How you cooking your bird for Thanksgiving

joessportster

3 hours ago, dtel said:

EDIT: With everything we have to cook and only one oven we use one of these for the turkey to free up the oven, works great.

I heard that, that's why I like cooking the bird outside on the Kamado. And of course it tastes splendid also.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, dtel said:

Didn't know you could overdo the smoke. 

I use wood only and it has never had to much smoke flavor, even with 12+ hour cooks.

Looks like alot of white smoke, is it burning right ?

That was my initial 500 degree burn in from factory. Tongs for placing hot smoke tubes. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, oldtimer said:
2 hours ago, joessportster said:

They are telling me 2.5 to 3 hours on smoke, then 350 for 4 hours or till done

Blended pellets Hickory, Maple, Apple...........

That's what we consider, hot and fast.

True, not really smoked, no reason to finish in oven except being in a rush.

If you're getting to much smoke the smoker is not working right, and never smoke with anything but a completely OPEN exhaust. To smoke, 225 degrees for however long it takes to get the right internal temp. Everything goes by internal temp, time does not matter. 

1 hour ago, dtel said:

True, not really smoked, no reason to finish in oven except being in a rush.

If you're getting to much smoke the smoker is not working right, and never smoke with anything but a completely OPEN exhaust. To smoke, 225 degrees for however long it takes to get the right internal temp. Everything goes by internal temp, time does not matter. 

Not too much smoke, I just like the way they designed this smoker, It will allow you to use it as an oven basically or smoke to hearts (or wallets) desire :) 

19 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Grab a couple of Amaz n ribs smoke tubes and get smoke at all temps

Never heard of these, will have to look that one up.........................

10 hours ago, dtel said:

That is nice, great for smoking cheese or fish with low temperatures,  perfect for cheese which I can't do now because of temperatures.

I've been using the AMNPS 5x8 for about 6 years now.  Mostly used it for cold smoking home-cured bacon but I have also done a lot of cheese, which turns out great.

As for my turkey, I used to smoke them but I was never happy with the flavor so about 8 years ago I began brining them for 24-48 hours, then leaving them in the fridge overnight to dry out on a platter.  I rub fresh herbs and butter under the skin and cook it at 400F using this method, which only takes 2 hours or even less if it's smaller:

https://lifehacker.com/5860136/this-is-how-you-should-cook-your-turkey-next-thursday-or-you-could-waste-hours-of-your-life

Roast turkey for 45 minutes. Remove pan from oven; baste turkey with juices from pan. Using 2 large wads of paper towels, turn turkey wing side up. If liquid in pan has totally evaporated, add another 1/2 cup water. Return turkey to oven and roast for 15 minutes. Remove turkey from oven again, baste, and rotate so that other wing side is up; roast for another 15 minutes. Remove turkey from oven again, baste, and turn it breast side up; roast until breast registers 160 degrees and thighs register 175 degrees, 30 to 45 minutes.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Cody_Mack said:
On 11/18/2018 at 12:17 PM, joessportster said:

Traegar says 7 hours (Ish), 2.5-3 hrs smoke at 250, then 4 hours at 350 check temp of course min. 165 degree

Hmmm, duration sounds ok, but temps too high, me thinks...especially the 350!

Rick

Sounds like a recipe for turkey jerky.

Joessportster, get yourself a thermometer that can stay in the turkey while cooking and go with the safe internal temperature no matter how you cook it. This way it is not terribly overcooked and dry or even worse undercooked. Preferably one that you can monitor with opening the oven or smoker, like the little wireless models, not all of them are expensive.

Hate to see you mess it up on Thanksgiving, never cook by time, internal meat temp is best, time is only a rough estimate.

Just last week I overheard that Thanksgiving was here. Wonder if anyone was going to tell me before the folks showed up :huh:

Geeze, almost finished cleaning for all that are coming. We haven't had a decent oven in ten years. Bad whirlpools and bad sears ended my lifelong loyalty to those brands.

It's tough cooking something for over an hour, I have to babysit it and vary the temp when it goes bonkers. Replacing thermostat and other under warranty parts doesn't change anything it's a bad company/product!

Last turkey almost twenty pounds was a nightmare with this oven, can't afford a Viking just yet.

So:

https://mertscharlotte.com/

getting a fried turkey from these guys this year.

