Finally A Replacement for the Superior Crate For Record Storage

thebes

23 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Thebes, since you are in the DC area with lots of great wine shops, hit them up for the wooden boxes that some of the better French and American wineries ship their magnums (1.5L) in.  Functional and classy.

Some drawbacks.  They are not high enough, no handles, not stackable (which prevents women with large chests from using them), they are not nearly as sturdy as they used to be, and gack!, they charge you for them.

Now here's one I use for my classical collection, some Latin records and my vinyl test records.  A  loose tea chest from China. Tin-lined and useful for flipping. Kinda cool looking too and I presume, still easily obtainable. And you can sing the Leonard Cohen line "all the tea in China".

20181219_180114_resized_1.jpg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, thebes said:

Some drawbacks.  They are not high enough, no handles, not stackable (which prevents women with large chests from using them), they are not nearly as sturdy as they used to be, and gack!, they charge you for them.

Certainly we have different priorities on this.  I like that they aren't too high because I don't stack them anyway.  Once I fill them, I try not to move them, so handles are not a big deal.  You're right, they aren't as sturdy as in the past, and if your shop is charging you for them, you aren't buying enough of their wine.....Now, regarding the largely endowed ladies, well, that's another situation altogether.....

On 12/18/2018 at 7:12 PM, billybob said:

Dang, may have to just use a filing cabinet for my growing selection. Plenty to be had as nobody uses these old school cabs for office duty anymore. Of course, Beatles and Manilow not on my top shelf...

Be sure to anchor the filing cabinet to the floor. Those things like to tip over with just paper in the top drawer. I can only imagine the catastrophe awaiting when it's full of vinyl. 

I'll admit I have some Beatles albums in my collection but Barry Manilow? Is that a thing? :)

• Haha 1

• 4 years later...
On 11/18/2018 at 4:48 PM, thebes said:

I do believe that with shipping a four pack cost me just around $60.  You could use the various colors for categories, like Black for Punk, Red for rock and roll, yellow for country, a waste paper basket for the Beatles, green for groovy....

Beatles in the waste basket ??  🙄🙄

John and Yoko were my nieghbors in the 1970s

Meridale NY 

Straaaaange people. 🙄

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a wooden LP crate at one of the local new and used music shops.  It's the ideal size, about 13"x13"/33cmx33cm.  However, it's made of "recovered"/scrap wood, so there are a few knotholes.  It's stained a nice dark tone, and makes an ideal stand for my right subwoofer, as well as holding the LPs in heavy rotation (about 50 or so).  At $70CAD, it was a bit pricy for what it is, but it's the perfect size and looks better than the plastic milk crates that I used to use.

My LPs reside in a book case made by a friend (given to my wife and I), out of solid cherry. It's pretty stout. I don't have too .any LPs. We had over 300 at one point but tossed them into a dumpster during a bout of religious fanaticism.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 10/27/2023 at 6:50 PM, Marvel said:

Thebes just hates the Beatles... I never liked John, but I think Sir Paul is one of he most prolific writers of this century. I like a LOT of his music.

They were never as good separately as they were together as a group. John has always been my fave.  If John had lived longer there is no telling what would have happened I'm sure we would have had another album or two but they went out on top.. Go read the book The Beatles Sessions. It is an eye opener on how much they collaborated which was a lot. It also shows the influence of Martin and the EMI engineers. Together they were unstoppable and built a catalogue of work unequaled in such a short amount of time.