K-510 / K-691's ... horrible sound ... SOLVED

Emile

Ok @Emileyou've done it AHHHGAIN...  The last couple weeks of my life have be h3ll, so yea I've been sitting here laffin my butt off reading this thread.  Had to put my 94 year old mother in assisted living and found out she has "sundown syndrome," a form of dementia.  Youngest daughter wanted my Heresy's and a receiver for her apartment in Phoenix as her "first" real system.  THAT wasn't happening!  Don't need to ship speakers there w/the holiday onslaught of junk hitting FedEx AND she'd just shred them anyway sooooo plan B...  A nice lil pair of EV S40 monitors I had laying around w/a new Yamaha 100w amp @ $50 off from Crutchfield.  Perfect!  Merry Xmas!!!  That's in addition to the normal wallet raping she's sooooo good at.  Especially when I hear the "please Daddy."

Never a doubt these guys would have the answers to the problem!  Just funny watching how you "cut to the chase" and applied it all to your problemo.  Too funny!  BTW, when that market really takes a dump lemme know so I can be first in line for your SALE prices.  I'm sure she'll be ready for an upgrade soon!  😂 😂 :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

OK; problem was solved ... but have another question ... thought I would try it here before starting a new thread :) 

The 510/691 combination is fabulous ... but, am trying a set with Forte I's.  The Forte's just seem to be "insufficient / tiny" when compared with my KPT-904 with the large dual bass bins. Thought of replacing the Forte's with a bass bin with maybe a single Pro Eminence Kappa Pro-15LF-2 15" ( https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-kappa-pro-15lf-2-15-cast-frame-driver--290-420 ).  Seems the "Pro" speakers just have a bit more oomph.  Any thoughts ??

Thanks, Emile

Add-on ... this setup is in my "small" stereo room, so I'm looking for a "small" bass bin probably similar volume as the Forte's.  Still playing with crossover frequencies, so hopefully it will get better :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emile said:

OK; problem was solved ... but have another question ... thought I would try it here before starting a new thread :) 

The 510/691 combination is fabulous ... but, am trying a set with Forte I's.  The Forte's just seem to be "insufficient / tiny" when compared with my KPT-904 with the large dual bass bins. Thought of replacing the Forte's with a bass bin with maybe a single Pro Eminence Kappa Pro-15LF-2 15" ( https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-kappa-pro-15lf-2-15-cast-frame-driver--290-420 ).  Seems the "Pro" speakers just have a bit more oomph.  Any thoughts ??

Thanks, Emile

Add-on ... this setup is in my "small" stereo room, so I'm looking for a "small" bass bin probably similar volume as the Forte's.  Still playing with crossover frequencies, so hopefully it will get better :D 

Emile you do know you don't take the family sedan to the drag strip and expect it to compete with your funny car don't you?

• Haha 1

OK; set the 510 horn crossover to 500Hz and the Forte's to < 800 Hz ... very nice ... Forte's sound a lot "fuller."  Trying Beethoven's Fifth to make sure :)  Still wondering about a "small" bass bin. :)  Any suggestions?

Thanks, Emile

Turn the gain down on the K-510/K-691 channel, then listen for a better balance, then turn it down some more, and repeat.

Next, try placing them much closer to the room corners.  Each time, you'll have to adjust the bass channel gain to rebalance it with the K-510/K-691 channels, and perhaps add parametric EQ filters (PEQs) to re-EQ the bass.  You should pick up almost 12 dB of low bass and extend the bass response by at least 1/2 octave when they're in room corners vs. mid-wall or even out on the floor somewhere.

Chris

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Turn the gain down on the K-510/K-691 channel, then listen for a better balance, then turn it down some more, and repeat.

Next, try placing them much closer to the room corners.  Each time, you'll have to adjust the bass channel gain to rebalance it with the K-510/K-691 channels, and perhaps add parametric EQ filters (PEQs) to re-EQ the bass.  You should pick up almost 12 dB of low bass and extend the bass response by at least 1/2 octave when they're in room corners vs. mid-wall or even out on the floor somewhere.

Chris

Thank you again SIR :D  Haha ... I am soo much a "beginner."  Kept on turning the horns louder and louder ... sounded good to my ears :D  but will (of course) follow your suggestions. Thank you SIR :) 

Cheers, Emile

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 5:19 PM, Chris A said:

Yes, need to have the gain adjusted properly for the speaker system to sound good. Or you could just build a new bigger bass bin!!! 😄

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK; thanks to @Chris A and many others, we solved the "first" problem :D  Damn miniDSP was clipping :( Have to turn pre-amp down to 1/2 volume :(  Not sure if a miniDSP "HD" would solve this ... anyone?

System sounds "pretty" good, but certainly not even close to my KPT-904's.  Much smaller room, so I thought I should be able to get "close."  OK; ran REW (turned off Chris' EQ, horns set at >550, LR/48 slope, Forte's at <800, same slope). Ran REW on it ... (hope I got the LF/HF amps "close," but really no clue) ... and here's the result I got (w/ 1/12 smoothing).  Haha ... good/medium/bad???  Would love to hear your comments.

Many thanks, Emile 

510_Fortes.jpg

For those of you thinking about doing the same thing, here are the PEQ corrections used in the first iteration of measurements:

2058093372_K-510-K-691withFortebassbinminiDSP2x4.thumb.JPG.2c709ffa2d497e9a822e25abf13713fe.JPG

and the miniDSP 2x4 bi-quad filter import file: K-510 K-691 Forte bass bin PEQ biquad values.txt

For other rooms and loudspeaker placements, you can expect the PEQs below 200 Hz to change pretty dramatically, but the higher frequency settings are pretty much transferable from room-to-room in my experience.

Chris

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chris A said:

here are the PEQ corrections used in the first iteration of measurements

Chris,

AWESOME! Thank you VERY much :D  Tried to do some if this with the REW software, but don't even get close :(  What software are you using?

BTW ... "working" on the data WITH these EQ settings ... haha; keep on getting interrupted with lightning and heavy rain ... 6 inches so far :(  Hope to get the file to you later today.

Thank you SIR!

Cheers, Emile