Nice folks and good food although my cornbread is better than theirs!!

Sausage cheese balls tonight, chex mix (kinda, the ingredients changed since long ago) & pumpkin pie tomorrow.  She's making the pecan pie!

Others are bringing the ham and the rest.

Dang, how did grandma cook those literal feasts for her six kids and their families all of those years?

I am grateful for that alone to start out with.

Always fresh and good everybody had turkey sandwiches to eat for the trips back home.

22 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

Making Weed Infused Turkey

Legit dispensaries sell weed-infused edibles of all sorts of variety, so if you’re looking for a little bomb in your tom, chances are you can find somewhere that peddles it. But you can make your own too.

A recipe from the Baked Series gives you everything you need to make Thanksgiving dinner that is a real weed winner. The gist of the recipe is as follows:

• Make butter infused with cannabis using water, unsalted butter, and ¼ ounce of marijuana. Make this in advance as it needs to cool overnight.
  • Create the marinade using your cannabis-infused butter from above, stock, maple syrup, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and garlic.
  • Rub the turkey down with cannabis-infused butter, salt and pepper then inject the marinade.
  • Cook the turkey as you normally would (i.e., in several long hours, it’ll be ready).

Maybe I'm missing something but wouldn't you smoke it after that?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dtel said:

Sounds like a recipe for turkey jerky.

Joessportster, get yourself a thermometer that can stay in the turkey while cooking and go with the safe internal temperature no matter how you cook it. This way it is not terribly overcooked and dry or even worse undercooked. Preferably one that you can monitor with opening the oven or smoker, like the little wireless models, not all of them are expensive.

Hate to see you mess it up on Thanksgiving, never cook by time, internal meat temp is best, time is only a rough estimate.

Thats what they tell me. Its not how I cook. I only ever use internal temps on ALL MEATS. Appreciate the advice though.

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Just last week I overheard that Thanksgiving was here. Wonder if anyone was going to tell me before the folks showed up :huh:

Geeze, almost finished cleaning for all that are coming. We haven't had a decent oven in ten years. Bad whirlpools and bad sears ended my lifelong loyalty to those brands.

It's tough cooking something for over an hour, I have to babysit it and vary the temp when it goes bonkers. Replacing thermostat and other under warranty parts doesn't change anything it's a bad company/product!

Last turkey almost twenty pounds was a nightmare with this oven, can't afford a Viking just yet.

So:

https://mertscharlotte.com/

getting a fried turkey from these guys this year.

Nice folks and good food although my cornbread is better than theirs!!

Sausage cheese balls tonight, chex mix (kinda, the ingredients changed since long ago) & pumpkin pie tomorrow.  She's making the pecan pie!

Others are bringing the ham and the rest.

Dang, how did grandma cook those literal feasts for her six kids and their families all of those years?

I am grateful for that alone to start out with.

Always fresh and good everybody had turkey sandwiches to eat for the trips back home.

Emeril Lagasse says never buy a turkey over 15 pounds................I personally dont know why I just happened to read that while looking up brining

• Like 1

Sorry for the large text above the forum just keeps the font when you copy and paste, which I did above because I could not spell Emeril Lagasse :(

On a happier note I just discovered Alton Browns secret to Brining with almost no issues. Wish I had seen this sooner, Brining in ones only fridge is a pain in the A$$

"Alton Brown: No, it’s not too long. Technically, you could brine a turkey for several days. The trick is in two things–brine concentration versus mass. You could either soak a bird for a long time in weak brine, or for a short time in a stronger one. You’re better with weaker brine and a longer soak, so take the standard brine that we use in “Good Eats,” and you could easily do that overnight. If you’re afraid of it being too salty, you might cut back to 3/4 cup of salt instead of the full cup, but leave the sugar amount the same. I’ve gotten to where I really like to thaw my turkeys in brine, because I can make my brine, keep it in a cooler, toss in my frozen bird, and leave it for days if I want without worrying about the temperature getting too high. It will stay really cold, but, at the same time, the water will help thaw the bird. So when it’s thawed, it’s already brined. But that is an imprecise science, so you have to work with it. If I feel the brine will get too warm, I’ll add a bit of ice. So far, that hasn’t happened. It stays around 40 degrees."