How you cooking your bird for Thanksgiving

joessportster

17 hours ago, joessportster said:

Sorry for the large text above the forum just keeps the font when you copy and paste, which I did above because I could not spell Emeril Lagasse :(

On a happier note I just discovered Alton Browns secret to Brining with almost no issues. Wish I had seen this sooner, Brining in ones only fridge is a pain in the A$$

"Alton Brown: No, it’s not too long. Technically, you could brine a turkey for several days. The trick is in two things–brine concentration versus mass. You could either soak a bird for a long time in weak brine, or for a short time in a stronger one. You’re better with weaker brine and a longer soak, so take the standard brine that we use in “Good Eats,” and you could easily do that overnight. If you’re afraid of it being too salty, you might cut back to 3/4 cup of salt instead of the full cup, but leave the sugar amount the same. I’ve gotten to where I really like to thaw my turkeys in brine, because I can make my brine, keep it in a cooler, toss in my frozen bird, and leave it for days if I want without worrying about the temperature getting too high. It will stay really cold, but, at the same time, the water will help thaw the bird. So when it’s thawed, it’s already brined. But that is an imprecise science, so you have to work with it. If I feel the brine will get too warm, I’ll add a bit of ice. So far, that hasn’t happened. It stays around 40 degrees."

I brine mine for about 24 hours.  I just leave it in the garage since it's cold enough up here in the frozen north...stays at around 36-40 inside the bucket.  Good thing I didn't have to brine it a few days ago when it was 3 degrees outside.

• Like 2

I have never tried a smoking a turkey (or deep frying), although I occasionally buy smoked drum sticks from the deli which we shave for cold cuts.

We are old school - classic whole bird stuffed with dressing and roasted. The extra dressing I will pack around the neck, roll in foil and put in the oven the last hour or so. Then mix it in with the dressing from the bird cavity. Not fancy but always good.