How you cooking your bird for Thanksgiving

joessportster

I always dry them out and mean every time. Gave up years ago to let someone else do it and I will say 75% of the time I eat Turkey its too dang dry, but maybe its just me.  

I like bringing things to the dinners that are off the wall and sometimes they're a welcome edition to the same old ho-hum, but possibly a joke or insult to some.

I like fixing a sea critter dressing with Oysters, Bay scallops and Gulf shrimp. I also do a basic Crock pot with a Pork tender in the bottom with a can of Coke and lots of starch, Fungus and Veggies. I stack it so high the lid is about 3 inches too high for the pot, but by morning its cooked down and my house has an incredible smell.

Oh yea, the thread was about Turkeys.  I cant cook a Turkey properly.

• Haha 1

Schu's butterfly method is a good one.  Also there's nothing like a smoked turkey if you have the time.  For a simple oven roast I use an Alton Brown method.  Rub the skin with peanut oil and season, but remember certain seasonings will burn.  You can also rub seasoning inside the skin taking care not to break it, the last time I used a seasoned butter.  Tuck the wings under, or truss, preheat the oven to 500degrees.  Put the bird in feet first for 30 minutes, remove and reset the oven to 350.  Using a double layer of heavy duty aluminum foil, cover the breast in a triangle, the shape from the front down to the legs determines this.  Put back into the 350 oven and finish off for a couple or few hours until the dark meat thickest part of the thigh reads around 180.  The foil cover keeps the breast meat from over cooking and drying out.  Ideally it will be 165 when the dark meat is 185, after resting a good 30 minutes.  Caveat---this method works for a 12 to 16 pound bird.  If you need more it is better to cook 2 small birds instead one humongous one, which will take a different method.  Also, always feet first because the back is the hotter part of the oven and the bones of the legs are not a worry.  

• Moderators

Cooking turkey, easy, going to my sisters house, she will do it. 

We swapped holidays a year back, it's actually alot easier this way, we did both Thanksgiving and Christmas before the change.

I like them smoked, Hickory and Oak, but a roaster or oven is fine if not overdone. 

EDIT: With everything we have to cook and only one oven we use one of these for the turkey to free up the oven, works great.

81yA8Y6tFqL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, dtel said:

We swapped holidays a year back, it's actually alot easier this way, we did both Thanksgiving and Christmas before the change.

I like them smoked, Hickory and Oak, but a roaster or oven is fine if not overdone. 

EDIT: With everything we have to cook and only one oven we use one of these for the turkey to free up the oven, works great.

Im wanting to pick one of those up just because Crock pots  aren't big enough. Dont know if it will cook like a Crock though?  My uncle uses one of those large roasters for his Prime Rib, another reason I skip the Turkey.

31 minutes ago, dtel said:

81yA8Y6tFqL._SL1500_.jpg

Making Weed Infused Turkey

Legit dispensaries sell weed-infused edibles of all sorts of variety, so if you’re looking for a little bomb in your tom, chances are you can find somewhere that peddles it. But you can make your own too.

A recipe from the Baked Series gives you everything you need to make Thanksgiving dinner that is a real weed winner. The gist of the recipe is as follows:

• Make butter infused with cannabis using water, unsalted butter, and ¼ ounce of marijuana. Make this in advance as it needs to cool overnight.
  • Create the marinade using your cannabis-infused butter from above, stock, maple syrup, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and garlic.
  • Rub the turkey down with cannabis-infused butter, salt and pepper then inject the marinade.
  • Cook the turkey as you normally would (i.e., in several long hours, it’ll be ready).
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I would think it would do well, just make sure the temp goes down to what you would like for slow cooking. I just went to look, the one we use goes down to 150 degrees as the lowest setting, 450 as the highest. It does well as a big crockpot, the wife uses it for a big roast along with potatoes carrots and other things and leaves it to cook all day.

To me one important thing is to make sure the pan or inside is removable for cleaning, it helps alot. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

Making Weed Infused Turkey

I have a problem eating too much already, that would not help at all. 

It would be like a never ending cycle until I explode.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, baron167 said:

You'll love it! What wood (smoke) are you going with?

I have a Competition blend of pellets Hickory, Maple, Apple.  First time trying them, The cool thing about the Traeger Grill is it does not seem to overdo the smoke and you can control the amount of flavor simply by leaving the grill on smoke longer or shorter, once cranked up to 350 for the cook time it does not smoke much at all

• Like 1

5 hours ago, USNRET said:

I did three 20 pounders @ 225 for 6 hours 9 minutes week before last.

What grill are you using ?

I had the big egg and never got the hang  of maintaining the temp, The Traeger is MUCH MUCH Easier Lazy mans smoker / grill ( Dont tell the wife, I have her convinced its a chore)

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, joessportster said:

What grill are you using ?

I had the big egg and never got the hang  of maintaining the temp, The Traeger is MUCH MUCH Easier Lazy mans smoker / grill ( Dont tell the wife, I have her convinced its a chore)

Rec Tec RT 700

Smokey.jpg

• Like 3

Last year I smoked two 14 pound turkey's on my Green Mountain Pellet Grill and they turned out great.  The 7 or 8 years before, they were deep fried at my best friends house and were great.  This year, my mother in law is baking one in the oven.  I'm not a big fan of her cooking so this should be interesting.  This year, we aren't cooking in out tiny rent house and are going out there since our new house won't be ready till Christmas, hopefully.

Next year, I'll smoke a couple doing the Spatchcock method (butterfly, basically).  My best friend is doing his that way this year as a trial run.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, joessportster said:

The cool thing about the Traeger Grill is it does not seem to overdo the smoke

Didn't know you could overdo the smoke. 

I use wood only and it has never had to much smoke flavor, even with 12+ hour cooks.

1 hour ago, USNRET said:

Rec Tec RT 700

Looks like alot of white smoke, is it burning right ?