to Bill Waslo (a.k.a., Liberty Instruments), a great guy that sometimes visits here.  You can find him over at diyAudio under the name bwaslo,

Chris

• Like 1